HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:42 AM
BANNED

Holding the Olympics in Canada, again

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/io...osts-1.4287484

With the announcement that Paris and LA will hold the Olympics, again, for the 3rd time, I am wondering if Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver could hold them for a second time.

Many of the original facilities still exist in the cities. They could also build new facilities to replace the ones that no longer exist.

As for the Olympic Villages, building new ones would mean that the cities could have new affordable housing afterwards.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 4:50 AM

The Summer Olympics now seem to only be going to very major cities. I really don't know if Toronto or Montreal stand much of a chance but I'd say Toronto would have the best shot.

As for Winter Olympics, really only Vancouver and Calgary but maybe Edmonton, Montreal or Quebec City. Are the ski hills/mountains in Quebec tall enough to host the Winter Olympics? Quebec City would be an ideal location in Eastern Canada if the downhill skiing facilities were adequate.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 5:30 AM

they had the winter olympics in lake placid new york before, I am not familiar with the mountains there but probably on par with quebec

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 6:46 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
The Summer Olympics now seem to only be going to very major cities. I really don't know if Toronto or Montreal stand much of a chance but I'd say Toronto would have the best shot.

As for Winter Olympics, really only Vancouver and Calgary but maybe Edmonton, Montreal or Quebec City. Are the ski hills/mountains in Quebec tall enough to host the Winter Olympics? Quebec City would be an ideal location in Eastern Canada if the downhill skiing facilities were adequate.
Quebec City tried a few times to host the Winter Olympics, but has always come up short in the bid.

The big problem is the mountains around Quebec: The only tallest one closest to the city, Le Massif, is not tall enough to adequately host downhill skiing competitions.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/io...osts-1.4287484

With the announcement that Paris and LA will hold the Olympics, again, for the 3rd time, I am wondering if Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver could hold them for a second time.

Many of the original facilities still exist in the cities. They could also build new facilities to replace the ones that no longer exist.

As for the Olympic Villages, building new ones would mean that the cities could have new affordable housing afterwards.
The Winter Olympics could definitely be held in Canada again - Calgary is currently at the exploration phase for a bid for 2026. They're popular too; Canada is certainly more in tune with the Winter Games.

As for the Summer Games, I'd think Toronto would have an edge over hosting again in Montreal, as the province just blew a pile of money on the Pam-Am games in 2015, so there are several new venues available.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 2:47 PM
Montérégien

Montréal and Lake Placid discussed several times, in the recent past, to submit a joint application for the Winter Olympics. It hasn't passed the discussion stage, though.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:27 PM

No thanks, epic waste of cash. We should focus on Expos.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 3:45 PM
I am the law!

It's not much of a contest to get the winter olympics. The IOC will gladly give them to you if you want them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Winter_Olympics

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:17 PM
Busy Beaver

Ottawa's almost as close to Lake Placid as Montreal is. There's even an old rail line that used to run directly, maybe we could revive it X-country skiing in Gatineau Park, skating on the canal — There would actually be more participatory winter sports for visitors to do here. We're getting a new downtown arena, aren't we?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There isn't any appetite for another summer Olympics in Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
It's not much of a contest to get the winter olympics. The IOC will gladly give them to you if you want them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Winter_Olympics
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Winter_Olympics
This is starting change with LA being awarded the Summer Games. Apparently now more US cities are interested on bidding for the 2026 winter games, which for a while it looked like that if Calgary did decide to bid, they would win quite handily.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2017, 11:37 PM

It looks like the Summer Olympics will be recycled among a handful of Global Alpha cities of 10 million +: LA, Paris, Tokyo, Beijing, London, repeat.

I actually wonder if the Winter Olympics will survive climate change. In any case, any Canadian city that can host the Winter Olympics already has.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 3:45 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
This is starting change with LA being awarded the Summer Games. Apparently now more US cities are interested on bidding for the 2026 winter games, which for a while it looked like that if Calgary did decide to bid, they would win quite handily.
Not really making your case with LA example. LA was awarded the 2028 because they were very worried about there being no viable applicants outside of authoritarian countries bidding to host the olympics.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 5:42 AM

God help us if another Canadian city goes for the Olympics. Politicians and developers are the biggest proponents which speaks volumes and should be enough to put the fear of God into any sane individual.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
God help us if another Canadian city goes for the Olympics. Politicians and developers are the biggest proponents which speaks volumes and should be enough to put the fear of God into any sane individual.
If it wasn't for the 2010 Olympics, The Skytrain would not be going to the Airport, and 99 would still be a death trap.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:08 PM

The only option in Southern Quebec for super g and downhill are in the Chic-Chocs but

1: it is far from Quebec city ( 4 hours)

2: it is a protected area.

source:www.quebecoriginal.com

source:onthesnow.com

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:15 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Calgary and Vancouver weren't terrible from a fiscal point of view.

I mean, Montreal was an example of not how to do things, but since we still have a large monument reminding us of our hubris, I think we've learned our lesson.

IMO we should probably stick to the Winter Games - they're an order of magnitude cheaper and they're likely more popular than the Summer Games.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
The only option in Southern Quebec for super g and downhill are in the Chic-Chocs but

1: it is far from Quebec city ( 4 hours)

2: it is a protected area.
I thought that Le Massif had enough vertical to meet Olympic downhill requirements if they built a bit of a ramp/hill at the top of the highest point now . I'm sure it met vertical requirements, not sure about distance wise.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I thought that Le Massif had enough vertical to meet Olympic downhill requirements if they built a bit of a ramp/hill at the top of the highest point now . I'm sure it met vertical requirements, not sure about distance wise.
Yes, Le Massif would work with some crafty geo-engineering. I don't think that's the deal-breaker in terms of a potential Quebec City bid.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 2:31 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
You're right. There was a study done by SCN about Le Massif concluding that the vertical drop and slopes (26%) were meeting the requirements at Mont Liguori. However, we would have to build a 20 m. slide on the top of the hill in order to get at 808 m. downhill, since the arrival would be 12 m. above the water.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada