HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 8:30 PM

America's Most Endangered Malls

Highland Mall is mentioned about half-way down
-=-=-=-=-
America's Most Endangered Malls
By Rick Newman
On Friday June 26, 2009, 1:58 pm EDT
Buzz up! 285 Print
Birmingham's Century Plaza mall was a consumer mecca when it opened in 1971, drawing shoppers from outlying suburbs and even from other states. Over the years, however, people moved outward from central Birmingham, and new shopping centers sprouted around them. Sales at Century Plaza declined. Three of the mall's four big "anchor" tenants eventually left, and smaller retailers followed. By 2008, Century Plaza was a shadowy hulk with more shuttered stores than open ones. Then the last anchor tenant, Sears, announced it was leaving. The mall finally closed for good in early June.

[Slideshow: America's Most Endangered Malls]

Malls have a natural lifespan, as population centers shift, architecture evolves, and shopping habits change. But a sharp recession is clearly accelerating the demise of vulnerable retailers--and some of the shopping centers they inhabit. Plunging sales are one obvious reason. Many retailers are also saddled with heavy debt taken on in recent years to fund aggressive growth. And the credit crunch has made cash scarce for firms that need it most.

Those tough conditions have already driven retailers like Circuit City, Linens 'N Things, and Steve & Barry's out of business. Other chains are closing stores and slashing costs as they fight to survive. General Growth Properties, a Chicago firm that operates more than 200 malls--and owns the remnants of Century Plaza--declared bankruptcy in April and is working on a restructuring plan.

[See America's most profitable malls.]

The churn is transforming America's retail landscape. "During times like this, good malls tend to get better and bad malls tend to get worse," says Steve Sterrett, chief financial officer of Simon Property Group, the nation's largest mall operator. The first sign of trouble is often the departure of department stores and other anchor tenants, especially if those spaces stay vacant. High-quality, name-brand merchants often follow, with discounters--or nobody--replacing them. Shoppers sense the ennui, and gravitate toward malls that feel more vibrant, which only deepens the distress at troubled properties. By some estimates, about 10 percent of the America's malls could close within the next few years.

To gauge which malls are in trouble, U.S. News analyzed data from Green Street Advisors, an investment research firm in Newport Beach, Calif., that specializes in publicly owned real estate companies. Their data includes occupancy rates, sales per square foot, and quality grades for about 650 of America's biggest shopping centers. The average property in the data set has sales of about $420 per square foot and an occupancy rate of 92 percent, good for an A- grade.

[See how to tell if a mall is in trouble.]

The malls at the bottom of the list earn grades of C- or D, with falling sales at many stores and a high proportion of discount retailers that tend to draw the least lucrative consumers. As a rule of thumb, malls with sales of $250 per square foot or lower are struggling. "It's hard for many retailers to be profitable at $250," says Jim Sullivan of Green Street. And nine out of 10 malls at the bottom of Green Street's list have sales at or below that threshold.

The data we used doesn't cover strip malls and other shopping centers owned by private firms, which tend to be smaller, less profitable, and more vulnerable to a bad economy than regional malls. But the following 10 malls still represent bleak snapshots of some of the weakest spots in the nation's retail economy.

Century III Mall, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Occupancy rate: 70 percent; sales per square foot: $200*). About 30 of the 120 stores at this suburban Pittsburgh mall have closed recently, including anchor tenant Steve & Barry's and KB Toys (both of which have declared bankruptcy), Old Navy, Ruby Tuesday's, and Macy's Furniture Outlet. The 30-year-old complex targets value shoppers but competes with nearby discounters like Wal-Mart and Kohl's. Other area malls with more upscale stores are doing better. Century's owner, Simon Property Group, may be looking to sell Century III.

Chambersburg Mall, Chambersburg, Pa. (62 percent; $234). Sales have held steady over the past year, but a bucolic location 60 miles southwest of Harrisburg makes this sleepy mall a perennial underperformer. K.B. Toys, Value City, and B. Moss closed their stores after declaring bankruptcy. Newcomers include discounters like Bolton's and Burlington Coat Factory, which are likely to generate little excitement.

[See some restaurants that are on the ropes.]

Crossroads Mall, Omaha, Neb. (68 percent; $200*). Shoppers are fleeing this 50-year-old mall in central Omaha for suburban shopping centers that feel safer and more vibrant. The departure of Dillard's in 2008 left one of three anchor slots vacant. The Zales and Gordon's jewelry chains are also gone, along with Gap and most of the mall's food-court restaurants. According to press reports, owner Simon Property Group recently put the property up for sale. A buyer could try to resuscitate the mall or convert it to a different kind of retail or commercial complex.

Hickory Hollow Mall, Nashville, Tenn. (82 percent; $187). Dillard's has left, and other departed tenants include Linens 'N Things and Steve & Barry's, two of the biggest casualties of the recession. Two of four anchor slots are vacant, and the theater recently switched from first-run movies to late-run discount flicks. With a lack of retailers, the mall may convert some of its space to office use. One new tenant: the local police, who recently opened a recruiting station at the mall.

Highland Mall, Austin, Tex. (61 percent; $150*). While gleaming new stores have been springing up in some parts of Austin, this 38-year-old mall along I-35 has struggled to keep stores open--and avoid embarrassing controversies. Anchor JCPenney left in 2006, and this year Dillard's sued the mall's owners, claiming they let the mall become a "ghost town." The owners countersued, claiming that the suit is part of a scheme to help Dillard's get out of its lease early.

Palm Beach Mall, West Palm Beach, Fla. (82 percent; $250*). A year ago, the plan was to renovate this fading 42-year-old property. But that changed with the recession. Anchor tenants Dillard's and Macy's bolted within the last year, and in April, the mall's owners defaulted on a big bank payment, triggering a foreclosure lawsuit that could force the sale of the property. The power company even threatened to shut off the mall's electricity, but the bill was paid at the last minute. While remaining tenants like Sears and JC Penney await the outcome of litigation, other nearby malls are adding space and gaining customers.

[See why more companies are likely to fail this year.]

SouthPark Mall, Moline, Ill. (84 percent; $225). The owners spent a couple of years trying to sell this Quad Cities landmark, built in 1974, but they finally gave up late last year. Local officials would like to see the aging property converted to a more modern "lifestyle mall" with boutiques, lounging areas, and an upscale ambience. But modest local incomes probably can't support the major investment that would require. For now, the only upgrades at SouthPark are the construction of a few strip centers on "outlots" surrounding the mall, to be occupied by cheap restaurants and local service businesses.

Southridge Mall, Des Moines, Iowa. (84 percent; $168). The 2007 arrival of Steve & Barry's was supposed to mark a revival for this 34-year-old complex on Des Moines's South Side, which has been losing shoppers to more gentrified suburban malls. Then the discounter went bankrupt and closed its stores. The mall's owners have been trying to sell the property, and city officials have been working on ways to revitalize the entire area. They better hurry: At $168 per square foot, Southridge's sales are among the lowest for big malls.

Towne Mall, Franklin, Ohio. (49 percent; $207). This aging structure between Cincinnati and Dayton has been troubled for years, as the owner, CBL & Associates, and local officials have deliberated over whether to tear it down and build something more modern. Towne Mall has one of the highest vacancy rates of any operating mall, with more closed stores than open ones. A decision on the mall's fate is supposed to come soon.

Washington Crown Center, Washington, Pa. (70 percent; $265). Three of its biggest retailers--Macy's, Bon-Ton, and Gander Mountain--have suffered deep losses as consumers have cut spending. The mall's owner, Pennsylvania Real Estate Investment Trust, is revamping some of its properties--but not Washington Crown Centre, one of the weakest malls in its portfolio. PREIT could end up selling some of its subpar properties, which leaves this mall vulnerable.

* Where noted with an asterisk, figures are Green Street estimates

Old Posted Jun 29, 2009, 9:41 PM

Good find. Interesting stats..... and Highland seems to be one of the worst.!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 6:57 AM

It was so great to go to 20 years ago!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 1:46 PM
passion for patterns

While Highland Mall's location makes sense. I never understood why all of the upscale dealerships set up nearby - Mercedes Benz of Austin must own their building outright, that's all I can think of to explain why they're still there and not off of West 5th or somewhere near the Arboretum. Remember when it was Continental Cars, and there also used to be Infiniti, Subaru, Saab, etc down on Huntsland? I always thought that Lincoln Center was a shopping center more fitting with something further out towards the suburbs as well. When was it built?

Even 30 years ago, this wasn't a high-income area, although there was once a pretty broad middle class in the neighborhoods east of 35 (like Coronado Hills). Am I underestimating how affluent this part of town used to be? My stepfather actually went to Reagan and lived over off of Berkman when he was a kid, and his parents were solid white collar types. Maybe that was the demographic?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 4:47 AM
Closed account

That's where Austin's Porsche dealership is located as well.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 6:13 AM
Closed account

And Subaru still has a dealership on Huntland as well.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 12:13 AM

It's a good spot for TOD that could tie into the MetroRail. The only problem is once you get of at any other station where would you go This site is perfect for redevelopment but I'm afraid until we see MetroRail run throughout the day and not only during rush hour, this'll continue to be a dead mall.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 3:40 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
While Highland Mall's location makes sense. I never understood why all of the upscale dealerships set up nearby - Mercedes Benz of Austin must own their building outright, that's all I can think of to explain why they're still there and not off of West 5th or somewhere near the Arboretum. Remember when it was Continental Cars, and there also used to be Infiniti, Subaru, Saab, etc down on Huntsland? I always thought that Lincoln Center was a shopping center more fitting with something further out towards the suburbs as well. When was it built?

Even 30 years ago, this wasn't a high-income area, although there was once a pretty broad middle class in the neighborhoods east of 35 (like Coronado Hills). Am I underestimating how affluent this part of town used to be? My stepfather actually went to Reagan and lived over off of Berkman when he was a kid, and his parents were solid white collar types. Maybe that was the demographic?
In the 70s I lived at the Broadmoor Apts right behind Capital Plaza. It was a well kept, safe neighborhood at the time. It really went downhill starting in the 80s.

But closer to Highland Mall, there was a cool little neighborhood right off Koenig before you get to the railroad track (west of the tracks). I knew a guy on Link Avenue in that neighborhood. Haven't been by there in years, so I don't know what's it's like now.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
But closer to Highland Mall, there was a cool little neighborhood right off Koenig before you get to the railroad track (west of the tracks). I knew a guy on Link Avenue in that neighborhood. Haven't been by there in years, so I don't know what's it's like now.
Still there. My hair salon is there. Cute neighborhood.

I know quite a few people my age who are buying houses around Highland Mall to renovate them as starter homes. I don't expect the neighborhood to be in decline for much longer.

Don't know that that will fix the mall's problems, though.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Denson View Post
In the 70s I lived at the Broadmoor Apts right behind Capital Plaza. It was a well kept, safe neighborhood at the time. It really went downhill starting in the 80s.

The neighborhood immediately west of Airport Blvd/R.R. Tracks and north of Koening including Link Ave is called 'Skyview'. I actually live on Link and it's always been a quirky enclave that fits in with Woodrow Ave areas not the areas to the north. Houses don't stay on the market long in Skyview and prices have gotten over $250K .....

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
Still there. My hair salon is there. Cute neighborhood.

I know quite a few people my age who are buying houses around Highland Mall to renovate them as starter homes. I don't expect the neighborhood to be in decline for much longer.

Don't know that that will fix the mall's problems, though.
It doesn't fix the malls problem, but is should be an indicator that those are quite viable areas and neighborhoods going thru their own gentrification. Should be a sign that the Highland tract is ripe for redevelopment. (And hopefully done is a manner better than the pathetic strip mall mess that is now at the old Northcross site!)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:18 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Mall giant Simon offers to buy rival General Growth
By American-Statesman staff | Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 09:19 AM

Simon Property Group, the dominant mall owner in Central Texas, has offered to buy its largest rival, General Growth Properties, for $10 billion.

General Growth filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last year. The filing did not include Austin’s Highland Mall, which is 50-50 owned by General Growth and Simon.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...rs_to_buy.html

Old Posted Feb 16, 2010, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
That's where Austin's Porsche dealership is located as well.

