HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 9:28 PM

Race City Motorsports

I am not a huge Ric McIver fan but I will give him credit for supporting Race City Motorsports.

I urge you all to contact your alderman and get them to support Race City and avoid its closure. For one it will keep racing off the streets. Secondly for anyone who has been there for any events will know it supports the SE communities and also supports people from various age groups.

Albeit it is not the best facility in the world, but it serves its purpose and it provides a sanctionned place for people to race that keeps it off city streets.

Perhaps instead of expanding Shepards Landfill the city go look into better waste management like, Edmonton, Halifax, Vancouver for examples.

Cheers!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:03 AM
Round Head

Agreed, I'd like to see Race City kept open.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 4:03 AM
Hare Expert

....No no no no no. I always wanted to take up the Volvo I'd eventually have (S60/V70 R, 350hp+) and have some fun. Where would I go if it's closed?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 2:53 PM

Just got an e-mail back from John Mar that he has supported race city.

+1 for Mar.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 6:33 PM

I agree that Race City should stay open if we aren't going to get a new facility. It's in a good location, far from homes (though you can still hear it), and it keep most street racing off the street.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 6:59 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Although I don't care about it I can see how it makes sense to keep it open.

Wow, Mar actually decided to make a decision on something. I'm shocked!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I agree that Race City should stay open if we aren't going to get a new facility. It's in a good location, far from homes (though you can still hear it), and it keep most street racing off the street.
^^^
That would be my dream project to work on a new race facility.....oh to have dreams....lol.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUM View Post
I am not a huge Ric McIver fan but I will give him credit for supporting Race City Motorsports.

I urge you all to contact your alderman and get them to support Race City and avoid its closure. For one it will keep racing off the streets. Secondly for anyone who has been there for any events will know it supports the SE communities and also supports people from various age groups.

Albeit it is not the best facility in the world, but it serves its purpose and it provides a sanctionned place for people to race that keeps it off city streets.

Perhaps instead of expanding Shepards Landfill the city go look into better waste management like, Edmonton, Halifax, Vancouver for examples.

Cheers!
Oh so this is what people mean when they say "It's ok to have the **** taxed out of us, its going to help our fellow citizens"

I CALL B.S.

Everyone gets plundered so a small, absolutely minute portion of the population gets a benefit: SPECIAL INTERESTS. If you want to make unsafe decisions on public roads, be ready to face the consequences like a man: be it jail, lawsuits, or death. We don't need to spend millions of dollars for a bunch of babies that can't use common sense on our roads.

Your not exactly coming to the public asking for money to help starving children. Your "cause" is bogus. Spend money for a few deranged lunatics to drive safe. Wow - sounds like a terrorist's tactic, do this and this or else

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
Oh so this is what people mean when they say "It's ok to have the **** taxed out of us, its going to help our fellow citizens"

I CALL B.S.

Everyone gets plundered so a small, absolutely minute portion of the population gets a benefit: SPECIAL INTERESTS. If you want to make unsafe decisions on public roads, be ready to face the consequences like a man: be it jail, lawsuits, or death. We don't need to spend millions of dollars for a bunch of babies that can't use common sense on our roads.
How is it BS to provide a place for enthusiasts to enjoy their sport. It is no different than providing parks for kids to play so they are not on the street or bike paths so riders have a palce to enjoy.

A lot of the people that work there do so as volunteers and are not paid for their time. As well Mackenzie pays rent for the land, not taxpayers, so maybe get your facts together before you go off on people. I'm not going to comment any further as it is obvious you are just ranting without having any factual support to your argument.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:36 PM

Quote:

I CALL B.S.

Your not exactly coming to the public asking for money to help starving children. Your "cause" is bogus. Spend money for a few deranged lunatics to drive safe. Wow - sounds like a terrorist's tactic, do this and this or else
There are a lot of events that are held there that aren't just for street racers you know.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:37 PM

Quote:
^^^
That would be my dream project to work on a new race facility.....oh to have dreams....lol.
Calgary needs a Nurburgring!

Seriously though, that would be a sweet project to work on, maybe if we did build a new facility we can steal the Indy from Edmonton.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:40 PM

Quote:
How is it BS to provide a place for enthusiasts to enjoy their sport. It is no different than providing parks for kids to play so they are not on the street or bike paths so riders have a palce to enjoy.
Provide it for yourself, if the market can't support it, hit the road and drive to a track thats respectable, you are a driving enthusiast after all, no?

Quote:
A lot of the people that work there do so as volunteers and are not paid for their time. As well Mackenzie pays rent for the land, not taxpayers, so maybe get your facts together before you go off on people. I'm not going to comment any further as it is obvious you are just ranting without having any factual support to your argument.
Wow direct attack at me, that works all the time right?

And pound for pound, if your so smart as you say you are, the money that gets taken from citizens in the form of tax, is better off in the hands of citizens. Money spent on this race track is discretionary, and therefore if a citizen were able to retain that amount of tax for this, it would be spent on goods/services that pertain to the betterment of any particular citizen. That means business' that meet their needs, and yes surprise they employ people as well, will see that money.

Your a special interest, like I said fuel up your car, get your map out, and drive out to a decent track if your so dedicated. You might be able to take a greyhound bus out of town, I hear their leaving as well.

And yes, thanks for raising this issue on the forum, my alderman has received an angry email about this to not support it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Provide it for yourself, if the market can't support it, hit the road and drive to a track thats respectable, you are a driving enthusiast after all, no?

Wow direct attack at me, that works all the time right?

And pound for pound, if your so smart as you say you are, the money that gets taken from citizens in the form of tax, is better off in the hands of citizens. Money spent on this race track is discretionary, and therefore if a citizen were able to retain that amount of tax for this, it would be spent on goods/services that pertain to the betterment of any particular citizen. That means business' that meet their needs, and yes surprise they employ people as well, will see that money.

Your a special interest, like I said fuel up your car, get your map out, and drive out to a decent track if your so dedicated. You might be able to take a greyhound bus out of town, I hear their leaving as well.

And yes, thanks for raising this issue on the forum, my alderman has received an angry email about this to not support it.
Not a direct attack, but as it was mentionned and if you had of looked up Race City before attacking my comments you would see that there is other events held at this facility.

Again no one is asking for money for this facility. They are voting to extend the lease, which was originally allowed till 2025 but the city needs room to expand the landfill. Therefore the vote is to allow the OWNER - Art Mackenzie to have his lease extended to 2015.

I never spoke of being smarter than anyone in my comments. I merely stated that you should do some research before attacking others. Like I said this is not paid for by tax payers, the owner pays rent on the land, the employees are volunteers for the most part. All enthusiasts pay for use of the track. The city does not financially support this nor does your tax money. That is why I got frustrated with your comments, because you attacked my comments, without doing some research on the facility and how it is funded.

My comments on buidling a new facility is based on the notion of private development...no where in my comments did I presume or expect the city to fund such a facility. They are generally for the most part private developemts.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Calgary needs a Nurburgring!

Seriously though, that would be a sweet project to work on, maybe if we did build a new facility we can steal the Indy from Edmonton.
Totally, I have been to the track when the car makers are doing test of new models. Neat to see all the new cars before they are out. For the amount of exotics in this city it would definitely get use!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 7:58 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vascilli View Post
....No no no no no. I always wanted to take up the Volvo I'd eventually have (S60/V70 R, 350hp+) and have some fun. Where would I go if it's closed?
Here... i run on it every 3 weeks.

http://www.stratotech.ca/

However with that said losing Racecity would be a huge loss to western canadian motorsports. I had the pleasure of doing a lapping day 3 weeks ago.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 8:03 PM

^^^Nice ColdRSX!!!!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 9:53 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I wonder if my accountant has taken his GTR to Race City yet? He would take his Subaru there over the last few years.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 8:18 PM
Very nice!

Today was the vote for Race City and we won. 8-7 in favor of keeping Race City open.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 8:32 PM

^^^I just saw that!!!! That rocks. I sent Alderman Mar a e-mail saying thanks for his support!!!! Too bad Bronco!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2009, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Great news!! McIver will get my vote when he runs for mayor and Brian Pinhead Pincott will never get another vote from me!

Bronconnier looked extremely angry after the end of that!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy