HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

3 Hudson Boulevard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:01 AM
New Yorker for life

Design seems tweeked a little in this render...spire barely visible, but also there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYWjEoRh...-by=cityrealty

Quote:
Construction has finally begun on Moinian Group's 1,000'+ tall supertower dubbed 3 Hudson Boulevard. Designed by FXFOWLE Architects, this environmentally-sensitive monster is going for LEED Platinum! The 1.8 MSF project rises from the corner of West 34th and Eleventh Ave and will have Class A offices, sky gardens, retail and a seemless connection to the 7 train.

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...upertall/13225

Quote:
Earlier this month, a new rendering was published on FXFOWLE’s website showing a more streamlined design topped by a 300-foot spire that would make the building among the tallest in the city. A new daytime rendering has also been posted on site depicting the same design without the spire. The building’s foundation was mostly finished during MTA’s construction of the 7 line extension meaning superstructure could begin relatively soon. According to FXFOWLE the tower is to be finished in 2021.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:14 AM

Not bad.

But does this mean that they have a tenant, or are they going ahead without one?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Not bad.

But does this mean that they have a tenant, or are they going ahead without one?
They still may not have a full construction loan or tenant.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:49 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

seamless.........

Last edited by Prezrezc; Aug 29, 2017 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 2:12 PM

That spire is just, ugh.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:13 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I kinda thinks it's incomplete without a spire. Seeing how one would look, IMO, it complements the tower. The angular nature of the tower. It's like the Bank of America tower that went on a diet.

It shouldn't be overly thick, but not NY Times pencil thin either. The spire diameter that is.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Design seems tweeked a little in this render...spire barely visible, but also there.

This tower will be gorgeous.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 6:00 AM
BANNED

Yeah, the design is no longer twisted it seems, but its sleeker and overall less clunky looking. This futuristic looking tower is my favorite so far. Here's my favorite towers in HY ranked for design preference

1) 3 HY - Overall the highest quality tower in every way so far. Worthy of the 21st century. Graceful and highly contemporary.
2) 30 & 10 HY - Tallest and the most iconic (30) modern designs but a bit fat and clunky and 30 HY looks overbearing and unwelcoming from the 10th avenue side. Nice nautical theme to the design with the sails/ship bow which reflects the river setting.
3) 15 HY - NY needs some more buildings that take inspiration from organic forms and the shed is novel. The curvature is a nice change of pace from what will be mostly angular buildings in the vicinity.
4) Spiral - A daring take on a traditional box - imagination is a plus. Ingles is a man who isn't afraid to shake up things.
5) 35 HY - Nice curved top but I give it a minus for being too boxy and heavy down low. Seems like this one got value engineered to oblivion from what it was.
6) 50 HY - Just a massive glass box with a setback. Too simple and bulky although nice glass. Facade is just simple squares and could have been more interesting. One of Foster's poorer efforts. Far too expensive for what you get in terms of design. A Missed opportunity.
7) 55 HY - The worst because it's just a Meis Van Der Rohe lazy rehash with a facade gimmick, and far too short - a missed opportunity. Black boxes were interesting at one point, but it's no longer 1975. Get with the times.

Last edited by aquablue; Sep 4, 2017 at 11:44 AM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 8:22 AM
BANNED

The Girasole is clearly torqued.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 1:44 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

^^
Hafta agree...
The catty-corner street-view kinda muddles the perspective.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 2:37 PM

While some towers here may individually be better than the others, I'm not nearly as down on the last two or three on the list. Granted, individually they may be disappointing, maybe flawed... but as a group they compare, contrast and complement the others well.

I do agree about 3 HY being potentially the overall standout though 30 HY is no ugly stepsister. Its bulk which some see as intimidating and distracting make it the clear centerpiece and the glass is amazing. It will define HY and in time be well regarded as a major New York City icon for the 21st century.

I don't agree with the negativity towards 55 Hudson... contrasts really well from the others with its darker glass and it looks terrific. Similarly I think 50 HY is being severely underrated here. I'm not in love with the design's conservatism but functionally it performs brilliantly and the building will have heft and presence.

Love 10 HY and tend along with 3HY to think those two will as individual towers be most well regarded. My only beef with 35 HY is what is most often the focus of criticism.. has become too bulky, preferred the conversion from lower rectangular form tapering into a cylindrical form closer to the middle as an earlier incarnation had rendered. But still has a great visual appeal and the terra cotta used will be a nice addition...all glass can get boring and uncreative very quickly. Fortunately for the most part the glassy domination that most makes up the HY towers is very well put forward, but makes for a more compelling aesthetic to have other materials make up contrasting touches that give the overall development its own character. For the New York City of the early 21st century, both phases of HY will contribute to make for one of the most fascinating, vibrant, exciting part of the tapestry of the city... with the Shed and the Vessel, it will be a huge part of the definitive New York experience and culture.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

The twist is still there, but this one also tapers, which I like. I still don't trust that rendering angle though, I have to see more. I suspect it's still a very bulky tower. They have not filed for the full building yet, meaning we still don't know how much has changed as far as height goes. But it's moving in the right direction.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 8:05 PM
JoeCooper

Quote:
The twist is still there, but this one also tapers, which I like. I still don't trust that rendering angle though, I have to see more. I suspect it's still a very bulky tower. They have not filed for the full building yet, meaning we still don't know how much has changed as far as height goes. But it's moving in the right direction.
Not to draw comparasons; however, in regard to demention and in some regard design it appears to be a Bank of America 2.0, add 100 feet or so. Eleven years ago we would all be saying 'wow!' whereas today we are all saying, just another tower going up in the neverending growing NYC.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 8:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAPINM1 View Post
Not to draw comparasons; however, in regard to demention and in some regard design it appears to be a Bank of America 2.0, add 100 feet or so. Eleven years ago we would all be saying 'wow!' whereas today we are all saying, just another tower going up in the neverending growing NYC.
It pretty much is another BofA, if they go with the spire. The BofA is a larger building, which makes it fatter (I wish we could put it on a diet). But this tower is somewhat bulky as well. I want to see full renderings so we can make out the changes.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:09 AM
New Yorker for life

SEPTEMBER 10, 2017

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 12:23 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:

This is the render they're going with on site.

SEPTEMBER 12, 2017

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:56 AM
BANNED

Spectacular '!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Additional Renderings Of 3 Hudson Boulevard’s Spire Appear, Hudson Yards

Quote:
With activity making headway at several of the supertalls that will eventually comprise Hudson Yards, it should come as no surprise that progress is also occurring at The Moinian Group’s 3 Hudson Boulevard, where FX Fowle has designed a building that will rise approximately 1,050 feet to its rooftop. While Moinian has said plans for the tower are still being finalized, additional renderings of the spired version have again appeared thanks to its architect, and construction at the site also appears to have begun.

The tower will total 1.8 million square feet, and the new images from FX Fowle give several additional perspectives of what the supertall will look like from the surrounding blocks. The view north along Eleventh Avenue in the distant future is perhaps the most telling of what the neighborhood’s impending evolution will really entail, and the urban scale of so many adjacent supertalls has yet to be experienced in New York City.
==================
NYY

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 3:38 PM
Ω

I tried to force a little bit more realistic perspective. On the original, the lens zoom is really close.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:06 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

The spire intrigues me in that it somehow torques on its own. Render #3 somewhat shows this if you juxtapose a vertical line against the contour.

What's more, Render #1 seems to show a textured surface. The pic needs a bit of sharpening to see it better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction