HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 2:30 AM
Acey

WB flyover at 88 St is open. Paving underneath the basketweave today and I think they were paving on the second WB-SB bridge today. New 2 lane 'exit only' sign is up at the SB exit for Deerfoot, and it's on an existing gantry. I wonde if that's temporary and they only did that because they're running out of time, as they haven't put signs on existing gantries anywhere else. All hands on deck at the bridges over EB mainline and getting the EB-NB flyover ready; probably 150 people at this whole interchange complex if I were to guess.

Looks like they've made a pretty big change from the presentation board regarding the approach for the SB-EB loop onto 22X... I'll have to wait till next week to confirm that.

Funny how the exit numbering works out heading eastbound from Macleod. SV/Chap is exit 1, McK/Cran is exit 3, then Deerfoot is exit 101.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2013, 3:34 AM
Acey

Good thing Google Street View is out of date, I was able to compile a few pics before they update it to show how far we've come.

McKenzie Blvd/Cranston Blvd

88 St

Basketweave

Centre pier in 22X median for EB-NB flyover at Deerfoot

Glenmore

Wall for second bridge of EB-NB flyover

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 11:24 PM
Acey

EB-NB flyover getting lines painted right now. Looks like everything will be ready at some point this week, except maybe traffic on top of the basketweave. Absolutely incredible progress in the last 10 days.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 11:37 PM
BANNED

That $70,000 per day penalty is prob some good motivation to get it done.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 12:28 AM
Acey

WB approaching 88 St

New WB flyover at 88 St

After the bridge

At least they fixed the sign. lol.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 2:12 AM
Acey

This is the change from the presentation board I mentioned earlier at Deerfoot/22X.

The approach for the SB-EB loop that I pointed to with the red arrow is not getting built. It will just be a normal exit lane coming off the SB lanes. I suppose it's safer having traffic exit only once, and also gives traffic going around the loop more time to decelerate, a tertiary advantage would be that it's a bit easier to sign... but I guess none of those were enough to justify the much higher cost as the second bridge of the EB-NB flyover would have then required 2 piers instead of 1.

Hopefully yyc_engineer can chime in.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 12:23 PM

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/809...-road-delayed/

No surprise here.

Opening of Calgary’s southeast ring road delayed

Commuters on Calgary’s congested southeast streets will have to wait a little longer to cruise the lanes of their portion of the ring road.

Alberta Transportation Minister Ric McIver told Metro exclusively Sunday that the three-year, $769-million construction project to extend Stoney Trail past Peigan Trail to Highway 22X won’t be completed in time for a planned Tuesday unveiling and it’s unclear when exactly it will be ready for free-flowing traffic.

“The contractor, at some point, will probably be better to answer that question,” McIver said when asked about a revised opening date.

“We’re hoping it will be no more than a week or two and perhaps less, depending upon what progress the contractor makes. Of course, outdoor construction is always somewhat weather-dependent.”

Indications last week were that the southeast ring road would open Tuesday, but McIver said his ministry is waiting on a safety audit report, while certain bridge approaches at Deerfoot Trail and Cranston Blvd. S.E. still require paving.

When completed, the project will add 25 kilometres of roadway across six lanes of divided highway. It features 27 bridges, nine interchanges and three flyovers (one road and two railway), along with 12 kilometres of roadway off Deerfoot Trail between Stoney Trail and the Highway 2A Junction.

McIver pledged no additional taxpayer costs as the project was green-lighted through a public-private-partnership. Contractor group Chinook Roads Partnership will, however, be slapped with an estimated $75,000 fine for every day the roadway remains closed past Oct. 1, he said.

Word of the delay was cause for frustration among area residents and Ward 12 Ald. Shane Keating, who said he was personally surprised to see many “extremely nice” weekends where few, if any, workers were present.

“I didn’t quite understand why they wouldn’t push as hard as they could all the time,” he said.

McIver said an early winter last year and delayed spring this year may have been factors in the delay.

“At this point, I think we’re cheering for the same thing the contractor is: For them to get finished, for them to get paid and for the traffic availability to be delivered to Albertans,” McIver said.

Shane Byciuk, president of the Cranston Community Association, said work only began on the access point in his neighbourhood about 10 days ago and has created headaches for residents attempting to head east out of the community.

“I looked at it and thought there’s no way it’s going to be done,” he said. “It’s frustrating, but not surprising.”

Byciuk added residents will fully expect the province to hold the contractor to the fines for being delayed.

A vote is scheduled among members of the Tsuu T’ina Nation next month that will determine whether they will allow the southwest portion of the ring road — the final leg of the project — to run through their land.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 12:30 PM
Acey

Global story
660 story

Labour Day weekend and the weekend before, they did pretty much nothing.

Either way, I doubt it will be more than the 2 weeks. The risk they take in cutting it so close is having a bridge fail an audit... then they're beyond fucked.

I'd love to listen in on a conference call with McIver.

Contractor: So we plan to cut and fill the McKenzie interchange in the next 10 days.

McIver: Didn't it just take you 2 months to do a similar process at 52nd St?

Contractor: Oh yeah....

Last edited by Acey; Sep 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 2:55 PM

The safety audit is for the entire road, not just the bridges. They will go out there and check to make sure everything looks good for sightlines, signs aren't being obstructed, and so on. There was quite a bit of work that came from the safety audit in the NE, so a week or two will be an interesting target on something that in a lesser state of completion than the NE was when it was audited.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:35 PM
Acey

I can think of at least 2 signs that have trees directly in front of them, though I'm sure that's pretty far down on the list of things to fix.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 3:38 PM
Closed account

I wonder if this means we will have the SE opening, the Municipal Elections and the Tsuu T'ina vote all within about a week of each other?

This is going to be quite the month for this project.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 5:05 PM
YIMBY

Question: What is the difference between a flyover and bridge? Span length? i.e. a flyover is a bridge but a bridge isn't always a flyover?

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 5:07 PM
Acey

That'd be the 2 rail flyovers, and the 61 Ave flyover, based on "which of these is not like the others" logic.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 5:12 PM
Near Generational

I am very surprised they didn't make the date. Especially since they didn't work weekends right up to the very end.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 5:16 PM
Acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I am very surprised they didn't make the date. Especially since they didn't work weekends right up to the very end.
Yeah eh? Somebody's probably getting screamed at for that little bit of "mismanagement". But Mazrim's post implies they're not even close. It's pretty interesting.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 6:53 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Question: What is the difference between a flyover and bridge? Span length? i.e. a flyover is a bridge but a bridge isn't always a flyover?
As I understand it a flyover is a bridge with no access on or off.
An interchange is a bridge or series of bridges with access to and from the roads being "interchanged".

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 8:27 PM
Acey

To clarify, mainline flies over the tracks just south of Peigan, and the third is the 2 lane flyover of 61 Ave over mainline.

In the NW, temporary barriers are up on EB Stoney about 1.2 km past HHB heading toward Deerfoot. They're making quick work of the section between WNC and HHB.

Last edited by Acey; Sep 30, 2013 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 9:18 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
An interchange is a bridge or series of bridges with access to and from the roads being "interchanged".
Ah, that makes sense, thanks

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
This is the change from the presentation board I mentioned earlier at Deerfoot/22X.

The approach for the SB-EB loop that I pointed to with the red arrow is not getting built. It will just be a normal exit lane coming off the SB lanes. I suppose it's safer having traffic exit only once, and also gives traffic going around the loop more time to decelerate, a tertiary advantage would be that it's a bit easier to sign... but I guess none of those were enough to justify the much higher cost as the second bridge of the EB-NB flyover would have then required 2 piers instead of 1.

Hopefully yyc_engineer can chime in.
Hmmm...interesting hypotheses. Whatever the reason, it was before I started on the project. Generally, I believe the preferred choice is to have a single exit off the freeway (Deerfoot) which then splits off into the two separate EB & WB ramps, but in this case I'm guessing the shorter bridge $ savings + drivers taking EB not having to make the 'S' curve and just exit right resulted in the constructed configuration.

The new EB 22X / Stoney Trail -> NB Deerfoot flyover is now open, once again some cool views of DT and the city from this 3rd level directional. Just a few more ramps/bridges to go and we are almost there! WB 22X (Stoney Trail) is now free flow from the East city limit to Macleod Trail (which will soon have a second set of signals on the bridge lol).

Less than 4 weeks till the Tsuu T'ina vote!! Hope it's a yes so I can buy a new car & condo lol

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 10:30 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
So where Deerfoot goes over Ogden road - flyover then?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure