HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Dec 15, 2005, 3:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Yark, argh, hiss. More parking lots. Maybe they will enlargen that massive Canadian flag out front by a third. Who are they really trying to kid?

Canadian, my ass.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2005, 5:06 AM
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft

I don't get to check on other threads that much but I am glad to here London is booming too!!! Spread the wealth!!! ---Cheers BOB---

Old Posted Dec 17, 2005, 4:51 PM
Londoner

NOTICE OF APPLICATION

NOTICE OF APPLICATION

Here's some new news that I read from the city!
This is great for the downtown area it is booming.

The Municipal Council for the City of London is considering an amendment to the City’s Zoning By-law
We are
advising you of this application to invite your comments.

APPLICANT: Auburn Developments Inc.

POSSIBLE
AMENDMENT:
Change Zoning By-law Z.-1 from "Holding Downtown Area (h-3.DA2.D350.H90) "
(.7 acrewhich permits a broad range of residential, office and facility type uses at a
maximum density of 350 units per hectare and a maximum height of 90m subject
to completion of a wind study to "Downtown Area (DA2.D750.H90) " to permit
the same range of uses at a maximum density of 750 units per hectare and a
maximum height of 90 m (295 ft.) or approximately 28 storeys .
The purpose and effect of this zoning change is to permit the construction of a
23 storey, 210 unit apartment building on the .28 ha ) site (see
attached).The applicant has also submitted a site plan application (SP 05-
101845) which includes a site plan, building elevation and photo elevations (see
attached). Please note that because the applicant’s have requested bonusing
and the review process has just started, that the attached plans may change.
The final site plan, elevations etc. will be included in the bonusing clauses
included in the site plan agreement.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2005, 4:18 PM
Londoner

East London Home Depot put on hold

London council last night stalled plans to build a Home Depot in east London so it could hear more from merchants who say they'll be squeezed out by the big-box retailer.

Many local business owners were blindsided by news Home Depot had been given a green light last week by the city's planning committee, Coun. Bill Armstrong said.

From family stores to established chains such as Canadian Tire, all deserve more of a chance to speak out about a development that could be the death knoll for some, he said.

"They're good corporate citizens. They deserve a right to speak," Armstrong said.

Planning committee chairperson Roger Caranci defended the process, saying, "We did have a public participation meeting. No business showed."

But the process followed, while legal, was inadequate, Coun. Joni Baechler said. Rules require notices be sent only to property owners within 400 feet.

That's not enough for a big-box store that can drive others out of business, a phenomenon some researchers have dubbed the "kill rate," Baechler said.

There's a glut of vacant commercial property in London -- about one million square feet -- so a new big box will add to that problem, she said.

The Home Depot would be on land north of Dundas Street and south of the train tracks, east of Clarke Road. The land had been earmarked for a 100-unit subdivision by the city's official plan.

Other business relied on that plan, anticipated new homes and expanded stores, Coun. Fred Tranquilli said.

To change the plan that dramatically would be unprecedented, he said.

"We should (only) do it with an abundance of caution," he said.

But Caranci said the time for housing had come and gone with no takers. The best hope for development now was for retail on the scale of nearby Argyle Mall.

"Nobody here's bigger on residential development in east London than me, but it won't happen here," Caranci said.

His colleagues weren't so convinced, voting 11-7 to refer the issue back to planning committee to seek more public input.

The area is served by Canadian Tire, Rona, Wal-Mart, Home Hardware, Copp's Buildall and a TSC store.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2005, 2:32 AM
Londoner

ReForest the forest city suprasses goal for 2005

Volunteers planted nearly 2,500 trees and shrubs across the city this year, surpassing ReForest London’s goal of 1,500 plantings.

“This year has been so encouraging,” said Julie Ryan of ReForest London. “I think it’s an important contribution by Londoners.”

Maples, oaks and tulip trees were among the native species planted across the city in parks, along streets and in schoolyards, she said.

“You’d be surprised how many schoolyards don’t have trees,” she said.

Megan Williams, a teacher at the Academie de la Tamise, a French public elementary school in London, is part of one group trying to raise the funds needed to secure the matching support from ReForest London for a 2006 project.

She hopes to raise enough money to plant at least six new trees at the school next year, she said.

“There’s absolutely no trees where the kids play,” she said.

“I really think (the students) will enjoy the shade,” she said.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2005, 6:01 PM
Londoner

Capulet Lane Apartment

The Capulet Lane Apartment is in the Old West end of the city it is 12 floors Construction end 2005. More to come soon!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2005, 5:16 PM
Community Guy

^im sorry, but that is just awful.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 29, 2005, 12:01 AM

That building is only about 100m from my building! (It looks a lot like mine too).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2005, 2:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That crane has been planting weeks all year.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2005, 5:07 PM
Londoner

Gurnham sees rosy future

The president of the London Chamber of Commerce is 'much more optimistic.'

London Chamber of Commerce president David Gurnham said the city has an edge thanks to its proximity to Cami Automotive in Ingersoll and the coming Toyota plant. (Ken Wightman ,LFP)
David Gurnham is trained to look at the bottom line and by that measure, he says the city's economy is in good shape.

Gurnham, a 48-year-old chartered accountant, took over as president of the London Chamber of Commerce in July.

A partner in the London office of Deloitte, he works closely with manufacturing clients, especially in the automotive sector.

Despite the intense pressures facing the North American auto industry, he said London's workforce and proximity to Cami Automotive and the soon-to-be-built Toyota plant gives the city an edge. "There is going to be a fundamental shift with winners and losers, but we will have enough winners to do very well."

The Halifax native ended up in Deloitte's Toronto office, but decided to settle in London. "I was attracted by the size of the city. I like Toronto, but I didn't want to raise a family there."

Gurnham's wife, Eveline, is a real estate agent with Royal Lepage. The couple have a son attending Carleton University in Ottawa and a son and daughter at Saunders secondary school.

To balance his working life, Gurnham runs about five times a week and escapes to the family cottage near Peterborough. He has also coached minor hockey for about 10 years, currently coaching a West London midget team.

While Gurnham is optimistic about the local auto industry, he said the chamber needs to act on potential economic threats, such as gridlock at the crucial Windsor border crossing.

He said auto-related businesses are incurring higher transportation costs, especially when security is tightened, but progress on a new border crossing at Windsor has been slow.

Gurnham said the rising value of the Canadian dollar has been painful to many export-oriented businesses, but so far most have been able to handle the pressure.

"If you had asked me when we had a 62-cent dollar whether we would be in trouble at 87 cents, I would have said yes, but we are still doing reasonably well."

After several years when the chamber slammed sharp increases in municipal taxes, Gurnham said he would like to have a "balanced" relationship with city hall, noting the chamber was "reasonably happy" with this year's city budget.

He said he would also like to broaden the chamber's membership. There are about 1,000 members, but there are about 9,000-12,000 businesses that aren't.

Gurnham said the best part of his chamber role is the energy he draws from the people he meets.

"I've met a lot of people who are genuinely interested in making London a better place to live . . . I am much more optimistic about the city."

Old Posted Jan 2, 2006, 10:47 PM
Londoner

Update

Update!

There a update on the new 13 floors Proudfoot lane apartments by old oak's.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2006, 5:50 PM
Londoner

Downtown strives to boost unique character

Bob Usher, general manager of Covent Garden Market and the incoming chairperson of the London Downtown Business Association, says the downtown needs "more people, more employment options, and the parking issue needs to be addressed.

For downtown London to survive in the Big Box world of tomorrow, it needs to develop a unique character, says Robert T. Usher, the new chairperson of the London Downtown Business Association (LDBA), which represents more than 400 local businesses.

The downtown is improving, Mr. Usher said in an interview with The Londoner - something people who haven't visited for a while always notice.

But to succeed, "We need to be different from the big box stores and continue to keep the uniqueness downtown."

Usher, general manager of Covent Garden Market, brings a broad background to his new role. He has experience provincially with five years as the Ontario regional manager of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS). His regional experience includes work with Olympia and York in development, travelling back and forth to Toronto and as director of tourism for Sarnia-Lambton. Locally he has 14 years as general manager of White Oaks Mall.

As general manager of Covent Garden Market he has seen a 27 per cent increase in sales up of the end of October from two years ago and the market has been ranked in the top 10 nationally. He also does retail consulting on the side.

Like many Londoners, he is passionate about this place he calls home.

"London is where I want to be. London is home and will probably always be."

What do you see as the priorities for downtown London in terms of redevelopment?

