HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 3:47 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Good stuff on decent retail coming downtown. Wish the Apple Store was downtown rather than Masonicville.
Me too. But unfortunately downtown probably wasn't "hip" enough, either that or Apple lurked this board and found out wealthy Londoners (and students) were incredibly lazy and preferred to drive to a mall instead of parking and walking around downtown.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 5:40 PM

And just like that, Richmond and Oxford goes from the largely vacant, ignored tail end of Richmond row to a successful urban entrance to London's core. It'll be pretty awesome to see this section of Richmond Row's north go in to overdrive at the exact same time as Renaissance II and Fanshawe inject their respective areas with new life. Combine this with the Old East development and this seems like it'll be one of downtown's best years for improvement.

P.S. Is the Dundas road work a straight up resurfacing? or are there any improvements (ala sidewalk,crossing work) involved?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 7:34 PM
User Registered

With the demise of Blockbuster, Oxford and Richmond was pretty gloomy.

Dundas is getting a resurfacing this year and a complete makeover to the streetscape in 3 years. That will include tearing up the asphalt.

So it's pretty controversial why Dundas is being paved this year only to have it torn up in 3 years. The asphalt only has 2 years of usable life left according to the city.

So why can't a comprimise be reached? Move the streetscape makeover project a year or two ahead of schedule and use the money from this resurfacing project to finance it. Why they haven't done something like this is odd and in my opinion petty politics.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:17 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Why is Sarnia/Western Road once again closing lanes? Three goddamned years in a row!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 4:11 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Why is Sarnia/Western Road once again closing lanes? Three goddamned years in a row!
This is why: http://www.london.ca/d.aspx?s=/Road_...ters/ts1-4.htm

That intersection sucks. I would vouch for a Vegas-style pedestrian bridge to rid it of all those students who don't follow the crossing signs and endanger themselves and others.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 3:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

why the hell didn't they do this last year when they choked traffic for the better part of a year at that intersection? Nitwits. I just don't understand how it could be cheaper/more efficient/better, etc. to separate across years.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:30 AM

Quote:
why the hell didn't they do this last year when they choked traffic for the better part of a year at that intersection? Nitwits. I just don't understand how it could be cheaper/more efficient/better, etc. to separate across years.
And while they're at it, why aren't they doing something about that right-turn lane that you're often complaining about? I remember that causing massive backups during rush hour when I was at Western.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yep, and as I said in other posts, my car was rear-ended TWICE at that intersection (in a two-week stretch, when my car was less than a month old).

From 4-545pm, The Brescia/Springett road is a parking lot. Green lights hold up traffic due to endless stream of buses and pedestrians crossing Western Road. Western road southbound is a parking lot. cars waiting endlessly to turn off onto Sarnia...held up by endless stream of buses blocking one lane and pedestrians crossing Sarnia Road. Sarnia road westbound is a parking lot. held up by endless stream of buses blocking one lane and/or somebody trying to make a left-hand turn (due to ASININE bottle neck where road narrows). Then there is trying to turn southbound on unWonderbread road from sarnia. This whole part of town is the shit for traffic flow, but planners instead think about extending Veterans (where absolutely nobody lives) southbound from 401, and Wonderland Rd interchange at 401 (ditto).

UWO is practically what holds the economy of London afloat.

On a side note, I am getting rather sick of the endless construction at the school of the 1%. They got a fireplace inside. Really. Here in Social Science, our bathroom has been out of order FOR TWO YEARS.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
^yep, and as I said in other posts, my car was rear-ended TWICE at that intersection (in a two-week stretch, when my car was less than a month old).

From 4-545pm, The Brescia/Springett road is a parking lot. Green lights hold up traffic due to endless stream of buses and pedestrians crossing Western Road. Western road southbound is a parking lot. cars waiting endlessly to turn off onto Sarnia...held up by endless stream of buses blocking one lane and pedestrians crossing Sarnia Road. Sarnia road westbound is a parking lot. held up by endless stream of buses blocking one lane and/or somebody trying to make a left-hand turn (due to ASININE bottle neck where road narrows). Then there is trying to turn southbound on unWonderbread road from sarnia. This whole part of town is the shit for traffic flow, but planners instead think about extending Veterans (where absolutely nobody lives) southbound from 401, and Wonderland Rd interchange at 401 (ditto).
I've heard from people personally that getting around in London is terrible, and I almost have a hard time believing it but based on what I read here I'm starting to believe it's true.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 4:09 AM

^^The construction downtown caused a 20 minute delay for me today,.. and the construction near western campus, was equally frustrating earlier in the week.
On a more positive note, Resevior hill development has finally been given the green light by city council, though I doubt that the protests at springbank and commissioners will stop anytime soon, making traffic in the area even better...

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazDeH View Post
On a more positive note, Resevior hill development has finally been given the green light by city council, though I doubt that the protests at springbank and commissioners will stop anytime soon, making traffic in the area even better...
On a positive note!? Are you kidding me? The Reservoir Hill Development is absolutley horrible. I am very upset that this development got the go-ahead, and I'm not just some NIMBY or something. It's simply yet another fugly grey suburban apartment building that's being built atop a lovely forested lot. Why there, when empty lots abound in and around the downtown core, just begging for redevelopment?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post
On a positive note!? Are you kidding me? The Reservoir Hill Development is absolutley horrible. I am very upset that this development got the go-ahead, and I'm not just some NIMBY or something. It's simply yet another fugly grey suburban apartment building that's being built atop a lovely forested lot. Why there, when empty lots abound in and around the downtown core, just begging for redevelopment?
Don't get me wrong, the idea of more communist style construction in the city is deplorable; that being said any development that isn't single family homes, is generally not something to frown upon in my books.
The city green lighting that specific location isn't thrilling, but that someone want's to build in London is. I do wish that a land swap would be considered, I know it's been discussed, but the sad financial reality is that the land at commissioners and springbank isn't monetarily worth jack compared to the land downtown, even if it is being completely underutilized. It's the sad reality of capitalism and urban renewal. Someday those spaces downtown will be filled however, that isn't today.
I feel caught between the proverbial rock and hard place, do I enjoy the tree lined drive downtown everyday? Yes, and do I think a building there would add anything to the space no.. do I on the other hand feel that any large multi family development in the city is a good thing regardless if it's on the fringes in country side or a fantastic in fill project downtown? Yes. I don't know. perhaps you're right I spoke to rashly.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 1:00 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazDeH View Post
Don't get me wrong, the idea of more communist style construction in the city is deplorable; that being said any development that isn't single family homes, is generally not something to frown upon in my books.
The city green lighting that specific location isn't thrilling, but that someone want's to build in London is. I do wish that a land swap would be considered, I know it's been discussed, but the sad financial reality is that the land at commissioners and springbank isn't monetarily worth jack compared to the land downtown, even if it is being completely underutilized. It's the sad reality of capitalism and urban renewal. Someday those spaces downtown will be filled however, that isn't today.
I feel caught between the proverbial rock and hard place, do I enjoy the tree lined drive downtown everyday? Yes, and do I think a building there would add anything to the space no.. do I on the other hand feel that any large multi family development in the city is a good thing regardless if it's on the fringes in country side or a fantastic in fill project downtown? Yes. I don't know. perhaps you're right I spoke to rashly.
Fair enough, I see what you mean now. While it is nice to see multi-family developments in the suburbs, I'm still unsure about their effectiveness. Many of these developments tend to feel cold, isolated and car-oriented. I don't know about this for sure, but this is just the perception that I get from these types of apartments. Idealy, I would love to see more rowhouse sytle, lowrise, pedestirian oriented infill being built in the suburbs (think Nuvo Condos). Unless the area is a major commercial/transit node, I think that highrises should be left for the core.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 2:27 PM

^^ I agree with that completely, developers however have their own ideas, it's all about the bottom line. Medium density is more expensive per square foot to develop than a 12 story apartment building like the ones we have all over the city, especially when they're just reusing blue prints they have in the back storage closet.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:54 PM

I noticed that the location at 625 First Street across from Fanshawe is finally demolishing the vacant houses on that lot. Maybe they are going to proceed with the high rise that was planned for that property.

https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=625+Fi...201.59,,0,6.05

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 3:42 AM

Looks like Tricar will be building something on the lot at 96 Ridout St. They finished tearing down the Trafalgar Terrace retirement home about a month ago and a Tricar sign went up on the empty lot this week.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 5:24 AM
bro

Smile

Say, that's pretty cool. There's a nice cluster of apartments on that section of Ridout, so whatever Tricar builds should fit in fairly well. My money's on them building something like that mid-rise at Wellington and Pall Mall.

Here's a couple pictures of the development on Wharncliffe. I do miss the row of houses that was originally there, but this isn't half bad.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2012, 3:00 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Here's a couple pictures of the development on Wharncliffe. I do miss the row of houses that was originally there, but this isn't half bad.

I personally don't find these very appealing at all. They're just another carbon copy of other redbricks around the Western campus, whereas the original houses had charm and character. Even though they were low-density, I think they made the street more livable:

Very sorry I couldn't get my own shot of these before they were taken down.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 3:37 AM
bro

Unhappy

Trust me, I totally agree with you. I preferred the houses as well. The reason the Wharncliffe development isn't super difficult for me to swallow is because it's actually a development.

Unfortunately a very similar thing is happening on Rectory right now, but these houses are being leveled for more surface parking. The Western Fair wants to demolish all the houses at the corner of Rectory and King to create another lot. The owner of one house has refused to sell, so the Western Fair has just been sitting on their properties allowing the houses to deteriorate. There'll be a public meeting held tomorrow.

These are the houses:

The skinny yellow-brick on the left has already been demolished:

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 3:32 PM

Hi,

I moved to London a couple months ago and just recently stumbled upon this website. The info that fellow forumers have posted on this forum has been fascinating to say the least! Since I have no insider info, I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to a couple questions about London developments:
  • At Wonderland/Southdale, I read in here that an Arby’s was planned. Were these plans canceled?
  • At the northeast corner of Fanshawe/Hyde Park behind Lowe’s (previously Sam’s Club), there is any empty fields with some roads. I found a map of what was to be added, but have these plans be canceled too? It looks pretty bad over there behind the Boston Pizza.
  • Construction at another power centre I believe is starting at Highbury/Fanshawe (northwest corner). I read that a Great Canadian SuperStore is proposed on the land. Does anyone have any more info any this developments?
  • As well, there are a couple of empty lots that I’m curious if people know what is being built:
    • big black building that was demolished just north of Wharncliffe/Commissioners (old Tepperman’s i believe)
    • empty lot at Fanshawe/Adelaide beside the Tim Hortons
    • At Western/Sarnia, the Mac’s was demolished.

They’re mostly big box related, which I understand most of you are against.

Personally, I have no insider info to share, but I do have some info I’ve seen around town that no one has mentioned:
  • The Applebee’s has closed at White Oaks. It will be replaced by Maurice's.

• Five Guys and Menchie’s is opening just north of White Oaks (in front of Chapters). The Five Guys’ opening date is this Thursday.

Last edited by Project-79; Jun 20, 2012 at 1:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates