HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
Um....you do know that when the new store is built and open, the old one is getting demolished, right?
So there is NO WAY to use that existing building? There should be no demolition permits for any building unless it's been legally condemned. This is getting ridiculous.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
So there is NO WAY to use that existing building? There should be no demolition permits for any building unless it's been legally condemned. This is getting ridiculous.
The old Costco is being demolished to make way for a new Costco Gas Station...and to replace the parking lot that is being eliminated by the build of the new Costco. =P

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 3:56 PM

well all in all this is a great project. that old costco was way too small and cramped

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
Perhaps you can apply for a historical heritage designation to save the Costco Building.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 5:01 PM

I think you know what I'm getting at. It's about wasting resources, not about heritage designations. I don't really care about the building. But I do care about frivolously tearing down structurally sound buildings.

Anyway, this will have little effect on the city, I'm just joking for the fun of it. But my feelings about wasted resources apply many times over when we talk about main and caroline for example....

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:55 AM
Team St.Jean

A Real Accomplishment

The Costco buildings and all of the other big box shit boxes in the Meadowlands are ugly and poor planning. The days of the stupid centres are numbered. I'm tired of having to drive from store to store in the freezing cold and walk through SEAS of parking lots with cars flying around everywhere. I live in the residential section of Meadowlands for the time being and it's rotten looking.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 4:33 PM

It is an interesting phenomena among Canadians to complain about a system, yet choose to actively participate in the same system we claim to loathe. If shopping at these power centres is so awful, why is it that so many people continue to do so?

The easiest way to rid power centres from a neighbourhood is simple: don't shop there.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
It is an interesting phenomena among Canadians to complain about a system, yet choose to actively participate in the same system we claim to loathe. If shopping at these power centres is so awful, why is it that so many people continue to do so?

The easiest way to rid power centers from a neighborhood is simple: don't shop there.
Interesting point you make about why people are going there. I feel the same way about people that drive lol 80% of people cant drive properly lol. The simple fact is People like to complain, fallow, and go because its there. Another factor for the strip malls, is the use of the car everyone thinks because they have it its easy to go there so who cares.

The other thing that makes the smart centers so viable is There not paying the utilities to heat cool or maintain the huge massive walk ways.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:52 PM

Ancaster Costco calls on small army to move store across the parking lot

Call it the big switcheroo.

Costco has added to its staff and has amassed a small army of about 345 employees Wednesday night to help move its old 118,500-square-foot warehouse store to its shiny 142,000 square-foot replacement 300 metres across the parking lot.

It closes a bit early at 5 p.m. Wednesday and in a feat that surely propels them into the gold medal spot in any retail Olympics, will reopen – two hours early no less – at 8 a.m. Thursday.

This seamless, unbelievably smooth transition is trademark Costco.

The company did the same thing with its store in Mississauga in September, 2004.

“It’s not something we do a lot,” said Ron Damiani, Costco spokesperson. “It’s significant logistical planning.”

But while the corporation wanted to upgrade its store, it didn’t want to leave Ancaster. The location is perfect and proximity to highways invaluable.

So, it hired an extra 80 people and drew plans to tear down the old store in a month or so and build a new gas station.

Damiani said the business model of using large pallets of goods brought in by forklift and dropped into place helps enormously with the kind of relocation effort that will take place before the grand opening Thursday morning.

“We try to touch the actual merchandise as little as possible.”

The store is already stocked with a lot of new merchandise and Wednesday night staff will add the finishing touches including new fresh foods. The new warehouse will also offer a pharmacy and an expanded line of goods.

“With nearly 30,000 square feet you’ll see we’re able to broaden our selection quite a bit,” he said.

Damiani said the upgrades to the Ancaster store have nothing to do with American retailer Target coming to Canada later this year and everything to do with keeping stores looking updated and fresh.

“We have a five-year plan requiring the relocation of this store. It’s the only one we’re doing in Canada this year and we’re just opening one store in Edmonton. We do what’s right for our business.”

lmarr@thespec.com

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:33 AM

I was there for opening weekend. Crazy busy. Got myself one of those electronic Japanese-style toilet seats.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 12:45 PM

Holy crap, they have those there? I think I have to get a membership...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:29 PM

They started demolition this weekend of the old Costco building.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs