HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Anara Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Dubai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 10:47 PM
My other title is ironic.

Arrow DUBAI | Anara Tower | 2,149 FT / 655 M | 125 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT

Urbanity.es (translated by google):

Anar the tower will have 125 floors and will reach a height of about 700 meters. Its sponsor is the signature emiratí Tameer. The design is the work of the British firm Atkins, who had previously achieved the projects of other buildings in Dubai (the tower "green" 400-meter lighthouse and Iris Bay, a project smaller).

This multi-use building will contain offices (including the headquarters of the promoter Tameer), shops, a luxury hotel with 250 rooms, 300 apartments and an art gallery exhibitions and auctions.

The building will contain an apartment that is expected to become the most expensive in the city of Dubai, with its own swimming pool in height and an exclusive elevator to the apartment.

The tower will emerge on a podium or atrium and will be raised in two bodies, united in the center of a large shaft of glass union.

The tower will be marked by gardens in height every 27 floors. These gardens will be located on a large platform that will unite the two nuclei of the tower around the shaft.

The tower will be topped by a large empty circle, in the center of which is located a glass capsule sustained by 3 arms and giving the appearance of being a large wind turbine. That capsule will contain a restaurant with panoramic views over the Sheik Zayed Road, the most important avenue of Dubai.

The Anar does (sic) not exceed the Burj Tower Dubai, but will undoubtedly be one of the buildings of the players busy skyline of Dubai, as well as the largest project of studying architecture Atkins.

Last edited by Another Jake; Oct 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 10:53 PM

Now there's a project one can be excited about, hopefully this gets built.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2008, 11:27 PM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

Another bottle opener?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 1:10 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

In this hot desert, One can use a huge fan. Another amazing tower for Dubai.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
Another bottle opener?
That's pretty much what I was thinking. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 5:47 AM

So who exactly is going to fill all these supertalls being built? I know that Dubai has tourism, but not even tourist destinations like Vegas or Paris need that much room.

I like the tower though. It's sexy. I just feel bad that it's being built in Dubai because it might not get the recognition or fame it deserves.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:11 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't know... It's not as good as the Burj Dubai's design. It's actually not that good. But I like the hole with the "pod" in the middle. Cool feature... Now they just need to replace the pod with wind turbines..

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:00 AM
Ω

very conceptual. looks like something from a 50s scifi comic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 10:10 AM
Back from the dead

I rather like the idea of Dubai getting a few towers in the same range as the Burj Dubai. It makes the BD look less out of place (or , at least, if built, that's what I figure the effect will be)

Still...I can't stop wondering the same thing that we've all been wondering for so long now. Who exactly is filling these towers ? I understand the principle of "Build it and they will come". Seems to be working so far but there has to be a limit. Dubai aims to be the New York of the Middle East and I have no doubt that it will become so. What's perplexing though is that there's only so much of a market to cater to so eventually these skyscrapers must become shells. I guess it's just a little worrying because Dubai is a rather arbitrary choice to become a world center. Nothing wrong with that but since that's the case, what happens when somebody with even more money and greater ambition comes along ?

I dunno. I hope Dubai plays out like its proponents are banking on but it seems like a very precarious line to walk until its position solidifies.

As for this particular skyscraper...not sure what to think of it just yet. I'd prefer to see it in the skyline and in context before coming to a judgement. Looks okay I guess but like I said...we'll see.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 2:56 PM

^ Dubai is becoming a world capital for the rich. There are plenty of rich people out there to "fill all these supertalls." PLENTY. People thought the Dubai Palms were foolish, but those lots and home are basically all sold even at their extreme price. The Burj Dubai was everyone's next vent and that is basically a profitable success. There are 6.5 billion people on this planet and there are few places as decadent as Dubai is becoming. They build it... and people come. I'm getting the impression that all this skepticism is camouflaged jealousy.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 3:56 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Wow. Another uninspired, completely overdone, anti-architectural proposal for Dubai. Its almost...a TREND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Jake View Post
People thought the Dubai Palms were foolish, but those lots and home are basically all sold even at their extreme price.
No. They were mostly bought by flippers who want to turn around and sell them, not to live there. Besides, when its your 18th home (for people who actually bought them as places to go), you're not going to be living there more than a few weeks a year. I imagine its very dead.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 5:13 PM

At first I thought it was a giant kickass wind turbine at the top, but seems like it's just another gimmicky folly.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 5:16 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 234sale View Post

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:26 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Wow. Another uninspired, completely overdone, anti-architectural proposal for Dubai. Its almost...a TREND!
You just need to quit bashing every new tower that comes out of Dubai, or anywhere else for that matter. Towers are not designed and built based on your tastes or personal preferences, It if were, then we would see many Chicago Spires being built around the World.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 7:53 PM

What the heck does anti-architectural mean anyway?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 8:00 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Jake View Post
What the heck does anti-architectural mean anyway?

A tower with no Chicago Architecture??

This Alliance dude is amazing.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 8:07 PM
Stay Thirsty.

I like it, I just wish that giant turbine on top actually worked. How cool would that be? Then again, it would cause the upper floors of the building to constantly sway and hum as it turned.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 10:11 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Well, I'm not a fan.

Hoo-boy, I slay me.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 10:43 PM
Look at me!

I like it. This Dubai-bashing has gotten quite transparent now.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 11:32 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
At first I thought it was a giant kickass wind turbine at the top, but seems like it's just another gimmicky folly.
That's what I thought too. By the way I think this is more like 650m and 140 floors. At least that's according to an article that interviewed the developer. 700m was quote on the website www.anaratower.com but has now been replaced with 600m+. Also I recon 125 floors of use and 140 including parking, mechanical floors, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive