HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 12:55 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
It's definitely got some history to it, but feels less iconic as the big downtown icons (Bow, Suncor) get shrouded behind glass condos.
Cities should recognize when they've managed to build something synonymous to their city. It's usually hit or miss and not something easily created. Toronto stumbled upon one accidentally with the Pan Am's 'TORONTO' sign. Locals and tourists loved it immediately and there are efforts under way to make it a permanent fixture.

The Calgary Saddledome is such a structure. It may be obsolete today but the city would be wise to build a new, more spectacular 22,000 seat arena in the same spot with the same saddle shaped roof. And call it the Saddledome just like before.

If that's not possible, build the new Stampeders stadium with a saddle shaped roof (with a large opening down the middle). Calgary is one of those cities with very strong imagery and a good brand. Rather than ignore it, Calgary needs to celebrate it.

Cowboys, horses, saddles.... Calgary is much more than that of course, but know your strengths.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Cities should recognize when they've managed to build something synonymous to their city. It's usually hit or miss and not something easily created. Toronto stumbled upon one accidentally with the Pan Am's 'TORONTO' sign. Locals and tourists loved it immediately and there are efforts under way to make it a permanent fixture.

The Calgary Saddledome is such a structure. It may be obsolete today but the city would be wise to build a new, more spectacular 22,000 seat arena in the same spot with the same saddle shaped roof. And call it the Saddledome just like before.

If that's not possible, build the new Stampeders stadium with a saddle shaped roof (with a large opening down the middle). Calgary is one of those cities with very strong imagery and a good brand. Rather than ignore it, Calgary needs to celebrate it.

Cowboys, horses, saddles.... Calgary is much more than that of course, but know your strengths.
I agree. I think these sorts of things can be lost on Albertans at large (not necessarily those on this forum).

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Vancouver skyline from Metrotown, Burnaby.

Thank god. A Vancouver skyline shot that we haven't seen a thousand times already.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:39 AM

^^ And it's a terrific shot. It shows the cluster, rising up to a peak on the north, and all of the new punctuations along the tabletop to the south.

I love seeing the workers on the top of the building under construction too.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:14 AM

Thanks guys. The skyline and the layers of it look even more impressive when zoomed in a lot, LOT more. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:27 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:44 AM

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:27 PM
Community Guy

Love that spot.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 3:58 PM
Fake News

Quote:

I like the Saddledome but disagree with you about Calgary needing more fake cowboy shit. For one thing the Saddledome wasn't built to look like a saddle. It was named the Saddledome later because it reminded people of one coincidentally. We have enough Stampetecture crap leftover from the early 00's to last decades and we don't need more. The Peace Bridge has nothing western about it and yet it has become one of the most identifiable landmarks in the city. Same thing with the Bow.

On the other hand you have the new Studio Bell National Music Centre which drew some inspiration from the nearby badlands' hoodoo formations that is quite unique looking and also references something local. I'd embrace that over fake cowboy cliches any day.

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Vancouver skyline from Metrotown, Burnaby.
That's the first time I've seen a developer advertise the name of their development on their construction crane. Does that sign light up at night?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:07 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
That's some scary looking weather. Reminds me of what we've had the last couple weeks.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I like the Saddledome but disagree with you about Calgary needing more fake cowboy shit. For one thing the Saddledome wasn't built to look like a saddle. It was named the Saddledome later because it reminded people of one coincidentally. We have enough Stampetecture crap leftover from the early 00's to last decades and we don't need more. The Peace Bridge has nothing western about it and yet it has become one of the most identifiable landmarks in the city. Same thing with the Bow.

On the other hand you have the new Studio Bell National Music Centre which drew some inspiration from the nearby badlands' hoodoo formations that is quite unique looking and also references something local. I'd embrace that over fake cowboy cliches any day.
Agreed! it's time for this city to move past the cowboy branding as it's just not a very accurate reflection of the people here anymore. Stampede is great, everyone can get their cowboy hats and wranglers on and party it up, but I don't want that image representing the city for the rest of the year. Calgary is a young cosmopolitan city and I think hiring more international architects and attracting more prestigious brands to the city is the direction we should go.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:09 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Agreed! it's time for this city to move past the cowboy branding as it's just not a very accurate reflection of the people here anymore. Stampede is great, everyone can get their cowboy hats and wranglers on and party it up, but I don't want that image representing the city for the rest of the year. Calgary is a young cosmopolitan city and I think hiring more international architects and attracting more prestigious brands to the city is the direction we should go.
Yes indeed.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 8:20 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
I like the Saddledome but disagree with you about Calgary needing more fake cowboy shit.
We get a lot of shame about our own culture in Toronto too. If it's from Canada/US it's hillbilly crap and something we must destroy, dismiss, and hide or we'll die of embarrassment. The rush to become carbon copies of every other city in the world is a desperate attempt to be perceived as sophisticated and wordly. When we have so little regard for our own culture we end up achieving the opposite of what was intended. A society becomes culturally bankrupt when all we do is parrot what we see in Europe, Asia, etc.

I'm originally from London UK and it never ceases to amaze me how so many Canadian born people are ashamed of the domestic culture; one that most foreigners find fascinating, rich, and unique. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! Once you destroy your culture you might never be able to resuscitate it.

I find your comments and the ones made by 'Calgarian' immensely sad. 'Cowboy' doesn't make one backward, provincial, or stuck in the past. Are Calgarians really that insecure that they think like that? I certainly don't put those 2 things together. One can be cosmopolitan and celebrate/revel in western culture at the same time. When I look at Stampede I see a modern confident global city in the making that has something unique to offer the world. Or do you just want to be some non-descript city that looks and feels like everywhere else?

Last edited by isaidso; Jul 21, 2016 at 8:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 8:30 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Disagree. These changes have to come from within. You are the only ones that understand Calgary . Someone from the outside is far more likely to hitch themselves to the cowboy branding.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the cowboy branding. Agree it doesn't represent Calgary at all.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 9:10 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
That's the first time I've seen a developer advertise the name of their development on their construction crane. Does that sign light up at night?
Seylynn Village does it. e.g.

Seylynn Village, North Vancouver by chrisjohann, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Yes.

Quote:
We get a lot of shame about our own culture in Toronto too. If it's from Canada/US it's hillbilly crap and something we must destroy, dismiss, and hide or we'll die of embarrassment. The rush to become carbon copies of every other city in the world is a desperate attempt to be perceived as sophisticated and wordly. When we have so little regard for our own culture we end up achieving the opposite of what was intended. A society becomes culturally bankrupt when all we do is parrot what we see in Europe, Asia, etc.

I'm originally from London UK and it never ceases to amaze me how so many Canadian born people are ashamed of the domestic culture; one that most foreigners find fascinating, rich, and unique. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! Once you destroy your culture you might never be able to resuscitate it.

I find your comments and the ones made by 'Calgarian' immensely sad. 'Cowboy' doesn't make one backward, provincial, or stuck in the past. Are Calgarians really that insecure that they think like that? I certainly don't put those 2 things together. One can be cosmopolitan and celebrate/revel in western culture at the same time. When I look at Stampede I see a modern confident global city in the making that has something unique to offer the world. Or do you just want to be some non-descript city that looks and feels like everywhere else?
No. I'm not a cowboy and none of my friends in Calgary are either, it has no bearing on my culture, nor on almost the entirety of the million plus people that live in this city. I cringe at all this tacky fake cultural appropriation.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:53 PM
Fake News

Quote:

Being a lifelong Calgarian who also has family roots in the ranching community I find everything about the Stampede and the perceived cowboy culture of Calgary to be a sham. Calgarians aren't cowboys anymore than Torontonians are. Calgary's cowboy culture in this day and age is a myth. If anything those who embrace it often times use it as an excuse to behave like assholes and drive massive, exhaust spewing trucks to over-compensate for their Donald Trump sized penises.

Besides that, embracing this cowboy culture image on an architectural level leads to disasters like Cross Iron Mills.

Edit: Using this same rationale I think that Montreal should embrace its' boucheron heritage! All architecture should feel reminiscent of log cabins. Also poutine.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 10:59 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Yes.

No. I'm not a cowboy and none of my friends in Calgary are either, it has no bearing on my culture, nor on almost the entirety of the million plus people that live in this city. I cringe at all this tacky fake cultural appropriation.
Yeah cowboys aren't exactly synonymous with sophistication and urban minded ideals. It's definitely not the best of images but, it does put Calgary on the international scene. I guess my point is that I just don't think it's possible to change the cowboy imagine and keep Stampede going. Just have to laugh at the Euros if they take it too literally.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 11:08 PM
Fake News

For reference this is what happens when Calgary embraces cowboy and fake western themes:

Straight from the gullet of the Ugly Canada thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada