HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 12:00 AM

Seeing orange and white lines on the freeway? Here’s what they mean

I saw these on my last number of drives to San Diego/San Diego County, and I assumed correctly what they meant.

From KTLA News:

Seeing orange and white lines on the freeway? Here’s what they mean

by: Marc Sternfield
Posted: Apr 30, 2024 / 01:55 PM PDT
Updated: Apr 30, 2024 / 03:48 PM PDT

Transportation officials in Southern California are testing a new way to get drivers to slow down in construction zones, and — based on early results — they say it’s working.

The Caltrans pilot program began on the 5 Freeway in northern San Diego County, where drivers began encountering orange and white lane striping through the Build North County Corridor Project as early as December 2021.

The $987 million project is adding carpool/High-Occupancy Vehicle lanes in both directions of the freeway between Highway 78 in Oceanside and Lomas Santa Fe Drive in Solana Beach, an area prone to heavy traffic backups.

“I was curious and didn’t know what to make of them,” said Josh Rose, who was visiting from Utah and noticed the stripes while driving from Los Angeles to San Diego earlier this month. “They certainly got my attention.”

Caltrans says the contrasting colors are designed to increase awareness of the construction zone and “enhance safety” for drivers and road crews. Officials hope drivers will not only slow down but also see the lines more clearly in the rain and fog.

So how is going so far? Extremely well, Caltrans tells KTLA 5 News.

Orange and white contrast lane striping on the 5 Freeway in North County San Diego. April 2024. (KTLA)

“Recent survey data shows that approximately 83.18% of road users who traveled in the orange striping experienced increased awareness of being in a construction zone,” said Caltrans Public Affairs Manager Steve Welborn.

The survey found that 72% of drivers slowed down after seeing the contrast striping, and nearly 75% found the lines easier to see at night.

[...]

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 12:38 AM
Show me the blueprints

Probably a good candidate for the Interesting Transportation Things thread.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation