HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Those natural overpasses are pretty cool looking.... and work like a charm, I bet! I believe the province of New Brunswick has fencing on their Highways (NB has a great highway system overall IMO). These fences are are very effective. If only we spent our money wisely instead of spending it that ridiculous moose detection system - that thing is down more than it's up!
New Brunswick uses wildlife fencing but doesn't use wildlife overpasses which is okay but not perfect.

Mainland Moose are endangered in Nova Scotia so they use a mix of wildlife fencing and wildlife underpasses along Folly Pass on the Trans Canada which used to be home to countless moose accidents and is the main migratory path for moose.

The overpasses they use in Banff Nat'l Park are absolutely gorgeous and I think all provinces should use them. I can't speak for Newfoundland since I've never been there but I know in Nova Scotia it is impossible to drive along the main expressways (101 & 102 particularly) without seeing deer caucuses.

As for aesthetic appearance fencing can be buffered from the highway by bushes and IMO seeing fencing is better than seeing roadkill Bambi on the side of the road.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 6:35 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Us? Aesthetics?

For such a pretty province, we sure love the ugly when it comes to things like this.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The overpasses they use in Banff Nat'l Park are absolutely gorgeous and I think all provinces should use them.
Yes - I've been to Banff and wildlife fencing there is excellent; there's also wildlife underpasses and are extremely effective. I spent three full days there and not once did I see a moose/deer/elk/etc on the road.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 10:32 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Friggin deer caucuses, always scheming up something.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:20 AM

Has anyone ever noticed on radio traffic reports that all roads in St. John's are east/west? Even the ones signed north/south.

It makes it confusing when trying to get around accidents and blockages. I assume west means it's heading out of the city.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post
Has anyone ever noticed on radio traffic reports that all roads in St. John's are east/west? Even the ones signed north/south.

It makes it confusing when trying to get around accidents and blockages. I assume west means it's heading out of the city.
Yeah. Most people get super confused about that too. I just assume that the village = west and to work with it that way, even if it's really south.

I think all directions are altered in respect to the harbor as you're facing water street with the ocean to your back.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Yeah. Most people get super confused about that too. I just assume that the village = west and to work with it that way, even if it's really south.

I think all directions are altered in respect to the harbor as you're facing water street with the ocean to your back.
I think it's like if signal hill is remotly in the opposite direction than it's west and if to go to CBS or the Village you have to go the opposite direction then its east something like that .. problem is that the roads wind sooo much! even roads you think are straight .. look at it on a map .. it aint

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConundrumNL View Post

When are you driving on Pitts Memorial heading downtown, the signs says "Route 2 South". South? that makes no sense to me.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
When are you driving on Pitts Memorial heading downtown, the signs says "Route 2 South". South? that makes no sense to me.
ok ya got me there ahhahahahaha unless it's indicating an exit .. I have no clue

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:02 AM

I love my drive to work, hop on the OOR at Logy Bay Rd, minutes from my house. And then hop off on Topsail Rd and i'm pretty much at Donavan's lol

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
ok ya got me there ahhahahahaha unless it's indicating an exit .. I have no clue
I noticed it a few weeks back and kind of forgot about it until now. I figured it had to be a misplacement of the sign (don't forget, they actually put up a sign in Kilbride saying "Kildride a few years ago ). So, it is possible.

Gotta love street view: http://goo.gl/maps/XGlqt

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:06 AM

Although when driving towards Topsail road on Prince Philip/Columbus the overhead signage at the Thorburn road intersection indicates two of the center lanes as headed towards "Columbus Drive South". It may be the only sign in the city that's labelled in the right direction.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Thorbu...90.88,,0,-5.53

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I noticed it a few weeks back and kind of forgot about it until now. I figured it had to be a misplacement of the sign (don't forget, they actually put up a sign in Kilbride saying "Kildride a few years ago ). So, it is possible.

Gotta love street view: http://goo.gl/maps/XGlqt

I think it's because route 2 turns .. so that direction is actually south futher up and they cannot change the name of a highway like that .. that's my guess

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=47.503113...66047&t=h&z=15 .. and it probably is that way because of the major intersection with the TCH, and the TCH is clearly east or west so if they name that direction for the turn off also east even though at the turn off it's south and the TCH also goes east .. see what i'm saying?

you can see this all across the island with the TCH because it goes north and south for a good portion but it is still considered east/ west

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:16 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

None of our directions make sense.

I'm convinced that, when St. John's was settled, they decided the harbourfront downtown went West-to-East, when it's actually much closer to North-to-South.

Take this, for example. Look how rediculous it is that what we call "East" and "West" isn't actually called "North" and "South":

So, from that initial confusion comes all our problems with using the cardinal points. We don't even do it when giving directions.

I noticed when I moved to the Winnipeg, I'd ask how to get somewhere, and people would be like, "Go north on X, turn west on Y, and then south on Z and you're there."

And I'd thank them, get to the first intersection, and think, "I don't have a ****ing clue which way north is..."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 12:59 PM

Metrobus Idea Center

For anyone looking to provide input on improving transit (jeddy, I am looking in your direction)

Quote:
The IDEA CENTRE is the place for Metrobus customers to share thoughts and opinions, present ideas and offer feedback on future service proposals, which could include routing and scheduling, technology, service initiatives and the like. It's our Research & Development Centre and we will use your feedback and ideas in evaluating major service changes or proposals.

Your opinion matters. Make sure it is heard.

Sign-up for access to the IDEA CENTRE today
https://www.metrobustransit.ca/ideacentre/index.asp

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Oh wow, Jeddy! Made for you!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 6:58 PM

Haha, metrobus must read this forum xD

Submit your idea, Jeddy

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Haha, metrobus must read this forum xD

Submit your idea, Jeddy
Thanks guys, I will but not right away

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Thanks guys, I will but not right away
Yes sir

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 9:37 PM

Coming home this evening, I heard Coast report a queue near Mundy Pond on Columbus Drive South.

Someone from the station must read this forum.

Quote:
None of our directions make sense.

I'm convinced that, when St. John's was settled, they decided the harbourfront downtown went West-to-East, when it's actually much closer to North-to-South.

Take this, for example. Look how rediculous it is that what we call "East" and "West" isn't actually called "North" and "South":
An inbound/outbound direction system for Highways around St. John's would work. So traffic coming from the core of St. John's (Downtown/Quidi Vidi) would be outbound, and traffic heading into the core would be inbound.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's