There are a couple of major issues and one of them is the tax evaluation process. We want to take a good look at that and some of the inequalities. We also want to continue to drive MainStreet. (The Downtown Business Association is the funding partner of MainStreet).

We also want to continue to fill the vacancies downtown. There's even evidence of new construction with the geared-to-income housing development. There are opportunities that we need to continue to attract. One of the goals of the LDBA through MainStreet is to find a way to allow individuals to look at their properties because there is an incentive for redevelopment. We need to start looking at some incentives to do better.

There are 51 vendors in Covent Garden Market. It's that type of individual who will succeed downtown. We need to be different from the big box stores and continue to keep the uniqueness downtown.

The one thing you need to be clear on is that it is not Bob Usher's job. I am working with a very committed board. My job is to facilitate the roles and actions. I have a very committed board that think outside of the box. We even brought in outside real estate to find some creative ways because of the committed board.

What have been the major successes downtown over the past few years?

If you look around the vacancy rates are way down, with the success here at the market, and the John Labatt Centre with things like the Memorial Cup - when people who came downtown that haven't been here in a while, they were pleasantly surprised.

What does downtown absolutely have to have? A grocery store, for example?

Grocery has always been perceived as missing in downtown. I'm not sure if grocery is the issue. What we need is more diversity in services. What we need is the ability to buy dry goods. We have noticed our customers buy fresh two or three times a week. It certainly needs more people, more employment options, and the parking issue needs to be addressed.

Although in the past everyone thought they could drive up to the front of a store and shop, but if you were in another city you would find that London with its parking is good. We need to look at our expectations in a realistic way. Downtown is pretty healthy.

If you look at Jonathon (Jonathon Bancroft-Snell Interiors) and Mark who has just opened up the chocolate bar, when you look at that you begin to say isn't that just a bit creative. There is an audience. The Novack's of the world that offers something unique.

Downtown is unique and different. It's entrepreneurial and it offers a real variety. Look at Kingsmill's, it's been there 150 years but the product they sell is unique across the city. Certainly the entertainment factor is huge.

How can or will the Creative Cities Report impact the city's downtown?

I haven't participated. Janette MacDonald, manager of MainStreet London has for both our boards. We, from a creative city's stance, need to be looked at beyond economics and clean streets. The city will be looked at from the soft components like the arts. Our younger generation are realizing that the arts and heritage are important. This city, in a lot of ways, we're losing our young people. When we redevelop we have to look into the other side of the equation, there's a cause and effect.

There's a reality that exists, what is it that we will be leaving behind? As LDBA and MainStreet, we are always aware of that. What are the long-term benefits and it always contains the arts and heritage, it has to. It has to have a business case but we all want to be proud of our community.

What are the biggest inhibitors to a successful downtown?

The biggest inhibitor right now is people's perception. People who haven't been here in a while need to come down and walk around. It's not what it used to be but it's different. Pretty much every city has had to reinvent and reinvest in their downtown. For people in White Oaks and Masonville, that is their downtown. But we have evidence now and we can prove and show that it is rapidly improving with things to do. Downtown is a living, healthy microcosm. It is always changing and there are natural evolutions and I believe we are ahead of the game. One of the things we don't want to look at is just the punitive end of cleaning up downtown with all the partners.

How can heritage and development work collaboratively in re-inventing downtown?

I think as some of these buildings are being sold and second and third generation Londoners are starting to pick them up, we need to educate owners about the value of the buildings and the ambiance it creates.

At the same time we are cognisant about what we are saving. Is it structurally sound? Is it worth saving? Our role is to bring these two together. We should be looking at that process very seriously every time.

What would be on your wish list for downtown for 2006?

I think I've mentioned a few of them already. My number one issue would be that the media take a realistic look at downtown and report on the positive. Because of the political will and the volunteers and the amazing amount of time that city employees put into downtown is huge. Downtown has come a long way.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2006, 1:16 AM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

ok you crazy Londoners, I will be moving to your fair city for two months starting Jan 28/29th. I need a 2 month short-term lease for myself and my fiance. Anyone got some leads?

Flickr®

Old Posted Jan 19, 2006, 5:53 PM
Londoner

London airport flying high

Almost 400,000 passengers flew from its runways last year.

London airport saw a record number of passengers lifting off its tarmac last year, as nearly 400,000 took flight -- a 24 per cent increase over 2004.

And for the first time in its history, the number of passengers from outside London exceeded Londoners -- 55 per cent from the region -- and cemented the airport's status as a regional transportation hub, Steve Baker, president and chief executive of London International Airport, said yesterday.

"It is a record, all-time high for us, it is phenomenal growth," he said.

Most airports in Canada saw traffic increase four to six per cent.

"The difference for us now is that we are marketing ourselves outside London. When we built the new terminal, we wanted to become the hub of transportation in Southwestern Ontario and the airlines are telling us more people are travelling from London."

The growth coincides with a solid year for Tourism London, said John Winston, general manager of Tourism London. The city played host to 34,236 visitors last year, a an increase of 2,000, or five per cent, from 2004.

The city got a boost from the Memorial Cup, which saw about 2,000 visitors for the events. But an academic humanities conference -- the city's largest conference to date -- saw 6,000 visitors from around the world in London for two weeks filling the hotels, he said.

Rounding out the year's top tourist events were the World Transplant Games, which attracted 1,500 visitors.

While those numbers will be tough to top, Tourism London is looking to three more big events to keep people coming to London. This year, the city hosts the Scott Tournament of Hearts Canadian women's curling championship, the world field lacrosse championships and the LPGA Canadian Open.

As for the airport, greater demand for service has seen carriers increase flights from the city. Westjet shut down its Windsor service and consolidated those flights to London, increasing flights here to seven a week from four

Old Posted Jan 25, 2006, 2:42 AM
Londoner

Ward appeal both get nod

Home Depot, ward appeal both get nod

East London will get a new Home Depot despite concern about its effect on local business.

City council approved the big box store north of Dundas Street east of Clarke Road on land previously earmarked for a 100-unit subdivision.

"I see nothing but good coming from this development," said Ward 4 Coun. Roger Caranci, chairperson of council's planning committee.

"And there is interest in new housing in East London but in other locations. We've sacrificed 100 lots to potentially getting hundreds more."

The controversial development was opposed by Caranci's wardmate, Coun. Bill Armstrong, who argued the big box store would hurt local retailers and take away much-needed residential land.

Coun. David Winninger agreed.

"This development may be good for the proponent, but it's not good for the neighbourhood," Winninger said.

Several businesses expressed concern about the Home Depot and sent letters. But no one objected at a second public meeting last week, Caranci noted.

The cost to clean up the site is estimated at $2.3 million, which would include drainage and fencing, a cost that discouraged residential developers, Caranci said.

Though the Home Depot may be a concern for some local businesses, Caranci said, it will improve the attractiveness of the entire Argyle commercial area and fuel more residential development.

A move to defer a decision for two weeks to get more information on a legal dispute related to the land sale failed to get support of council.

In other business, a motion for city council to reconsider London's appeal of an Ontario Municipal Board order to replace the current seven-ward electoral system with 14 wards was defeated without discussion.

Coun. Harold Usher, who supported the appeal, said it would be a waste of money because Londoners appear to have accepted the idea.

But Usher's motion for reconsideration failed to get the required two-thirds majority support of the 19-member council to get on the table for discussion.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2006, 5:12 AM
Londoner

Retail space expands

This is good news to me I live two minites from that corner. Before I would have to drive 20 mins to go to the new home depot across the city.

Despite claims of a glut, demand keeps rising, so developers keep adding new shopping space.

Consumer confidence is being credited for a drop in London's retail vacancy rate in 2005, despite a flurry of new construction.

The vacancy rate dropped a full point to 7.4 per cent over the course of the year, said Peter Whatmore of the London office of CB Richard Ellis.

Just over 200,000 square feet of additional retail space was constructed in the city last year, but almost twice as much, 376,749 square feet, was absorbed in the market.

Whatmore, a senior vice-president, says the vacancy drop shows consumer confidence -- spending -- and the retail trade is strong in the city.

"The debate about London being overretailed has been lurking around for 20 years, but we continue to get new construction," he said.

The vacancy rate in the downtown core dropped from 15.4 to 14.4 per cent per cent, partly because of ongoing conversion of retail space to office space in Galleria London.

But even without the conversion, there was a net drop of 32,000 square feet in downtown vacant space. Vacancies in the suburban area fell, with the exception of east London, where they rose slightly.

Major retail projects completed or underway include:

- RioCan's development of a 325,000-square-foot centre at Highbury Avenue and Commissioners Road, anchored by a Loblaws and a Rona outlet.

- A new 147,137-square-foot Home Depot and Michael's Arts and Crafts store at Wonderland and Southland Roads.

- A Wal-Mart expansion in northwest London and its opening of a fourth location.

Whatmore said the rapid suburban expansion marks a shift in retail patterns.

"There's no question that the transition out of malls and into big-box space will continue," he said.

But the boom of retail growth on the fringes of the city is still raising concerns.

Ward 1 Councillor Judy Bryant said she is cheered by some improvement in downtown vacancies, but said city council is allowing retail expansion in the suburbs with no regard for the city's official plan.

"We are paying dearly for all of this. We cannot afford to service all these peripheral areas."

Developers are favouring suburban development, she said, simply because it is cheaper.

The downtown businesses will continue to suffer along with smaller retail nodes such as the corner of Hyde Park and Gainsborough roads in her ward, she added.

"It's pushing lots of local businesses out. It's such a terrible shame

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 2:04 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

NOT sure if this has been reported in this thread yet, but some exciting news, there's a picture of it in the paper today:

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/News/Loc...20653-sun.html

Landowner will build it if they come

Wed, February 1, 2006

By JOE BELANGER, FREE PRESS CITY HALL REPORTER

Shmuel Farhi is ready, but is London?

That's what London's largest downtown landowner wants to know as he lays the groundwork for what could become the city's most luxurious core residential tower at the site of the former Central Library on Queens Avenue.

"Is this city ready for something this luxurious? When the market tells me they are, I'll be moving on it right away," Farhi said yesterday.

For now, his proposed 30-storey, $35-million-plus project is just a drawing, the largest project he's tackled.

But Farhi is moving ahead with plans to redevelop the library building he bought from the city for $2.4 million into "signature" office space that would house one or a few major tenants.

"We are talking to a few clients, but nothing is done yet," Farhi said. "We will renovate to their specifications, their needs."

The condo tower would have 28 floors above ground and two below.

It would be set back and slightly to the east of the library building.

The first three floors would be occupied by three street-level townhouses, designed to resemble the library.

The rest of the highrise would be designed "to complement" the city's tallest downtown tower, the 25-storey One London Place building, which Farhi has long admired.

"I think that's a great building with great presence," said Farhi, adding his tower, with lower ceilings, won't rise quite as high. "It speaks for itself."

The next 20 floors would each contain five units with windows and balconies facing north, east and west.

The 25th to 27th floors each would house four units, while the top three floors would each contain two units with floor space in excess of 3,000 square feet.

City council's planning committee gave the needed rezoning for the proposal the green light Monday and council is expected to follow next week.

Farhi's plan for the luxury building is already drawing rave reviews, especially from realtors.

Rick Cleed, president of J.J. Barnicke, which does business with Farhi, said he plans to be among the first to buy.

Cleed says he works downtown and enjoys the nightlife.

"My wife and I absolutely love the downtown," he said, adding he's attracted not only by the luxury, but by the fact it's unlikely to attract many students due to the prices -- in excess of $300,000 for the smallest units.

"I think you're going to see more and more people migrating to the downtown," Cleed said.

Realtor George Georgopoulos said there's growing demand for luxury condos as boomers look to downsize from their suburban homes.

"It's what London needs," he said. "And, with Farhi, he wouldn't build something unless he was willing to live in it himself."

Janette MacDonald, manager of Main Street London, said she hopes Farhi builds the tower "sooner than later."

"It's just what we need downtown and, obviously, we're happy the old Central Library is going to be maintained," she said.

Flickr®

Last edited by Tony; Feb 1, 2006 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2006, 3:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

London badly needs another ~30 storey to densify the core, and to complement One London Place.

Finally, a skyline commensurable with the size of the population.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2006, 2:25 AM
Londoner

Proposed 30-storey, $35-million-plus project

Here's some new pics of the proposed 30-storey Former Central Library,
$35-million-plus project

Old Posted Feb 4, 2006, 3:56 AM
Londoner

New pics

Here's some new pics that I found from the proposed 30-storey Former Central Library, $35-million-plus project!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates