HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 8:56 PM

The concept of having a pedway passed, 8-3!

The design of the parking garage for the Henry Bell development has also been aproved even though the Heritage Advisory Committee wanted it changed, it seems as though the parking garage has been altered from the original design.

I'm going to try and watch council tonight, I believe councillors were critisizing the Heritage Advisory Committee.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 9:28 PM

From the twitter live feed it appears that the Heritage Advisory Committee (ie. Shannie) got an ear full from some of the councilors. What time does the meeting broadcast tonight anyway? I may have to watch this one

Old Posted Jun 28, 2011, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
From the twitter live feed it appears that the Heritage Advisory Committee (ie. Shannie) got an ear full from some of the councilors. What time does the meeting broadcast tonight anyway? I may have to watch this one
It's suppose to be 9:30, though I think sometimes it starts later.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 12:26 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I am surprised that there had been nothing in the news about this before, it seems like an important development for that area. Coverage of developments and public awareness seems really inconsistent.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 9:11 PM

great news as it's a much needed improvement for the area.

does anyone have a recent master list of all the projects which are approved, waiting approval, or rejected?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo minor View Post
great news as it's a much needed improvement for the area.

does anyone have a recent master list of all the projects which are approved, waiting approval, or rejected?
Go to the first page of this thread!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnotout View Post
Go to the first page of this thread!
i was thinking speadsheet. but thanks, I do look at the first post from time to time. it seems like it's pretty recent (May, 2011).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 12:21 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I try to keep it up to date, but not all projects are listed there (yet), such as the Kingsgate. Downtown and highrises are mainly the focus.

Maybe someone can do something like a spreadsheet somewhere else, there is nowhere to do that on this forum.

If you want to add one that is left out, post it here, and I can add it.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:21 AM

Does anyone on here know about the new developments happening in the Kelsey Drive area? There are currently three underway on the new extension from Kelsey to Goldstone and a road off of Kelsey. I know the new metrobus depot is supposed to be in that area, has that started? I also remember 2 office buildings being proposed for the area, which I thought was the two buildings which are on their way up there, however it appears the newly cleared land across the street is for those twin offices.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:27 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Any info or pics of those, and other developments would be appreciated.

Now old news, but here's the article:

Quote:
Council votes against heritage recommendations

St. John's city council voted down two recommendations from its heritage advisory committee Monday, in regards to two developments on Duckworth Street.

The heritage committee had recommended council defer a decision on a proposed pedway over the street which would link the Marriott Courtyard with a proposed extension to that hotel on the north side of Duckworth.

"It opens up a flood of potential new pedways," O'Leary said. "If we don't have (a) policy, we could look like space 2070 with all of these things, basically zooming overhead, all over the place."

The vote to defer was defeated 8-3, and the vote to allow the pedway as part of the development passed by the same margin.

The second recommendation of the heritage committee, which council voted against was for the proposed design for the parking garage that's part of the condominium development at the former CBC Radio building.

The developer has been asked to resubmit the design for the garage at least three times over the last six months or so. But the committee agreed unanimously the latest plan still doesn't fit in with the heritage look of downtown.

But many on council said the new design is quite different.
Source: http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...ommendations/1

I think this is a special case because the pedway is connecting components of a single hotel together; it's quite different than allowing pedways anywhere and everywhere between seperate developments or at intersections. I doubt that there would be many cases where this would be required again.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 1:33 AM

The Metrobus depot has started and someone told me it won't take much longer to get built. This I think is also getting built: http://www.homesplus-nf.net/search_2...mls=-99&agent=

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The Metrobus depot has started and someone told me it won't take much longer to get built. This I think is also getting built: http://www.homesplus-nf.net/search_2...mls=-99&agent=
Yeah, I assumed the larger, 1 storey building off of Kelsey was the depot considering it's size. As well, that condo/office you linked there appears to be the building currently being built on Kelsey itself. I'll try and snap a few pictures the next time I'm driving by. I'd park and walk around, but it's a bit of a hazardous place to be without sidewalks.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2011, 1:47 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Here is what is planned for the TD building, from a report to council:

Quote:
Report - 140 Water St. (TD Place) – Total Exterior Renovation

The purpose was to present and discuss their proposed elevation for the re-cladding of the TD Bank. A copy of the elevation is attached to this report. The delegation elaborated on the challenges of maintaining the existing façade which is not particularly tolerable to the natural elements, resulting in leakage and general deterioration. The new cladding is a composite metal panel and though the final color has not been confirmed, the developer hopes to choose something similar to what is illustrated in the drawing which is a muted beige color. The new cladding will also be energy efficient.
http://www.stjohns.ca/upload/minutes...larMinutes.pdf

This renovation, and that of the Fortis building will change the look of the downtown skyline considerably.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 6:14 PM

Any photos of any of those renovations? I've seen the Fortis proposal. Are they still using that?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 8:12 PM

I noticed at lunchtime today that they've begun scaffolding the Water Street side of the TD Building. Could the re-clad project be getting started already?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 8:59 PM

So is TD Place going to be re-clad with those panels on the College of the North Atlantic Buildin?

Construction has also started on the New Cove Road condo.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
So is TD Place going to be re-clad with those panels on the College of the North Atlantic Buildin?

Construction has also started on the New Cove Road condo.
Oh no, really? I've really grown sick of that look. While the current TD building isn't the best office downtown, it certainly isn't the worst either.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 4:58 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Oh no, really? I've really grown sick of that look. While the current TD building isn't the best office downtown, it certainly isn't the worst either.
I don't think it's a bad looking building when viewed from the harbour side. I think everyone would agree that the existing brick cladding is more suitable in a heritage area than composite metal panels. It's hard to say whether it will look better or worse, but light coloured metal panels will certainly not blend in to the (primarily brick) downtown commercial area as well as the existing brick does.

(credit, my photos)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:24 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Urban Sprawl

Housing boom causes water crunch in Torbay

Quote:
The mayor of Torbay says the quickly growing town is facing some tough choices in finding a good source of water to supply new subdivisions.

"I think the ideal way would be to tap into St. John's, but they don't have any water to sell us," Bob Codner told CBC News.

"That's an unfortunate thing, but that's the way it is."

Torbay, formerly a small coastal village just north of St. John's, is being transformed by the boom on the northeast Avalon Peninsula. Homes in new subdivisions are fetching prices in excess of $500,000.

A bypass road now under construction is expected to spark more demand for housing in the area, although Codner said the town has to address its water requirements.
Continue reading at source, CBC

Also noted by CBC TV is that most of the new development is on large lots requiring septic systems, and that the population of Torbay is now estimated at around 7,000.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I don't think it's a bad looking building when viewed from the harbour side. I think everyone would agree that the existing brick cladding is more suitable in a heritage area than composite metal panels. It's hard to say whether it will look better or worse, but light coloured metal panels will certainly not blend in to the (primarily brick) downtown commercial area as well as the existing brick does.

(credit, my photos)
Fortis mentioned the brick requires a fair bit of work, it's a fairly large building to be all brick. Personally I'd rather see the windows replaced and for the entrance area to be redone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's