HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Cool EVANSTON | 708 Church St. (Fountain Square Tower) | 409 FT| 35 FLOORS

here's the current rendering. 385'/35 floors

outdated images of older versions of this tower and of the now defunct Horner/HSA proposal for the same block.

here's the previous design when the tower was planned to be 421'/38 floors

Klutznik/Focus - original proposal - 523'/49 floors

Horner/HSA - 421'/37 floors - now a dead proposal

photoshopped together:

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 26, 2009 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:20 PM

Wouldn't be surprised if this gets knocked down to the 30-435 story range

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:24 PM

The design is nothing spectacular, but being in Evanston it is quite significant.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
Wouldn't be surprised if this gets knocked down to the 30-435 story range
i wouldn't be surprised if it gets nixed altogether, afterall evanston's official city motto is "progress without change".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle2 View Post
The design is nothing spectacular, but being in Evanston it is quite significant.
design-wise, it's light-years beyond the previous roczak proposal for the site. after seeing this, i'm overjoyed that one died on the vine.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:29 PM
BANNED

Legacy anyone?

Looks just like it from this angle, probably doesn't have the sweet setback pattern on the backside though. Its supposed to have th wedge shape like Legacy as well...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Legacy anyone?
indeed, there is some similarity. and with booth hansen at the helm, i'd expect this to have a high quality facade treatment. perhaps it's nothing earth-shattering in the form department, but i think this one would turn out pretty damn nice. let's all hope evanston isn't stupid and demand that the project be dumbed down.

one question though. in the rendering, the existing 8 story fountain square building appears to be out of the picture for an expanded public square, yet there's no mention of its demo in the article. we don't have all the facts here.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i wouldn't be surprised if it gets nixed altogether, afterall evanston's official city motto is "progress without change".
Evanston is just too damn liberal when it comes to allowing others to be part of the governing process. They have to appease and satisfy the demands of every little interest group in town, whether it be northwestern, transit users, car users, affordable housing advocates, preservationists, or whoever. So good projects become crappy projects or get scrapped all together because some small minority is in opposition.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcu View Post
Evanston is just too damn liberal when it comes to allowing others to be part of the governing process. They have to appease and satisfy the demands of every little interest group in town, whether it be northwestern, transit users, car users, affordable housing advocates, preservationists, or whoever. So good projects become crappy projects or get scrapped all together because some small minority is in opposition.
As frustrating as Evanstonian NIMBYs are, you surely aren't giving adequate "respect" where it's due in Oak Park and Hyde Park. Evanston is practically Dubai compared to those places.

This could actually happen in a form similar to what is proposed, the word seems to be that "if there's gonna be a skyscraper in Evanston, it would be right here"

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
As frustrating as Evanstonian NIMBYs are, you surely aren't giving adequate "respect" where it's due in Oak Park and Hyde Park. Evanston is practically Dubai compared to those places.

This could actually happen in a form similar to what is proposed, the word seems to be that "if there's gonna be a skyscraper in Evanston, it would be right here"
I think those place are better examples of "capture" by a particular interest group (also see west loop gate). My view of Evanston is slightly more positive. Evanston government is well intentioned just misguided.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 9:57 PM

What!?! Didn't see that one coming nor would I have ever guessed in my wildest dreams that a building like that would go up in Evanston.

I think that building looks fantastic especially in that location.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
indeed, there is some similarity. and with booth hansen at the helm, i'd expect this to have a high quality facade treatment. perhaps it's nothing earth-shattering in the form department, but i think this one would turn out pretty damn nice. let's all hope evanston isn't stupid and demand that the project be dumbed down.

one question though. in the rendering, the existing 8 story fountain square building appears to be out of the picture for an expanded public square, yet there's no mention of its demo in the article. we don't have all the facts here.
Good, the cat's out of the bag. This is the project I mentioned a while back.

Concerning the corner building, it absolutely would be coming down.

You are correct - with Booth-Hansen involved, it's going to be a very pleasant and well-detailed tower.

If they're going to allow all of this stuff to be demolished, I sincerely hope it doesn't get scaled down into a bland version of itself at present.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Concerning the corner building, it absolutely would be coming down.
thanks for clearing that up. at least in this scheme it appears as though the hahn building will remain intact and "un-facedomized", and that's wonderful news as the hahn building is by far the nicest of the 3 exisiting buildings on the block.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:07 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Actually, I think that tower is pretty good.

Hard to tell from the little render though.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

just for reference, here's an image of the now defunct 38-story Roszak proposal for the fountain sqaure block:

i have to say that this new scheme is a significant improvement upon the old plan.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 26, 2007 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 10:53 PM

Nice one Steely... sorta like "X" condo. Both cities have obvious references.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 11:36 PM
Proud Homer!

There's hope for Clayton (Evanston's peer city) after all. If Evanston can go this tall, then so can Clayton.

Great looking project!!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 11:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Is it just me or does anyone else, aside from height, like that Roszak version better?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 11:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else, aside from height, like that Roszak version better?
it's just you. the roszak plan was far worse from a preservation aspect, facedomizing the hahn building into the incredibly cheezy-looking white metal panel retail podium structure. what's even worse is the the ground level retail of the hahn building would have been obliterated for parking, meaning that the facade of the hahn building would have masked a parking gararge, even at the ground level! that would have been truly awful form an urban design standpoint. as for the towers, the only thing superior about the roszak scheme is that it would have mixed in a hotel with the condo uses, as opposed to the straight condo tower in the new scheme. being the absolute heart of downtown evanston, i would have liked to have seen more mixing of uses, but what can you do, i'll gladly settle for a nicely detailed 500' condo tower with ground floor retail and full preservation for the landmarked hahn building.

plus, if you're familair with the works of booth hansen and roszak ADC, there should be absolutely no surprise as to why i have FAR more confidence in the former to design an execute a new building befitting the title of "evanston's tallest".

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 27, 2007 at 12:07 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:06 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Perhaps it's just the watercolor rendering, but I really like it, I think it's very attractive and a definite centerpiece for downtown Evanston.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 12:37 AM

Now there's going to be a skyscraper compition between the Chicagoland suburbs

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects