HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 4:27 PM
High Voltage

^Right on! I have been wondering when that place was going to open. They have been working on it for several months. Its in a good location too...right across the street from the transit center, and not too far from the stadium.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 4:50 PM
BANNED

man, that place has been several bars and restaurants over the years. My favorite was Devil's Annex, which had $1 drafts every night from 8-12.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2009, 7:00 PM

hmm, open up a "small" brewery near Four Peaks, good luck to them.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Four Peaks is actually helping them with a lot of things. With what exactly I don't know. Hopefully they will open on time, I will post more details when I know them.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Dozen new shops, eateries opening in downtown Tempe

6 comments by Dianna M. Náñez - Sept. 9, 2009 02:15 PM
The Arizona Republic

Suddenly, business is booming in downtown Tempe.

After months of enduring a growing number of shuttered businesses the area is seeing a comeback.

Along with the expected announcement Thursday of the "Mill Avenue Retail Contest" winner, Tempe is celebrating plans for about a dozen stores that include new restaurants, a bar, a café and other businesses.

Among those new businesses are The Irish Pub, an independently-owned bar, Five Guys, one of President Barack Obama's favorite hamburger joints in Washington, D.C., Jimmy John's, a sandwich store, Bright Horizons day care, Dave's Electric Brew, Spark Magazine, Vanity on Mill Salon, Suckerpunch Sally's Café and the reopening of Regions restaurant.

Nancy Hormann, president of the Downtown Tempe Community Inc. (DTC), the non-profit that manages downtown for area landowners, says the host of new businesses slated to open in the coming months are the result of efforts to revitalize downtown.

Specifically, she notes the attention the diverse entertainment, arts and cultural programming has brought to the area.

"I think it's a combination of opening the MADCAP (Mill Avenue District Community Arts Project), doing the retail contest . . . Market (on Mill) . . . (And) music . . . that's attracting retailers and people to downtown," she said. "We were absolutely amazed at our market opening, which was just a soft opening-we actually had vendors sell out."

Market on Mill is a joint venture by the DTC and the Phoenix Permaculture Guild that premiered last week with music, gardening classes and vendors and local growers or artists selling baked goods, canned foods and other items. The market is on Thursday nights in downtown Tempe and will have a grand opening celebration Oct. 15.

MADCAP, a theater that opened about three months ago downtown is also seeing increased film, music and entertainment bookings.

Foot traffic has increased downtown, Hormann said, since Thursdays on Mill began. The weekly event hosts musicians, poets, other artists, and now Market on Mill.

Bringing two independent businesses downtown, the winner and runner up of the Mill Avenue Retail Contest will bring more of a buzz to the area, she added.

"One of the thing that was very exciting is these concepts were so very much tailored to Mill Avenue," she said. "They entered this contest because they knew their concept was right for Mill."

More information: marketonmill.org/ and www.madcaptheaters.com/ and www.downtowntempe.com/Default.aspx.
Here is some great news about Mill and Downtown Tempe. Hopefully this is the beginning to a revitalized Mill and Downtown Tempe.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:42 AM

Woooo - more places for me to stumble home from. Whip lounge just didn't cut it last weekend. I'll be at that new Irish place for sure. Speaking of Irish - for all who are interested, The Pogues are playing in October and they are fantastic. I hope one day the Ash/Farmer blocks will get filled in and really create a "district" feel moreso than just one great street. Places like Sail Inn are awesome, but are cut off from downtown by that barren space in between Farmer and Mill. Wootah, that's one heavily caffeinated post!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 10:15 PM

Holy hell, we are getting a five guys! It is everywhere on the east coast and there burgers are freaking gigantic and fries are to die for. It will be interesting to see what time they are open until because the ones I know close relatively early (midnight at the latest) and this type of food is made to be for drunks (although fat burger is also on Mill so the competition is going to be off the charts).

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 3:21 AM

Five Guys will be occupying the space formerly occupied by the old Coffee Plantation. It's being renovated right now.

For a fast food hamburger, Five Guys is one of the best.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 4:07 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
It LIVES!!!!! The DOME OF THE DEAD RISES:

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 11:00 AM

Great pics hoover - thanks. It is good to see some new businesses come in. There is way to many vacant spaces. In addition there is a lot of new buildings coming online with vacancies (eg Gateway/garage on 5th by the transit center etc) so it is good to see businesses moving in. It sounds like MADCAP is helping with the Centerpoint area. Hopefully something will happen with the towers for goodness sakes.

http://www.abc15.com/content/financi...8YFfZPiWQ.cspx

TEMPE, AZ – Despite tough economic times, over a dozen businesses are launching in the Mill Avenue area and all are holding a special sneak peek on Thursday to show off what they will be offering customers.

The sneak peek will start at 2 p.m. and will include all of the new businesses showcasing their products and offering samples or additional information.

Spark Magazine will display their latest issue, while Suckerpunch Sally’s will exhibit one of their custom motorcycles and speak about their 24-hour café with a donut buffet.

According to a City of Tempe news release, the launches are a combination of businesses that have chosen Tempe as their new location and winners of the Mill Avenue Retail Competition, in which the winners received a year of free rent with three-year lease and a free one-year-membership from the Tempe Chamber of Commerce.

"We are excited about all of our new businesses that are adding to the great destination that is the Mill Avenue District,” said Nancy Hormann, the Downtown Tempe Community Executive Director. “Both those that won our contest and those who independently chose to make Tempe their business home."

Tempe has been named one of the top ten places in the country to start a new business by Entrepreneur and BusinessWeek magazines, according to city officials.

The new businesses include:

The Irish Pub
Five Guys
Jimmy Johns
Bright Horizons Daycare
Smashburger
Dave's Electric Brew
Suckerpunch Sally's Cafe
Spark Magazine
Sea Life
Regions
Total Wine & More
Vanity on Mill
Pancheros

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 3:44 PM
High Voltage

Thanks for the pics Hoover. I knew that dome would rise from the dead eventually. Where is it exactly? From your pics, I would guess it is somewhere around the Vista Del Sol apartments/dorms on Apache?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
I hope one day the Ash/Farmer blocks will get filled in and really create a "district" feel moreso than just one great street. Places like Sail Inn are awesome, but are cut off from downtown by that barren space in between Farmer and Mill.
I'd bet the area between Mill & College gets filled in first. I'm sure Centerpoint will get finished at some point, but aside from that, there's already a lot more existing foot traffic on the east side of Mill (even between the dirt lots around 7th and Myrtle), and less railroad noise to deal with.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 7:02 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkoto View Post
I'd bet the area between Mill & College gets filled in first. I'm sure Centerpoint will get finished at some point, but aside from that, there's already a lot more existing foot traffic on the east side of Mill (even between the dirt lots around 7th and Myrtle), and less railroad noise to deal with.
I half agree. There's already plenty of stuff between Mill and Ash and I think that area will continue to develop, but you're right, I just don't see that development extending across the railroad tracks anytime soon. I think the whole area between Ash and College is going to see some major development sooner than later. A lot of the mega projects like University Square may have fallen through, but they did succeed in clearing a lot of area and assembling some very large land parcels that are now relatively cheap due to the market. Mill may be slumping for now, but ASU students and football games combined with Tempe's central location in the valley and emphasis on transit connectivity are just too big an economic draw for Mill to stay down.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 9:58 PM
this could have been...

Great find Hoover. Where has the dome landed? it looks like Gamera.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 10:25 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^its at the Vista Del Sol apartment complex which is on the South side of Apache, just West of Rural. Sadly you can't see it from the street, its hidden by the buildings, but if you go into the visitor parking area you can check it out. The shade area that it will be a part of is under construction as you can see, but it should be cool.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 4:08 AM

I noticed that dome when I was riding my bike through the area checking out the new freshm- er, buildings. I, too, am disappointed it is not in a more visible location.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 1:13 PM
BANNED

While the dome is pretty cool, I'm glad to see the building it used to sit atop is gone.

Rural/Apache now has a nice urban feel to it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 4:29 PM
High Voltage

^The area around Rural and Apache, and Apache between Rural and Mill Ave., has really changed for the better in the past few years.

edit: Now, if we can get all of the new retail spaces filled along that stretch, that would be sweet.

Last edited by TAZ4ate0; Sep 13, 2009 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
one of their girlfriends is opening a brewery in the building at the corner of College and 5th. Took a tour of the place, kinda small but it should be a nice place. It going to be called Dave's Electric and they are looking to open on Sept 18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
and its not the only one, there is another brewery setting up near mcclintock and university, called Sleepy Dog Brewery.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJphx View Post
and its not the only one, there is another brewery setting up near mcclintock and university, called Sleepy Dog Brewery.
What building are they going into? It's not the big red barn, can't remember what that was before?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest