HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 8:03 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not a big fan of the modern trend of "building as sculpture". It can be clever but it's not worth compromising the functionality for an abstract goal, and that is frequently what happens. The architect is hell-bent on making a building that looks like a sail so suddenly everything has to be shoehorned and you can't fit a normal table in your condo.

The curved Vancouver building right next to the Marine Building looks okay but it's really squeezed in. It's not quite a proper building site but finding space in that area is difficult.

Nice to see that building on Yonge is being preserved for the new tower. It's a highlight of that part of the street, which to be honest is a pretty big mess (though it seems to be improving).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 2:39 AM

The developer might just be playing the game better than we think. He could just be aiming really high, knowing someone will say it's too tall and then start cutting I down to around 35.

It's what I would do to get something taller than 30 stories in the downtown.

It is a bold plan, as he might be burned completely.

Just a thought, two 48 story towers is a tight sell, when they had to fight so hard for two 27.

go dogs go!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth