HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Large Mast of Matsqui Transmitting Site in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Abbotsford Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 4:42 AM

Quote:
What is this, some afterbirth of a sketch done in 1980, salvaged from the burn folder by a lazy ass architect? Suburban sprawl looks prettier than this, because at least I won't see it from a distance.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
What is this, some afterbirth of a sketch done in 1980, salvaged from the burn folder by a lazy ass architect? Suburban sprawl looks prettier than this, because at least I won't see it from a distance.
Remember, we are talking about a city that has not had a high-rise go up since the 1990's. We have to take what we can get.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 7:34 AM
A.H.-Ha!

(Credit: Wikipedia)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 2:35 PM

Still a better podium than most downtown Vancouver towers.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 3:55 PM

It very much suits Abbotsford. It's the commercial portion of the project that's likely making this project happen. Businesses are starting to flock to Abbotsford, I believe Emco Building is 100% leased? It'll take decades but densifiying South Fraser Way between Bourquin and Clearbrook will be a great thing. I can even see an LRT successfully serving this corridor.

Last edited by DKaz; Jun 18, 2012 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 6:43 PM

Yeah, the Emco building appears to have hit 100% occupancy. I think Abbotsford could really take advantage of its ample development space by building a crop of cheap offices...
We just need taller offices.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
Yeah, the Emco building appears to have hit 100% occupancy. I think Abbotsford could really take advantage of its ample development space by building a crop of cheap offices...
We just need taller offices.

Yes, and if that trend were to continue, I think there would not only be "Abbotsfordites" working in them, but folks from other metro regions, too. This would hasten the necessity (or desirability, anway) of a fast, efficient, Valley commuter rail service. Wrong thread, perhaps, but I think it factors into all this.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 10:12 PM
A.H.-Ha!

Traveling along South Fraser Way earlier this year made me feel like being in a typical US city with ~100k population. But the swaths of parking lots right next to the road present tremendous redevelopment opportunities.

Last time when a tower was proposed nearby, there were tremendous NIMBY opposition given the so-called "shadowing" imposed by the high-rise. With this building being closer to Abby's commercial core hopefully the project will be given a go by Abby City Hall.

I am sure there will be a new rendering coming up should the developer wanting to push forward the project.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicwolf View Post
Remember, we are talking about a city that has not had a high-rise go up since the 1990's. We have to take what we can get.

All I'm asking for is a dumb box without any of the offensive pomo gestures shown here. Perhaps a mid-rise slab this is less visible to avoid looking like mississauga along the 401. I want LESS design, not more. Why is it so hard?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik-E-Mart View Post
Last time when a tower was proposed nearby, there were tremendous NIMBY opposition given the so-called "shadowing" imposed by the high-rise. With this building being closer to Abby's commercial core hopefully the project will be given a go by Abby City Hall.
That would be the Mahogany Tower. It was approved and will start construction any day.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 3:35 AM

Very disappointing and typically Abbotsford news. Looks like the company has opted to build a small 4 story office building instead of the 25+ story tower.

https://abbotsford.civicweb.net/Docu....aspx?ID=28067

WHAT.
THE.
CRAP.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley