HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:00 AM

NUUK / GREENLAND | Development Thread

About Nuuk, Greenland:
Founded in 1728, Nuuk is Greenland's capital and largest city. By the mid 1800s, Nuuk had become a diverse city with both Danish colonists and native Inuit people. Despite years of struggle and assimilation, the Greenlandic people began a cultural revival in the mid 1900s, centered in Nuuk. In the 1950s, Denmark began to modernize the city causing thousands of Greenlandic people to both willingly and forcefully be moved into the city, thus leaving their nomadic lifestyles. In 1979, the city changed its name from Godthab to Nuuk when Greenlandic home rule was finally established.

Today, Nuuk is the center of modern Greenland. With a population of 17,000, it makes up 1/3 of the Greenlandic population. Nuuk is often considered to be the most prosperous predominately Native American city in the world. Despite its small population, the city is very modern and resembles a mid-sized Scandinavian city. Nuuk's population is expanding at a rapid rate as Greenlanders leave their small settlements in hope of a better future in Nuuk.

Disclaimer: I do not live in Greenland so I am probably unaware of many projects there. I will try my best to keep this list updated nonetheless.

Current/Recent Projects in Nuuk:

Ny Anstalt Correctional Facility:
The Ny Anstalt Correctional Facility will be Greenland's first prison. Currently, all prisoners in Greenland are sent to prisons in Denmark. It will have room for 76 prisoners and is located north of the city in a previously undeveloped area - a new road had to be built to get to it. The $60 million prison will offer many amenities in order to rehabilitate prisoners. The project will be completed sometime in 2018.

Image Source: Design Build Network

Nuuk Harbor Container Terminal:
A new 60,000 sq. meter container terminal is being built at Nuuk Port. Work on port improvements began in 2015 and this project should be done by the end of 2018.

Siorarsiorfik District:
Siorarsiorfik will be the largest urban development project to ever occur in Greenland. This project is meant to remedy the huge population growth and lack of housing within the City of Nuuk. The city's population is estimated to go from 17,000 to 26,000 by 2030. Nuuk gains hundreds of new citizens every year and there is a very long waiting list for housing. The new district will have 2,500 homes/units in its first phase which will house around 5,000 people. Two new primary schools, one secondary school, and a 20,000 sq. meter retail area is also planned. A large indoor stadium and art museum, both designed by the Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) are also proposed. A large tunnel will be built that will link the neighborhood to the rest of Nuuk's districts. The government hopes this will also attract some of the thousands of young Greenlanders living abroad to relocate to Nuuk. The neighborhood will be 20 minutes away from Nuuk's town center.

Image Source: Siorarsiorfik

Siorarsiorfik Town Center:
This 20,000 sq. meter town center will be home to the district's shops, restaurants, and likely a grocery store. Due to its long distance from Nuuk's center, this new town center will serve the people in Nuuk's eastern suburbs. The district's secondary school will be located here. The town center will be a car-free zone to encourage walkability in the neighborhood.

Image Source: Siorarsiorfik

New Qinngorput Apartments:
Qinngorput is the newest district of Nuuk, located on its east side. Dozens new apartment towers have been constructed over the past few years. Other small apartments and duplexes have also been built recently. The neighborhood was completely undeveloped only 10 years ago.

Image Source: Inside The Games

Qinngorput Brugseni:
Brugseni is a supermarket chain in Nuuk. The new 1300 sq. meter store is located in the town center of Qinngorput, across the street from the school and next to the Spar supermarket. It was completed in mid 2016.

Image Source: Sermitsiaq

Pisissia Apartments:
Six apartment buildings, with 84 total units, were built a few years ago in Qinngorput.

Image Source: Polar EL

Hans Lynge Skole:
Hans Lynge Skole is a secondary school that was built in the town center in the Qinngorput district.

Image Source: Sermersooq

Nuuk Center Mall:
Nuuk Center is Greenland's first shopping mall. The mall is two stories tall and has an underground parking garage. It is a modern mall with a grocery store, restaurants, and dozens of retail stores. It is located in the city center. The upper floors are used for office space.

Image Source: Nuuk Center

Bank of Greenland Building:
The Bank of Greenland recently constructed a new 8 story office building for their headquarters in Nuuk's city center.

Image Source: In Orange

Højhuse Jagtvej:
Højhuse Jagtvej is an apartment complex that was built recently in Nuuk. It is made up of two large towers.

Queen Ingrid Hospital Modernization:
Queen Ingrid Hospital has served as Nuuk's hospital since 1953. Recently, renovations have been made to modernize the hospital. Though some areas are complete, most of the complex has yet to be renovated. It was redesigned by C.F. Moller Architects. Renovations will be done in nine phases.

Image Source: C.F. Moller

New Nuuk Stadium:
A new national football stadium will likely be built in Siorarsiorfik. In addition to football, it will be used for concerts and other events. It was designed by the Bjark Ingels Group (BIG). It may end up being built in the spot of the current Nuuk Stadium. Many politicians are seeking to downsize the proposed stadium due to concerns over being able to fill up such a large stadium in a city of Nuuk's size.

Image Source: Architect Magazine

Greenland National Gallery of Art:
Designed in 2011 by the Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG), the proposed Greenland National Gallery of Art will be built in the new Siorarsiorfik district. The museum will showcase artwork from all of Greenland's history. It will be an important cultural institution in Nuuk.

Image Source: Domus

Tujuuk & Block P Urban Redevelopment:
The Tujuuk neighborhood (Block P) in Nuuk is known for its crumbling "commie block" apartments. Currently, all of the Tujuuk and "Block P" apartments are abandoned and boarded up. A new plan to redevelop the neighborhood calls for 126 homes and a new hotel. Construction will be completed in late 2019. I cannot find the final plans for the residential units, but they may be basing them off of the plan made by 42 Architects.

Image Source: 42 Architects

Noorlemut Apartments:
Three new apartment buildings were recently constructed in Nuuk Centrum. This project is a great example of Greenland's unique architectural style.

Image Source: Mollys Bugs

Nuuk Airport Runway Extension:
The Nuuk airport will be undergoing major changes in the near future. Most notably, the runway will be expanded from 950 meters to 2200 meters. This will likely lead to Nuuk Airport being Greenland's new international airport, and the downsizing of Kangerlussuaq Airport, the current international airport. Though Greenlanders settled on improving the current Nuuk Airport, other proposals were made. Most notably, B.I.G proposed a new airport and port development on a small island south of Nuuk, which would have been connected to the city by either tunnel or ferry.

Image Source: Kalaallit Airports

HHE Express Hotel:
The owners of Hotel Hans Egede are developing a new low-budget hotel that will be open in Spring 2020. It will be built in the Tuujuk neighborhood as a part of its redevelopment project. The hotel is meant to accommodate the large boost in tourism Nuuk will receive after the airport extension project is done.

Image Source: Kalaallit Nunaata Radio

Current/Recent Projects outside of Nuuk:

New Qaqortoq Airport and Road to Narsaq:
A new airport is being built 6.5km outside of Qaqortoq, the largest city in the Kujalleq Municipality. The runway will be 1500 meters with the possibility of being upgraded to 1800 meters. A new road is being built to link Qaqortoq with the airport site. In a future phase, the road will extend to Nuupiluk farm, where a ferry line to Narsaq will be established.

Image Source: Kalaallit Airports

Pissassarfik Disability Center:
A new disability and rehabilitation center has opened in Sisimiut. It was completed in February 2018.

Image Source: Sermitsiaq

Last edited by Dblcut3; Feb 27, 2018 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:02 AM
Show me the blueprints

I'd love to visit Greenland!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:07 AM

It looks really cold there! Like the OP suggested, there's a surprising amount of development for only 17K people. Impressive.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 2:57 AM

Traveling to Greenland is on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing !

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:08 AM
dazzle me

I feel ashamed that architecture in that Greenland is far better than we have here in all but the best projects in California.

Looking great!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 7:15 PM

I am somewhat amazed that there are hipsters even in Greenland.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:03 PM

Wow! Cool projects and they look much cooler than a lot of the bland-lackluster stuff being built here in the US..

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

Believe it or not, Greenland as a whole, especially Nuuk, is sort of known for being super-hip and progressive in both social and political issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
I feel ashamed that architecture in that Greenland is far better than we have here in all but the best projects in California.

Looking great!
Greenland does indeed have very unique architecture. I think it fits really well with the environment.

Last edited by Dblcut3; Jan 9, 2018 at 9:03 PM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post

Not that I have any connection to Greenland other than wanting to travel there but yea skateboarding at least is relatively popular although confined to the younger generation.

I'm really glad someone is doing a Nuuk thread I remember like ten years ago there was a lot of interest and photos around as the city & country started experiencing its current cultural and economic revival. Fascinatingly beautiful place that we need to see more of.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta_Love View Post
I'm really glad someone is doing a Nuuk thread I remember like ten years ago there was a lot of interest and photos around as the city & country started experiencing its current cultural and economic revival. Fascinatingly beautiful place that we need to see more of.
No problem! I have always had a fascination for Greenland ever since I was in middle school for some weird reason. Greenland is experiencing a lot of growth recently, especially in Nuuk, so I figured I would start a thread. I hope to add other Greenlandic cities' projects also!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:39 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Looks awesome. We Canadians could learn a thing or two from Greenland about building in the high arctic .
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 5:09 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Looks great!

And I have to disagree that the architecture looks unique. It looks Scandinavian which personally is one of my favorite strains of modernism.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Looks awesome. We Canadians could learn a thing or two from Greenland about building in the high arctic .
I agree. Greenland tends to have much higher quality buildings than Nunavut's cities do. Iqaluit for example doesn't even compare to Nuuk in terms of architecture.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 10:47 PM

I have been here and it is somewhat cool, but so damn desolete as well, no, the hipster look is waaaaay overdone...

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:42 PM
Nijmegen

OMG AMAZING I LOVE IT!!!!!
Ill return to skyscraperpage forum for this thread. Thank you for this and the updates!!!!
:happy:

(btw any change you might do updates from greenland alltogether while you're at it anyway?) DD

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griendt View Post
OMG AMAZING I LOVE IT!!!!!
Ill return to skyscraperpage forum for this thread. Thank you for this and the updates!!!!
:happy:

(btw any change you might do updates from greenland alltogether while you're at it anyway?) DD
I plan to do all of Greenland - I'm just a bit lazy and busy currently lol. I'll add more projects to the list soon.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:12 PM
Registered San Diegan

Great thread.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 10:59 PM

New Qaqortoq Airport and Road:

Currently the only airport serving the Kujalleq municipality is located in Narsarsuaq, a small village. A new airport is being built in Qaqortoq, the largest city in Southern Greenland, which has a population of over 3000. The only way to get there at the moment is by helicopter. Because of this inconvenience, Qaqortoq was one of several locations selected for new airports to be built all across Greenland. In order to get to the new airport site from the city, a 6.5km road is being built. The road will be extended to the small farming settlement of Nuupiluk in a future phase. From Nuupiluk, a ferry line will be established to transport passengers to and from Narsaq, a city with 1500+ people. It will be the first road between two towns in Greenland's history.

A map of the road and airport location:

The runway will be 1500 meters, but it will have the capability to be extended to 1800 meters in the future. Greenlandic officials hope that this will give the region a massive boost in tourism as well as providing infrastructural support for the growing mining industry. In addition to the several other new airports being built (I will cover these later), this project will help Greenland progress towards independence and self-sustainability.

A rendering of the airport:

Qaqortoq Entreprenørforretning Aps, a local construction firm, has almost completed the road. They hope to begin work on the airport itself soon.

A construction photo of the road from October 2016:

The airport's master plan:

I am hopeful that this project will greatly benefit southern Greenland. Qaqortoq is currently losing a lot of population due to young people moving to either Nuuk or Denmark for careers and education. Having an airport in Qaqortoq will help the area's tourism and mining economies to expand greatly. Plus, having a road/ferry to Narsaq will help the whole region become more connected. Municipality officials hope to eventually build a road from Qaqortoq to the farming settlement of Igaliku and the town of Allutisup Paa. If that project moves forward, the growing agricultural sector in Southern Greenland will expand even more. Currently, only rough dirt/gravel roads connect the many farms together, and this network only connects to small villages, not any towns or cities.

A view of Qaqortoq, the "Greenlandic Riviera:"

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the update. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:49 PM

New Nuuk Airport Plans:

Nuuk's airport currently only has one 950 meter runway. A large extension to the airport is being planned, which will extend the runway to 2200 meters. The plan also calls for an extended terminal building. Because the airport will be extended northward, the road around the top of the airport will have to be demolished and rebuilt. Siaqqinneq Aqq. will be rebuilt to go farther north and then to the east where it will meet Aqisseqarajooq Aqq. at a roundabout. Aqisseqarajooq Aqq. will also be extended further northwards so it can link to the new prison. Some Greenlanders were hostile to Nuuk getting a new or improved airport, most notably Greenlanders living in Kangerlussuaq. Nuuk's new airport will likely replace Kangerlussuaq Airport in becoming Greenland's main international airport.

The master plan for the airport, including the location of the former runway and roads:

A rendering of the new airport:

The new airport overlayed on satellite imagery:

Originally, Nuuk was deciding on three different plans for a new airport. They could either: extend the current airport, build a new one to the north, or build a new one (proposed by B.I.G) on an island to the south. They chose the extension plan, which I think is best. Both of the other proposals would have required a ferry line, which could become unreliable in bad weather.

The formerly proposed B.I.G airport south of Nuuk:

I will cover the plans for the new airport planned for Ilulissat soon - it is the last airport being built at the moment in Greenland. But, there are proposals for new airports in Sisimiut and Tasiilaq.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations