HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 29, 2012, 10:47 AM

Google street view for Windsor has finally been updated. The last images were taken during the CUPE strike and didn't show Windsor very well.

source: http://windsorite.ca/2012/11/photos-...e-cupe-strike/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 2:21 AM

Windsor Will be hosting the World short track swimming championships. We beat out Hong Kong and the UAE. A Pool will be built in the summer for 2016 over the floor inside the WFCU Centre.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCityFreePress View Post
Windsor Will be hosting the World short track swimming championships. We beat out Hong Kong and the UAE. A Pool will be built in the summer for 2016 over the floor inside the WFCU Centre.
I'm surprised we won, what does Windsor have those other cities don't? We don't even have a pool! I'm also a bit curious why this was such a priority for the city and is it worth the capitol costs?

I won't even be living in the city when this happens, so I guess it will be interesting to turn on the TV and see "FINA live from Windsor, Canada."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2012, 7:40 PM

I think the city it self loses money, but thats not the real point. The gains come from the money that will be made by local business. Hotels, restaurants, Taxi and shuttle services. When the WFCU Centre hosted Skate Canadas synchronized skating event last year it injected almost $1 Million into the pockets of businesses even though the city probably didn't make any real money off of it.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 10:25 PM

Does this mean the electric bus deal is dead? I actually thought Windsor was going to be the first western city to deploy all electric transit buses; what a let down. This won't look good for us as there were news reports around the world talking about this, just Google BYD Windsor

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 2:17 AM

An interesting article talking about the lack of private development downtown and it talks about Farhi a bit.

source:http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/12...d-vacant-lots/

Quote:
Jarvis: An aquatic centre, a cultural hub and vacant lots

A new, $77-million signature aquatic centre is rising quickly downtown.

Taxpayers have just plowed $2.5 million into the Art Gallery of Windsor as part of a planned new cultural hub next to the aquatic centre.

It’s the long-awaited, much-heralded development of Windsor’s so-called western super anchor, part of the revitalization of the city’s core.

And it’s surrounded by four prime riverfront properties, all vacant.

Two, on Riverside Drive at Janette Avenue, one block from the art gallery, are an unsightly mess of broken asphalt and weeds. A third, on Riverside at Bruce, west of the art gallery and across from the aquatic centre, is used as a parking lot. The fourth, east of the art gallery and also across from the aquatic centre, lies in the shadow of a massive and monolithic grey wall. It was an eyesore when it was an infamous pit owned by developer Bill Docherty, and it’s not much better now.

When London developer Shmuel Farhi gobbled up these properties starting in 2006, he was proclaimed a visionary and a major player in developing downtown. His purchase of the properties was seen as part of a swing in momentum in the core. Someone was interested in investing here, someone with a track record.

When he acquired the land west of the art gallery in 2006, Farhi said he was planning a “first-class” condominium overlooking the river, with retail on the first floor.

“The building next to the art gallery is going to warrant a first-class facility,” he told The Star. “I am not building anything unless it is first class.”

He was anxious to develop, it was said. He had ideas and was already looking at potential tenants.

Three years later, when he said he would be announcing more plans for downtown, Farhi cited Windsor’s unparalleled location, with an attractive setting on the river, next to the U.S., with instant access to millions of people. He was impressed with St. Clair College’s move downtown and the hundreds of students coming to the core. With the city and the global economy poised to recover, he cited “once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.”

Again, in 2010, Farhi promised “very, very exciting news” for downtown soon.

“We are … moving forward with our plan to develop the unique part of the city,” he said when he bought the properties at Janette. “This is part of a much larger plan and purchase.”

He wasn’t planning some “coffee shop,” he said. “I come there to build and transform this great city that was hit so hard by the economic meltdown.”

And he wanted to do it “sooner rather than later.”

So what’s happening?

Farhi, who also owns the parking garage on Pitt Street east of the bus station and the City Centre Mall office building across the street, still vows he’s not building a “coffee shop,” he told me in an interview. He’s going to build something “that’s going to be a wow,” he said, something that will “make an impact for the future.”

Now he’d like to build something for government or the college or university, he said. He suggested a student residence with classrooms on the first floor.

He’d still like to building something “yesterday rather than tomorrow,” he said.

He still says Windsor is a “very interesting city” with “interesting opportunities.” He again credited city council for re-inventing Windsor by bringing not only the college but now the University of Windsor downtown.

He promised that a long overdue makeover of the crumbling parking garage, announced when he bought it in 2010, will begin within 30 days.He said he is now renovating the nearly vacant City Centre Mall, also purchased in 2010.

But when will he build?

“We have to see when the time comes and Windsor is ready for this development,” he said. “If the market needs a large development, we will step in and do something.”

“We were excited when those properties changed hands,” Coun. Fulvio Valentinis, who represents the area, said of the vacant lots, “because we were hoping it would spur some development, you know, in the very near future. They are prime pieces of property. There has been significant development downtown. Now is the time to move on those.”

He would like apartments or condominiums, he said. We have a “million-dollar” view and a promenade along the river with a “phenomenal green ribbon,” he said. The core needs residents, he said, to draw more services, create a lively community and boost nearby neighbourhoods.

What no one wants is vacant lots, he said.

“When you see activity, see development, it’s a positive sign that people have faith in the area, people are prepared to invest,” he said. “The flip side is if you just see a vacant piece of property for the longest time, it’s not necessarily a positive message. I would much rather see something moving there than see it just sort of languish in a state of nothingness.”

“It would be nice if he moved forward and did some of the plans promised,” Larry Horwitz, chairman of the Downtown Windsor Business Improvement Association, said of Farhi. “What’s put in front of the aquatic centre would have a huge impact on the aquatic centre. It could affect how attractive an area it becomes. Certainly the way it is isn’t the way to keep it.”

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I actually thought Windsor was going to be the first western city to deploy all electric transit buses; what a let down.
I think you were having some pretty lofty thoughts there. Transit Windsor has a lot of issues.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I think you were having some pretty lofty thoughts there. Transit Windsor has a lot of issues.
Thats an understatement.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 11:27 PM

This Windsor Star article talks about this in detail from a Windsor point of view. It makes me think that the company is telling a bunch of cities that they are interested in locating a plant there to entice them to order some of their vehicles, then they go somewhere else.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 3:42 PM

So it looks like the farmers market proposal is not dead. Talks between the city and the Kings are on old while the Kings concentrate on their other project, transforming the old Ice Park. I was watching Face to Face the other day, it was a full hour interview with the mayor, very interesting. He said that the market proposal was not dead, and talks will resume once the Kings are ready to focus more time on it. I was very happy to hear that it might still happen, as I thought it was pretty much dead in the water. Keep your fingers crossed, we really need a bright new farmers market downtown, it's a very important part of the core's transformation.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:09 PM

Absolutely that must be one of the most important projects downtown right now. The farmers market really enhances the livability of the downtown core and is great that they will be preserving a (locally) historically significant building. Farhi is who i want to hear from, however.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:24 PM

Well, he's supposed to start start renovating the parking garage he owns next to the aquatics centre soon, it was reported last week. So at least he will finally be doing something other than just sitting on the properties he has acquired. I really feel that his lot next to the Art Gallery is the best bet to actually have something built. Windsors economy should be much stronger in the coming years, and the need for new downtown condos will surely grow as well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 4:08 AM

Windsor Star picture files coughed up this one.

It's near here

The same grey face of the Bell Annex is to the right in both photos.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 1:29 PM

The good old Viscount Hotel, I had friends stay there in the early 80s, there was a disco at the top.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 9:43 PM

This is a great site for lots of old Windsor photos if you guys didn't already know about it. I love this site and they have lots of archives to search.

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 11:16 PM

I have no memory of that building.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
This is a great site for lots of old Windsor photos if you guys didn't already know about it. I love this site and they have lots of archives to search.

http://www.internationalmetropolis.com/
Wow, what a great site!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
The good old Viscount Hotel, I had friends stay there in the early 80s, there was a disco at the top.
I was up there once, shortly before it closed. The view north was blocked when the similar height 66m Ouellette Manor went up in the 70s.

It seemed a little unfair but inevitable considering the zoning.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 5:34 PM

The Downtown Farmer's Market will be at Charles Clark Square this year.

Since the The Barn market reno has no indefinitely been put on ice the city had to think quickly as to where to let the farmer's market set up shop.

Charles Clark square is a decent fit I think. I find the only time it is really used is in the winter when there is free skating. The space often seems dead in the summer despite the city's efforts in the past years to entice people to use the space by populating it with new tables, chairs & umbrellas etc.

As for the market being there the space is open, inviting and does have washroom facilities. I wish them luck.

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windso...rk-square.html

I would really like to see the city actually build a downtown market though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 7:14 PM

Yeah, I'm really praying that eventually the market proposal will find life again and all sides will work to make it actually happen. It's too great of a project to let die, it would definately be a money maker if done right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario