HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1061  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 12:55 AM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 8,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
It's definitely got some history to it, but feels less iconic as the big downtown icons (Bow, Suncor) get shrouded behind glass condos.
Cities should recognize when they've managed to build something synonymous to their city. It's usually hit or miss and not something easily created. Toronto stumbled upon one accidentally with the Pan Am's 'TORONTO' sign. Locals and tourists loved it immediately and there are efforts under way to make it a permanent fixture.

The Calgary Saddledome is such a structure. It may be obsolete today but the city would be wise to build a new, more spectacular 22,000 seat arena in the same spot with the same saddle shaped roof. And call it the Saddledome just like before.

If that's not possible, build the new Stampeders stadium with a saddle shaped roof (with a large opening down the middle). Calgary is one of those cities with very strong imagery and a good brand. Rather than ignore it, Calgary needs to celebrate it.

Cowboys, horses, saddles.... Calgary is much more than that of course, but know your strengths.
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1062  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:15 AM
ue ue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Notleygrad, Albertastan
Posts: 8,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Cities should recognize when they've managed to build something synonymous to their city. It's usually hit or miss and not something easily created. Toronto stumbled upon one accidentally with the Pan Am's 'TORONTO' sign. Locals and tourists loved it immediately and there are efforts under way to make it a permanent fixture.

The Calgary Saddledome is such a structure. It may be obsolete today but the city would be wise to build a new, more spectacular 22,000 seat arena in the same spot with the same saddle shaped roof. And call it the Saddledome just like before.

If that's not possible, build the new Stampeders stadium with a saddle shaped roof (with a large opening down the middle). Calgary is one of those cities with very strong imagery and a good brand. Rather than ignore it, Calgary needs to celebrate it.

Cowboys, horses, saddles.... Calgary is much more than that of course, but know your strengths.
I agree. I think these sorts of things can be lost on Albertans at large (not necessarily those on this forum).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1063  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:20 AM
logan5's Avatar
logan5 logan5 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant
Posts: 4,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Vancouver skyline from Metrotown, Burnaby.

Thank god. A Vancouver skyline shot that we haven't seen a thousand times already.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1064  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:39 AM
csbvan's Avatar
csbvan csbvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,031
^^ And it's a terrific shot. It shows the cluster, rising up to a peak on the north, and all of the new punctuations along the tabletop to the south.

I love seeing the workers on the top of the building under construction too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1065  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:14 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Coal Harbour | Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 7,139
Thanks guys. The skyline and the layers of it look even more impressive when zoomed in a lot, LOT more. Stay tuned.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1066  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:27 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 24,330
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1067  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:44 AM
ainvan ainvan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto/Vancouver
Posts: 860
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1068  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:27 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 52,357
Love that spot.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1069  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:58 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Cities should recognize when they've managed to build something synonymous to their city. It's usually hit or miss and not something easily created. Toronto stumbled upon one accidentally with the Pan Am's 'TORONTO' sign. Locals and tourists loved it immediately and there are efforts under way to make it a permanent fixture.

The Calgary Saddledome is such a structure. It may be obsolete today but the city would be wise to build a new, more spectacular 22,000 seat arena in the same spot with the same saddle shaped roof. And call it the Saddledome just like before.

If that's not possible, build the new Stampeders stadium with a saddle shaped roof (with a large opening down the middle). Calgary is one of those cities with very strong imagery and a good brand. Rather than ignore it, Calgary needs to celebrate it.

Cowboys, horses, saddles.... Calgary is much more than that of course, but know your strengths.
I like the Saddledome but disagree with you about Calgary needing more fake cowboy shit. For one thing the Saddledome wasn't built to look like a saddle. It was named the Saddledome later because it reminded people of one coincidentally. We have enough Stampetecture crap leftover from the early 00's to last decades and we don't need more. The Peace Bridge has nothing western about it and yet it has become one of the most identifiable landmarks in the city. Same thing with the Bow.

On the other hand you have the new Studio Bell National Music Centre which drew some inspiration from the nearby badlands' hoodoo formations that is quite unique looking and also references something local. I'd embrace that over fake cowboy cliches any day.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1070  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:49 PM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 5,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Vancouver skyline from Metrotown, Burnaby.
That's the first time I've seen a developer advertise the name of their development on their construction crane. Does that sign light up at night?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1071  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:07 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
That's some scary looking weather. Reminds me of what we've had the last couple weeks.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1072  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:07 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 22,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I like the Saddledome but disagree with you about Calgary needing more fake cowboy shit. For one thing the Saddledome wasn't built to look like a saddle. It was named the Saddledome later because it reminded people of one coincidentally. We have enough Stampetecture crap leftover from the early 00's to last decades and we don't need more. The Peace Bridge has nothing western about it and yet it has become one of the most identifiable landmarks in the city. Same thing with the Bow.

On the other hand you have the new Studio Bell National Music Centre which drew some inspiration from the nearby badlands' hoodoo formations that is quite unique looking and also references something local. I'd embrace that over fake cowboy cliches any day.
Agreed! it's time for this city to move past the cowboy branding as it's just not a very accurate reflection of the people here anymore. Stampede is great, everyone can get their cowboy hats and wranglers on and party it up, but I don't want that image representing the city for the rest of the year. Calgary is a young cosmopolitan city and I think hiring more international architects and attracting more prestigious brands to the city is the direction we should go.
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1073  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:09 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Agreed! it's time for this city to move past the cowboy branding as it's just not a very accurate reflection of the people here anymore. Stampede is great, everyone can get their cowboy hats and wranglers on and party it up, but I don't want that image representing the city for the rest of the year. Calgary is a young cosmopolitan city and I think hiring more international architects and attracting more prestigious brands to the city is the direction we should go.
Yes indeed.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1074  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 8:20 PM
isaidso isaidso is offline
The New Republic
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Provinces of America
Posts: 8,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I like the Saddledome but disagree with you about Calgary needing more fake cowboy shit.
We get a lot of shame about our own culture in Toronto too. If it's from Canada/US it's hillbilly crap and something we must destroy, dismiss, and hide or we'll die of embarrassment. The rush to become carbon copies of every other city in the world is a desperate attempt to be perceived as sophisticated and wordly. When we have so little regard for our own culture we end up achieving the opposite of what was intended. A society becomes culturally bankrupt when all we do is parrot what we see in Europe, Asia, etc.

I'm originally from London UK and it never ceases to amaze me how so many Canadian born people are ashamed of the domestic culture; one that most foreigners find fascinating, rich, and unique. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! Once you destroy your culture you might never be able to resuscitate it.

I find your comments and the ones made by 'Calgarian' immensely sad. 'Cowboy' doesn't make one backward, provincial, or stuck in the past. Are Calgarians really that insecure that they think like that? I certainly don't put those 2 things together. One can be cosmopolitan and celebrate/revel in western culture at the same time. When I look at Stampede I see a modern confident global city in the making that has something unique to offer the world. Or do you just want to be some non-descript city that looks and feels like everywhere else?
__________________
World's First Documented Baseball Game: Beachville, Ontario, June 4th, 1838.
World's First Documented Gridiron Game: University College, Toronto, November 9th, 1861.
Hamilton Tiger-Cats since 1869 & Toronto Argonauts since 1873: North America's 2 oldest pro football teams

Last edited by isaidso; Jul 21, 2016 at 8:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1075  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 8:30 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 16,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Agreed! it's time for this city to move past the cowboy branding as it's just not a very accurate reflection of the people here anymore. Stampede is great, everyone can get their cowboy hats and wranglers on and party it up, but I don't want that image representing the city for the rest of the year. Calgary is a young cosmopolitan city and I think hiring more international architects and attracting more prestigious brands to the city is the direction we should go.
Disagree. These changes have to come from within. You are the only ones that understand Calgary . Someone from the outside is far more likely to hitch themselves to the cowboy branding.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the cowboy branding. Agree it doesn't represent Calgary at all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1076  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:10 PM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
That's the first time I've seen a developer advertise the name of their development on their construction crane. Does that sign light up at night?
Seylynn Village does it. e.g.

Seylynn Village, North Vancouver by chrisjohann, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1077  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:14 PM
milomilo milomilo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I like the Saddledome but disagree with you about Calgary needing more fake cowboy shit. For one thing the Saddledome wasn't built to look like a saddle. It was named the Saddledome later because it reminded people of one coincidentally. We have enough Stampetecture crap leftover from the early 00's to last decades and we don't need more. The Peace Bridge has nothing western about it and yet it has become one of the most identifiable landmarks in the city. Same thing with the Bow.

On the other hand you have the new Studio Bell National Music Centre which drew some inspiration from the nearby badlands' hoodoo formations that is quite unique looking and also references something local. I'd embrace that over fake cowboy cliches any day.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
We get a lot of shame about our own culture in Toronto too. If it's from Canada/US it's hillbilly crap and something we must destroy, dismiss, and hide or we'll die of embarrassment. The rush to become carbon copies of every other city in the world is a desperate attempt to be perceived as sophisticated and wordly. When we have so little regard for our own culture we end up achieving the opposite of what was intended. A society becomes culturally bankrupt when all we do is parrot what we see in Europe, Asia, etc.

I'm originally from London UK and it never ceases to amaze me how so many Canadian born people are ashamed of the domestic culture; one that most foreigners find fascinating, rich, and unique. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! Once you destroy your culture you might never be able to resuscitate it.

I find your comments and the ones made by 'Calgarian' immensely sad. 'Cowboy' doesn't make one backward, provincial, or stuck in the past. Are Calgarians really that insecure that they think like that? I certainly don't put those 2 things together. One can be cosmopolitan and celebrate/revel in western culture at the same time. When I look at Stampede I see a modern confident global city in the making that has something unique to offer the world. Or do you just want to be some non-descript city that looks and feels like everywhere else?
No. I'm not a cowboy and none of my friends in Calgary are either, it has no bearing on my culture, nor on almost the entirety of the million plus people that live in this city. I cringe at all this tacky fake cultural appropriation.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1078  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:53 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
We get a lot of shame about our own culture in Toronto too. If it's from Canada/US it's hillbilly crap and something we must destroy, dismiss, and hide or we'll die of embarrassment. The rush to become carbon copies of every other city in the world is a desperate attempt to be perceived as sophisticated and wordly. When we have so little regard for our own culture we end up achieving the opposite of what was intended. A society becomes culturally bankrupt when all we do is parrot what we see in Europe, Asia, etc.

I'm originally from London UK and it never ceases to amaze me how so many Canadian born people are ashamed of the domestic culture; one that most foreigners find fascinating, rich, and unique. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! Once you destroy your culture you might never be able to resuscitate it.

I find your comments and the ones made by 'Calgarian' immensely sad. 'Cowboy' doesn't make one backward, provincial, or stuck in the past. Are Calgarians really that insecure that they think like that? I certainly don't put those 2 things together. One can be cosmopolitan and celebrate/revel in western culture at the same time. When I look at Stampede I see a modern confident global city in the making that has something unique to offer the world. Or do you just want to be some non-descript city that looks and feels like everywhere else?
Being a lifelong Calgarian who also has family roots in the ranching community I find everything about the Stampede and the perceived cowboy culture of Calgary to be a sham. Calgarians aren't cowboys anymore than Torontonians are. Calgary's cowboy culture in this day and age is a myth. If anything those who embrace it often times use it as an excuse to behave like assholes and drive massive, exhaust spewing trucks to over-compensate for their Donald Trump sized penises.

Besides that, embracing this cowboy culture image on an architectural level leads to disasters like Cross Iron Mills.

Edit: Using this same rationale I think that Montreal should embrace its' boucheron heritage! All architecture should feel reminiscent of log cabins. Also poutine.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1079  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:59 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 16,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Yes.



No. I'm not a cowboy and none of my friends in Calgary are either, it has no bearing on my culture, nor on almost the entirety of the million plus people that live in this city. I cringe at all this tacky fake cultural appropriation.
Yeah cowboys aren't exactly synonymous with sophistication and urban minded ideals. It's definitely not the best of images but, it does put Calgary on the international scene. I guess my point is that I just don't think it's possible to change the cowboy imagine and keep Stampede going. Just have to laugh at the Euros if they take it too literally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1080  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:08 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,732
For reference this is what happens when Calgary embraces cowboy and fake western themes:



Straight from the gullet of the Ugly Canada thread.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.