Back in '89 the BMW dealer (Village BMW) before it was John Roberts used to be in the building where Porsche is now cause my dad bought his '89 750IL there back in '89

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:44 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/..._comments_list
Quote:
Owner of Highland Mall files for bankruptcy
Long-struggling shopping center plans to remain open, owner's attorney says.

By Barry Harrell and Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATEMAN STAFF

Published: 10:36 p.m. Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Austin's struggling Highland Mall, derided as a retail "ghost town" by one of its anchor tenants last year, now faces a new challenge: bankruptcy.

The court filing gave few details but did say the mall's owner had assets of between $10 million and $50 million and liabilities of between $500,000 and $1 million. The Travis Central Appraisal District values the mall and its 20 acres at $43.6 million, the same as in 2009 but down from $64 million in 2008.

Highland Mall is Austin's oldest regional mall, having opened in 1971.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:07 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
Just a little anecdote... The Mercedes dealership on airport was at one time the "Fox 3 theaters"...I think it closed sometime in the late 80s? The very first movie I ever saw was at the Fox.

Highland Mall continues to be a mess...but I'd hate to seem them tear it down completely. I've got some sentimental attachments to the mall. Of course, times change...

Did they finally close the Dillard's store(s)? I would imagine they would have, given their Domain location opening earlier this year. Someone mentioned that the Men's store may remain open as a Dillard's clearance store of some type.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
Just a little anecdote... The Mercedes dealership on airport was at one time the "Fox 3 theaters"...I think it closed sometime in the late 80s? The very first movie I ever saw was at the Fox.

Highland Mall continues to be a mess...but I'd hate to seem them tear it down completely. I've got some sentimental attachments to the mall. Of course, times change...

Did they finally close the Dillard's store(s)? I would imagine they would have, given their Domain location opening earlier this year. Someone mentioned that the Men's store may remain open as a Dillard's clearance store of some type.
Well believe it or not we went to Highland Mall this past weekend. There was a fund raising Garage Sale there. It was quite a trip! Used to go there in College. It is about 60-70% occupied...in terms of smaller stores. The Dillards that is open is there Discount center! All sales final! Macy's is the only large anchor left. Very depressing. It was the weekend and it was, for the most part, empty.

I really think the best idea is to scrape it. It is such a hugh piece of property . I know we have all debated this... but I do think a much higher density is due. It will take a while.... but I would think that land will be in much higher demand in the next 10 years.

Old Posted May 13, 2010, 10:15 PM

It may appear central, but is really suburban in mindset and access - it's separated from the core by a freeway (short stub of Loop 69 or whatever it is - that joins FM 2222 and US 290); for those of us who live central it feels like a closer, but shoddier, Lakeline experience. And it will still feel that way even if scraped and rebuilt - those freeways aren't going anywhere; nor is most of the crap on Airport.

Old Posted May 15, 2010, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The Dillards that is open is there Discount center! All sales final!
They needed to move that someplace after the Dillard's Clearance Center at Forum 303 Mall in Irving closed a couple of years ago when that mall was torn down and the land redeveloped. We used to go there a couple of times a year from OKC, I found a couple of great deals on suits there over the years.

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 4:27 PM
Austinite

Looks like ACC has plans to expand into the vacated Dillard's space. Thoughts? Any chance portions of the mall would remain in it's current configuration? See statesman article below ("breaking news")

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...=breaking_news

Quote:
ACC buys Dillard’s Highland Mall store

By American-Statesman staff |
Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 11:02 AM

Austin Community College has purchased a 4-story Dillard’s store at Highland Mall and 18 acres of land for offices and classroom space.

ACC President Stephen Kinslow said the investment will help the community college “expand operations, student services and learning opportunities to meet high demand in the service area, and it has the potential to revitalize a local landmark.” ...

Old Posted May 25, 2010, 4:54 PM

JMVC and others will likely try to use this as an example of TOD activity bursting into flower along the Red Line; but the Dillard's store is 0.29 miles from the stop (further than the quarter-mile max most people will walk to even a normal office from their station; a TOD should be closer than that to be considered truly transit-ORIENTED).

Of course, it's also telling that it's a public entity doing this development and not a private sector developer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin