HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 11:39 PM

Canada Census : Calgary

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 3:34 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 28, 2017 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2008, 4:52 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
It is nice to see infill actually creating and increasing density aswell, not just replacing what was lost.
Not very surprising here. Most of our infill is happening by subdividing one older large lot into two smaller lots, and the odd apartment building. It would be nice if we had more midrise info ala the Bridges, that would make living in the innercity much more affordable for the average person.

Flickr

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 1:27 AM

You're absolutely right. Most of the city is fairly consistent with the percentages of visible minorities. Interesting to see that the far south (Bridlewood etc..) having a percentage between 29 and 48%. That area is bucking the trend for the south. Looking at the map, you see why Calgary would be the most racially integrated city in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post

Immigrants vs Allophones - Neat to see where immigrants are more likely to retain their own language. The maps also show (I think) a reasonable degree of mix and a lack of ghettoization of particular groups.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 6:27 PM
That's what she said

This is just out of curiosity, but are there any stats on Homosexual populations of cities in Canada? I'm not trying to cause offense here, just merely curious. From what I can see statscan doesn't have them.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 6:57 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
This is just out of curiosity, but are there any stats on Homosexual populations of cities in Canada? I'm not trying to cause offense here, just merely curious. From what I can see statscan doesn't have them.
They don't count or ask about sexual orientation per se; they do, now, count same-sex couples and the results were reported in the "families" release on sept 12. Here are percentages of same-sex couples among all couples:

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...es/table12.htm

As you can see, Calgary is right at the national average (0.6%). This isn't in any way a good estimate for how many G/L people are in the city, but it's the best we have right now.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 8:43 PM
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
They don't count or ask about sexual orientation per se; they do, now, count same-sex couples and the results were reported in the "families" release on sept 12. Here are percentages of same-sex couples among all couples:

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cens...es/table12.htm

As you can see, Calgary is right at the national average (0.6%). This isn't in any way a good estimate for how many G/L people are in the city, but it's the best we have right now.
Thanks for the info Furry. I wanted to see how Calgary stacked up against other cities in Canada. I've heard Calgary described as a redneck, homophobic city but as you've pointed out it's about the national average.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:12 PM
The Republic of Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobyoby View Post
Thanks for the info Furry. I wanted to see how Calgary stacked up against other cities in Canada. I've heard Calgary described as a redneck, homophobic city but as you've pointed out it's about the national average.

So what! 1410 Calgary couples who don't have a opposite sex relationship keep the other 251 715 normal couples from being homophobic? Same sex couples Always label "normal" couples as homohphobic, what does it matter.

Calgary should never pride itself on a tiny minority, or even bring it up at all.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:34 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Not sure which direction you're taking this, but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Same sex couples Always label "normal" couples as homohphobic, what does it matter.
And homophobes always label themselves as "normal", as though same sex behaviour is somehow "abnormal".

Just sayin'.

Anyway, always good to have a reminder that gay marriage laws pretty much ended society as we know it, millions of people turned gay overnight, got married, and now hetero marriages are meaningless. Yes, I still have friends who think this way.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:52 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Same sex couples Always label "normal" couples as homohphobic, what does it matter.
Where to begin...

My partner and I are a "normal" couple. We're good neighbours in a community that welcomes us. We love and support one another and have undertaken the legal responsibility of/for one another, by getting legally married, that "normal" couples do.

I can't speak for my partner but I, as one gay man, don't presume that ANYBODY is homophobic any more than I presume that anybody is racist. One happy discovery I've made living in Calgary (and getting to know the fine Calgarians on this board) is that even self-identified conservatives are almost never what I'd call homophobic. And I certainly don't think the mere fact that somebody is in a traditional heterosexual relationship makes him or her "homophobic."

Finally, I'm not saying Calgary should be "proud" of having 1400 or so gay couples; I'm just answering the question concerning whether statcan keeps track of this sort of thing (sexual orientation). It doesn't; it only tracks couples, and as I say it's the best we have.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 5:46 PM

Quote:
So what! 1410 Calgary couples who don't have a opposite sex relationship keep the other 251 715 normal couples from being homophobic? Same sex couples Always label "normal" couples as homohphobic, what does it matter.

Calgary should never pride itself on a tiny minority, or even bring it up at all.
Who says same sex couples label the hetro couples as homophopic? I've known people who are homosexual, and that's not the way it works. There are some same sex couples who probably formulate inaccurate opinions, just as there are straight couples who do form inaccurate opinions.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 7:04 PM

Geez, this was a pretty interesting thread awhile ago...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy