HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:19 AM
life is good

Wow, excellent posts Fflint. Exciting times in SF!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 3:31 PM
Pacific Wonderland

I smell another Proposition M coming, this is like the 80's boom that provoked a backlash. I really hope not, but it would not surprise me in the least.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:33 PM

It looks like all those gift shop souvenirs and depictions of San Francisco's skyline with the Transamerica Pyramid and 555 California dominating are going to be outdated in about 3 or 4 years. I wonder what the Beach Blanket Babylon hat is going to look like in 2020.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 12:44 AM

They might have to look for a bigger space.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2014, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
It looks like all those gift shop souvenirs and depictions of San Francisco's skyline with the Transamerica Pyramid and 555 California dominating are going to be outdated in about 3 or 4 years. I wonder what the Beach Blanket Babylon hat is going to look like in 2020.
Funny that you say that! I was just in the Transamerica Pyramid last week and I noticed that they had opened there own gift shop with Transamerica figurines, mugs, clothing with the Transamerica logo. It also has an area with the history of the building with a video to watch. They also have on loan one of the Beach Blanket Babylon hats with a figure of Val. This cool to get up close the the skyline hat.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 5:39 PM

Socketsite has a blurb and very poor quality rendering of the tower proposed for the Goodwill site:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...velopment.html

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 10:02 PM

JWS - thanks for the link for the first look at what 1500 Mission might look like. I like it very much, but the finished product may not look as nice, or might be even better.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 10:11 PM

1401-1415 Mission Street (July 26, 2014)

Today the crane at 1401-1415 Mission Street was assembled - always an awesome sight to see. In the foreground is the crane for 1400 Mission Street (Swinerton)

Notice the lighter color of the brick on the tower of the building (corner of Folsom St.) in the upper left corner of the photo. This is the replacement brick for the damage from the 1989 earthquake. Part of the corner fell to the street. A large crack was in the structure leaving the corner in a precarious way.

1415 Mission Street

The drawing if from The Build Group, Inc. web page: http://www.buildgc.com/groundup/port...-1415-mission/
http://www.buildgc.com/groundup/port...-1415-mission/
New Design 10-2013

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 10:46 PM
dazzle me

I'm very pleased that the city has seen fit to retain the little deco clock tower building on the goodwill site. like that so much for real neighborhood character.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 12:42 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
JWS - thanks for the link for the first look at what 1500 Mission might look like. I like it very much, but the finished product may not look as nice, or might be even better.

Good catch.

This appears to be the view from Mission Street, looking eastward toward the corner with South Van Ness, and--if I'm right--includes a conceptual sketch of what will eventually be built at the Honda dealership at the far left.

I'm loving the massing--this part of town can certainly use more density. Right now, that weird intersection is really...well, there's just no there there.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I've been playing with SketchUp the last few days. I'm starting to see where designs like this are coming from.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post

Good catch.

This appears to be the view from Mission Street, looking eastward toward the corner with South Van Ness, and--if I'm right--includes a conceptual sketch of what will eventually be built at the Honda dealership at the far left.

I'm loving the massing--this part of town can certainly use more density. Right now, that weird intersection is really...well, there's just no there there.
Thanks, that actually conceptualized it significantly for me...I think you're 100% right about the Honda dealership tower massing. That intersection is so hilarious to me...the two most major streets intersecting in SF, and you have a Honda dealership, a Walgreens, and a donut shop.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 1:37 PM
An Optimistic Realist

First time commenting here. Amazing development. SF's skyline is stepping up along with the various other projects throughout the city.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:29 AM

I do like 8 Octavia from Octavia St., but this view of the building, as seen from the freeway offramp, and the first thing that thousands of daily visitors to SF see, is very.. ugly. This was a huge mistake to let this building be built like this at this corner. Damn..

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:48 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

8 Octavia is a disappointment. It was supposed to be transluscent but instead it looks like a parking garage circa 1958.

That said, people who arrive by freeway cannot possibly complain about aesthetics. Period.

Last edited by fflint; Jul 28, 2014 at 8:17 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:57 PM

I haven't seen this building from this angle yet. Yikes! Looks like a jail.
Turns out it's ugly from every which way.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 2:57 PM

I've had friends compare 8 Octavia to a prison. All it would take is some paint over the concrete and it would look much better. Also, the lot next door is zoned for up to 85 feet and when new development comes it will hide the east-facing concrete side.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 4:26 PM

8 Octavia - I like it as well but agree that the concrete wall is a disappointment. I have seen a a highrise jail that looks just like the wall on 8 Octavia and that was depressing enough! I have seen it from the sidewalk many times and kept thinking that it would at least get a nice coat of paint.

I've seen the louvered panels in different positions now and find them to be clever and attractive. The tenants won't have to buy expensive window coverings!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
I've had friends compare 8 Octavia to a prison. All it would take is some paint over the concrete and it would look much better. Also, the lot next door is zoned for up to 85 feet and when new development comes it will hide the east-facing concrete side.
it looks like the city jail in Oakland with those tall slender windows. No escaping!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:49 PM

twin eleven story office buildings proposed for SOMA:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...nan-fifth.html

Quote:
While currently only zoned for building up to 55 feet in height, Tishman Speyer is pushing forward with plans to develop a pair of modern eleven-story buildings on the northeast corner of Brannan and Fifth Streets, behind which a new public park could sprout in the middle of the Central SoMa block.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations