HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 12:03 PM
Meh

Cool 801 Barton Springs | 106 FEET | 9 FLOORS | Complete

A developer is planning a 14-story condo tower on Barton Springs Road, at the former site of the Filling Station diner.

Click on the link below to see the map.

http://www.statesman.com/business/co...ngstation.html
Quote:
[b]REAL ESTATE
Developers want to build 14-story project on Filling Station site
Bouldin Creek neighbors oppose request for height variance.

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, March 09, 2007

A landmark restaurant on Barton Springs Road where burgers and brews were once served could be replaced by a 14-story building with diners, office workers and condo dwellers.

The project, planned at the site of the former Filling Station restaurant, has stirred opposition from some nearby Bouldin Creek neighborhood residents who say it will be too tall for the area. The prime real estate near Town Lake and Zilker Park has attracted developers' interest since the restaurant closed in 2004.

Texas American Resources Co., an Austin-based energy company, bought the site last summer. The company wants to raze the restaurant and start construction late this year on a mid-rise building with stepped height. But it would need a variance to build up to 180 feet on the tallest part closest to Barton Springs Road, said James Cormier, consultant and project manager.

Current zoning caps height on the site at 60 feet.

-------------------------------------------

Again, to the NIMBYS, (Not-in-my-backyard/folks who are opposed to it), who might be reading this: there are other buildings in the area of comparable height. One Texas Center, a 15-story office building at 505 Barton Springs Road, just a quarter mile east, (1,169 feet away), is also 180 feet tall. And the Hyatt Regency Town Lake which is at 208 Barton Springs Road, is 1,883 feet away and is 182 feet tall. Also the site is extremely narrow. The widest the building could possibly be is probably in the area of 90 to 100 feet wide. Not much, only about the width of a downtown street. Also, the article mentions the site is flanked by two other fairly tall buildings, (both of which are taller than the 60 foot height limit for the area) - those two buildings are each less than 60 feet away from this building, basically the width of a three lane street.

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Feb 26, 2013 at 7:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 12:21 PM
Meh

I really wish that the City of Austin would have some kind of public webpage on their official website showing the heights of all existing buildings AND everything that is under construction and planned. Show everything, with a name, an address, a single photo, (or a few to show it for reference), number of floors and most importantly, the building's height. This way people can get an idea of how tall existing buildings are in an area so that when a new project comes along they have something to compare them to. The above article I just posted quotes area residents and they sound as though they don't know a thing about the heights of the existing buildings in that area. If they had something to go on, as in a list of existing buildings with their heights listed, so they could know what to expect, then maybe they wouldn't be so opposed to new projects coming along. This building will be very skinny, and not all that tall. The Hyatt and One Texas Center are both much larger buildings than this one could be. This post is a challenge to any city officials reading this. If you set up something where buildings could be listed with their info, I would be more than happy to be the one to add the data. In the chance that someone is reading this with connections, please drop me a line. PM here on the forum or email me at kevinfromtx@hotmail.com, I'd love to help.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:09 PM

Doesn't sound like this project does much for increasing the density of the downtown area - 24 units. The rest would be used as office space.

I'm wondering if Barton Springs could have potential for being a shopping destination, like So Co. It already has the food aspect, a park nearby, all it needs is some nice stores to shop and big sidewalks. That would be a nice mixed use project that maybe the residents of Bouldin Creek Neighborhood Association could go for.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:14 PM
Member since 2001

How far away would the actual tower be from the nearest residential (i.e. SF-2) lotline? I believe that if it's less than 540', it would trigger a compatibility standard issue - meaning that not only will the developers need a variance on the height, but they would also have to receive CS waiver from the BOA (Board of Adjustment) as well. An uphill battle!!!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:16 PM

Yeah, this one's not going to happen - with those neighborhoods as riled up as they are now, the city's gonna throw 'em a bone.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:42 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really wish that the City of Austin would have some kind of public webpage on their official website showing the heights of all existing buildings AND everything that is under construction and planned. Show everything, with a name, an address, a single photo, (or a few to show it for reference), number of floors and most importantly, the building's height. This way people can get an idea of how tall existing buildings are in an area so that when a new project comes along they have something to compare them to. The above article I just posted quotes area residents and they sound as though they don't know a thing about the heights of the existing buildings in that area. If they had something to go on, as in a list of existing buildings with their heights listed, so they could know what to expect, then maybe they wouldn't be so opposed to new projects coming along. This building will be very skinny, and not all that tall. The Hyatt and One Texas Center are both much larger buildings than this one could be. This post is a challenge to any city officials reading this. If you set up something where buildings could be listed with their info, I would be more than happy to be the one to add the data. In the chance that someone is reading this with connections, please drop me a line. PM here on the forum or email me at kevinfromtx@hotmail.com, I'd love to help.
Very good idea... I'd support your efforts wholeheartedly. Though I get the impression the neighboring HOA's could care less about the facts, and would spin it in any way they could. But for proponents, at least there would come the availability of supporting documentation, to counteract their "lego model" "scare tactics"!

As for this project, I like it. Barton Springs is primarily a commercial corridor (east of Zilker), so I have no problem with the presence of office uses as well.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 6:48 PM

They took up park land for that huge garage (in my day in Austin we would have shot those folks) across the street and are moaning about this? That lot is between 2 buildings already. It wouldn't harm a fly. No problem building high along Barton Springs if it isn't in the Park. It would be nice.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
They took up park land for that huge garage (in my day in Austin we would have shot those folks) across the street and are moaning about this? That lot is between 2 buildings already. It wouldn't harm a fly. No problem building high along Barton Springs if it isn't in the Park. It would be nice.
Actually I belive they replace hugh suface parking lots with garages to make the Long center viable. But I agree.... that building is not a problem.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Actually I belive they replace hugh suface parking lots with garages to make the Long center viable. But I agree.... that building is not a problem.

Don't worry Chicago is eating at its parkspace too. It would be sweet to imagine a nice medium high wall of buildings lining the park...they would have great views of the city river and park and look nice from the park.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 10:05 PM

There is SF3 directly behind this proposed building, but the neighborhood (in building their neighborhood plan) conceeded that some density needed to be built along corridors. That's why they opted for 60', and to M1EK's point, keeping it at 60' is probably what council will agree upon.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 10:21 PM

I'm guessing they thought they could get a return on their office space investment by building higher and selling the top half. Also guessing employees will have 1st shot at the condos.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad707 View Post
There is SF3 directly behind this proposed building, but the neighborhood (in building their neighborhood plan) conceeded that some density needed to be built along corridors. That's why they opted for 60', and to M1EK's point, keeping it at 60' is probably what council will agree upon.
Well, I don't want to leave anybody with the impression I think the neighbors are being reasonable - calling 60' at the bottom of a big hill on a major road this close to downtown 'dense' isn't something I'd do. Same thing as OWANA opposing VMU on Lamar - the fact that it's at the bottom of a big hill should logically lead to more height than that without affecting neighbors.

However, I think City Council has gone against the wishes of neighborhoods enough lately that they'll be looking for truly arguable cases like this one to win back their bona-fides with ANC voters.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I really wish that the City of Austin would have some kind of public webpage on their official website showing the heights of all existing buildings AND everything that is under construction and planned.
Happened to run across this today. I know its not what your looking for, but thought I would share the find in case you hadn't already found it. Maybe there is something else similar for other projects.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growth/default.htm

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/growth/gwmfam.htm

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 7:17 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...pposi-1/nRWhF/
Quote:
Updated: 10:19 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011 | Posted: 10:00 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011
Barton Springs Road office building faces opposition as it heads to council vote

Though proposed height has shrunk from 14 to 8 stories, neighbors say it is still too tall for area.

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

A City Council vote is scheduled today on a proposed $15.5 million, eight-story office building on Barton Springs Road. The project has drawn opponents who say approving special zoning for the project would set a harmful precedent for development along Barton Springs, Lady Bird Lake and nearby neighborhoods, but at least two council members say they are inclined to support it.

The project, called the Park, would be on the site of the former Filling Station restaurant, at 801 Barton Springs Road, which was torn down a few years ago. Food trailers now occupy part of the lot, which is less than an acre.

Texas American Resources is proposing a 96-foot-high building that would include its headquarters, a ground-floor restaurant and a parking garage that would include spaces for people attending events at the Palmer Events Center, the Long Center for the Performing Arts and the Austin Lyric Opera, said Steve Drenner, the lawyer for the Austin-based energy company.
-

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...arton-1/nRWjY/
Quote:
Updated: 10:38 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011 | Posted: 10:37 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011
Council approves taller office project on Barton Springs Road

Six members say the high-quality design and public amenities offered deserve special zoning.

By Barry Harrell and Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saying the benefits trumped opponents' concerns, the Austin City Council on Thursday said yes to a Barton Springs Road office building that will be 36 feet taller than allowed by regular zoning rules.

The 6-1 vote to preliminarily approve special zoning — Council Member Laura Morrison was the only dissenter — came after nearly two hours of discussion, including sometimes emotional pleas from residents who said the $15.5 million, eight-story development is too high and will set a bad precedent for development in the area near Barton Springs and Lady Bird Lake.

But other council members said the benefits of the project — including developer-provided public amenities and a high-quality design — merited approval.

The project, to be known as the Park, will be the headquarters of Texas American Resources. The location at 801 Barton Springs Road — slightly less than an acre — is the site of the former Filling Station restaurant. It is across the street from the Palmer Events Center and the Long Center for the Performing Arts and is now occupied by food trailers.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 7:48 AM
Meh

wwmiv was asking about this project in the Taco Cabana redevelopment thread.

These are all the renderings I have of this project.

Originally it was proposed as a 180 foot 14-story building. I gotta say, I'm disappointed this one wasn't approved at that height and that it hasn't started yet. The design is totally different from anything we've seen in Austin. I guess the W would be the nearest thing.

I think this was the 120 foot design they were compromising with. They got approval for 96 feet. I know that things like mechanical penthouses are exempt from zoning approvals unless they will interfere with a CVC. I think the design would have ended up around 110 feet or so.

This would have been the 96 foot design.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:01 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 4:08 PM

I recently walked the neighborhood behind that site.
I don't have a problem with the builidng being built or the height.
( yes they need to build midful of the flood plane )
However, what I do hope the city has done is make them be aware of Chiller placement and the VERY loud noise polution that invades the neighborhood behind.
I was surprised by how loud it was.
Not good neighbors.
That's why you get NA's all up in your grill. And they deserve it for the lack of consideration.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:11 PM

I was at the endless city council meeting that debated this issue because they were also considering matters concerning Austin Pets Alive. The flood issue is absurd. The Austin Energy building next door and the mid-rise flanking the other side of the property also lack a safe exit to the street in the event of a 100 year flood event, but they do have rear exits that access high ground. This means that in the event of a high water situation, folks would have to remain in the proposed building until the water subsides unless they were able to access the mid-rise structures on either side. There is talk of building a walkway from the new building to the Austin Energy building, but it is not in the plans at present. Emergency vehicles would likely be able to reach the properties in question because they have raised clearance. It seemed obvious to me that the real source of opposition for this project was coming from the folks who live up in the neighborhood (Bouldin) directly above the proposed project. They don't want it built. They had the flood control guy in their pocket, or so it seemed. Right now, the food trailers occupying the parcel would be swept away in the event of that fabled 100 year flood incident. Leffingwell clearly enjoyed making that point. At least with this project, folks could stay on an upper floor for the short period of time before flood water subsided. The council debated this thing endlessly and then did what everybody knew they were going to do in the first place. The usual suspects voted against the project. I am glad this thing got the green light.

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 27, 2014 at 6:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 8:30 PM

801 Barton Springs

Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 11:07 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbrickley View Post
I've always wondered when something would go up there. Not my favorite building, but it adds office space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin