HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:46 AM

New Provo-Orem bus rapid transit now has a name: Utah Valley Express (UVX)

Lee Davidson - The Salt Lake Tribune - https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...y-express-uvx/

...The new bus rapid transit project is described by UTA as “TRAX on rubber wheels,” where passengers buy tickets from machines in advance. Extra-long buses will have use of bus-only lanes for about half their 10.5-mile route. Buses may receive priority at traffic signals and would run about every six minutes at peak travel times.

The route in Provo and Orem will include Utah Valley University, University Mall, Brigham Young University, downtown Provo and the Provo Centre mall. Cost of the project is now estimated at $201 million...

(Steve Griffin | The Salt Lake Tribune) UTA's new long "BRT" (bus rapid transit) is parked in front of the Capitol during Transit Day on Capitol Hill in Salt Lake City Friday February 2, 2018.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 12:49 AM

Lehi Developments

Young Living HQ
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

New suburban hotel

[IMG][/IMG]

Innovation Point office park

[IMG][/IMG]

I forget the name of this development but there will be three buildings total
[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 11:11 AM

^^^
It continues to amaze me how the buildup around Thanksgiving Point just seems to continue. One thing to note, even if not right here and now. Looking at aerials, it will definitely be easy to accommodate a future increase in density. i.e. parking structures vs. blacktop, and additional offices/commercial. UDOT is going to have to work an accelerated pace in order to meet the infrastructure demands of this area. From some of the descriptions it would seem the planned highway and transit buildup is needed immediately.

I like the look of the recently completed Mountain Point Center and American Fork Center expansion. Someone needs to give us some update pictures on the huge new Provo Center.

Lehi - Mountain Point Center

https://img.evbuc.com/

https://media.glassdoor.com/

American Fork Center

http://taylor-electric.com/

It is definitely a sellers market here in Utah County- inventory is SO low!
Utah County Housing Stats

Stats provided by Berkshire Hathaway

Last edited by delts145; Oct 4, 2018 at 10:50 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
^^^
It continues to amaze me how the buildup around Thanksgiving Point just seems to continue. One thing to note, even if not right here and now. Looking at aerials, it will definitely be easy to accommodate a future increase in density. i.e. parking structures vs. blacktop, and additional offices/commercial. UDOT is going to have to work an accelerated pace in order to meet the infrastructure demands of this area. From some of the descriptions it would seem the planned highway and transit buildup is needed immediately.

I like the look of the recently completed Mountain Point Center and American Fork Center expansion. Someone needs to give us some update pictures on the huge new Provo Center.
Yeah I think that as the open land in the area is filled up and the property prices rise the owners of these buildings will realize that parking lots are ok to build on. Once the TRAX line goes through the area I think we will start to see midrise 10-15 story office buildings pop up. Pour water(money) on the desert and it blossoms. I have a photo update for Provo/Orem coming up.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 7:19 PM

Utah Valley Hospital

The valley is slowly looking towards the sky for space.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 7:31 PM

Provo starting to rise

I am really surprised that the city or private developers have not built some high/mid-rise apartment buildings in downtown yet there is such a demand right now.

All we need are a few more mid-rises to fill in the missing teeth in downtown.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 8:09 PM

Provo Developments

Hyatt
[IMG][/IMG]

200 CityView
[IMG][/IMG]

Courthouse
[IMG][/IMG]

Recently Completed Projects

MTC
[IMG][/IMG]

63 East Condos
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by DanskeUtahn; Mar 18, 2018 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 8:22 PM

Orem Developments

Orem is in dire need of new housing options. I estimate that half of the houses in Orem are renting out their basements to either their kids or someone else's going to school. The next couple of years will be crucial for Orem City if they want people to stay. The housing is coming in at a decent pace but not fast enough.

Midtown Village
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Town homes on 1430 S 650 W
[IMG][/IMG]

Downtown Orem?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by DanskeUtahn; Mar 18, 2018 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 8:32 PM

Utah Valley Infrastructure

Provo Canyon Hydroelectric plant

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

UVX (BRT)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:46 AM

Very nice updates! Thanks. The new courthouse really rises above everything downtown.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:45 AM

Thanks for the updates!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:38 AM

It's nice to see some updates from down south showing that density is starting to come to Utah Valley as well.

I have to say though, I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that courthouse is hideous.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
It's nice to see some updates from down south showing that density is starting to come to Utah Valley as well.

I have to say though, I hope I'm not the only one that thinks that courthouse is hideous.

Yeah I am not the biggest fan of the courthouse either, you can definitely tell it was built by the government it looks uninviting (almost soviet in a way) and built to stay around.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:00 PM

Great updates Danske!!! It's been too long since we've had a great update for the southern metro. Really appreciate you stepping up.

Looking at the rendering of the Courthouse, I think they still have a lot of progress to make before the skin is finished. At least I hope so, because as it is now I'm definitely not a fan either.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:07 PM

I really like the scale of CityView for that corner. I'd like to see a lot more of this in the downtown Provo area. Also would be nice if they designated an area where they could focus a future skyline of mid to higher towers.

CityView 200
[IMG][/IMG]
By DanskeUtahn

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Great updates Danske!!! It's been too long since we've had a great update for the southern metro. Really appreciate you stepping up.

Looking at the rendering of the Courthouse, I think they still have a lot of progress to make before the skin is finished. At least I hope so, because as it is now I'm definitely not a fan either.

Hopefully that is closer to what it will actually look like. It's still a bit sterile, but significantly less imposing than what the current pictures look like.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 10:03 PM

Controversy surrounds proposed student housing complex in Orem

http://ksltv.com/392751/controversy-...mplex-in-orem/

Quote:
A battle is brewing in Orem over a proposed student housing complex to be built adjacent to Utah Valley University. The city and the University want to enable more students to live close to campus, but many area residents don’t want the extra traffic and are fighting to block it.

The city of Orem recently rezoned the property surrounding 500 West and 1000 South to clear the way for the student housing complex. It is are surrounded by the University on three sides.

“It will be one of the largest high density apartment units in the city of Orem,” said Mark Tippets, a petition organizer. “Orem has a lot of high density housing that has come in.”

They’re concerned that a student apartment complex with 1,600 people and 1,200 cars would add too much traffic right across the street from a school.

“[Traffic would] go on to our already busy streets that we have,” said Tippets. “Especially across the street from Lakeridge Junior High School.”

He and others organized a referendum petition. If they get more than 6,700 signatures before April 1, the citizens of Orem will get to vote on whether this project goes ahead on the municipal November ballot in 2019.

Those opposed to this development want to preserve single family home residential areas from rezoning. They also want to send a message to the Orem City Council that they oppose high density housing projects next to schools and homes.

Utah Valley University and the city see the project as a positive development for students and the surrounding community.

“This gives our students a chance to have the on-campus housing experience,” said Richard Brunst, mayor of Orem. “It gives more apartments to them to live in, which we’re short on.”

According to the city, UVU has 37,000 students. But, only 12 percent can find student housing in the area. Orem’s mayor says the project will also ease commuter traffic and parking issues on campus.

Students are on spring break this week, but the ones we talked with want more housing close to campus.

“I don’t have any transportation,” said Brandon Randolph, a student from Los Angeles. “So, I have to walk to school.”

When he gets a ride from friends, he says, it can take a half hour to find parking on campus. If he lived nearby, or on campus, he would save a lot of time.

Woodbury Corporation, one of the project developers, says that’s why they’re building the housing.

“Students, who would otherwise have to commute to school, will be able to be here, and be able to walk to campus,” said Taylor Woodbury, Chief Operating Officer of Woodbury Corporation. He said the company designed the project to direct traffic away from residential neighborhoods.

“It was one of the primary things we focused on as we designed this project,” said Woodbury. “This project has the potential to take thousands of cars off the road during peak rush-hour times.”

The petitioners have a different idea for the land.

“We believe that probably the best use for this would be for parking, low impact,” said Tippets. They believe that would cause less traffic and fewer safety issue in their neighborhoods.

Woodbury said they will continue to work with all groups to make people proud of the project.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 2:54 AM

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...c29939cc3.html

Quote:
Phase one of the three-phase new development would include 120,000 square feet of office space on Freedom Boulevard behind the Hyatt Place and a 670-space parking structure off of 100 West.

Phase two would include more office space and the second parking structure similar in size to the first. Apartments would be built in the third phase.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Controversy surrounds proposed student housing complex in Orem

http://ksltv.com/392751/controversy-...mplex-in-orem/
I don't have anything constructive to add, other than reading that story was one big giant Picard facepalm.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 7:09 PM

I drive for Uber and Lyft, and had the pleasure of driving a steel worker the other day. He was a real nice guy. Told me that when he finishes the job he's on, in about 7 weeks, he'll be starting a new job in Spanish Fork. Building the Hospital. I'm not sure how reliable the info is, and what extent he works with prep, etc... But any info is better than no info.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West