HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Dec 2, 2009, 6:54 PM
(Go7SD)

I plan to build a small construction testing site

Lately, I've been giving this idea some serious thought. Since I already have a two year degree in architecture and will be going back to school to learn construction technology and management I was thinking of building my very own construction research site so I can conduct testing and experiments on various construction materials and methods. All this will be built on my dad's property off the Coosa River in Ragland which consists of several acres. We already have a tool shop but I plan on adding more equipment which include things like a large air compressor ($475 at Pinky's), air gun, jack hammer, welding equipment etc. The ideal theme is to construct small projects like an exterior reinforced concrete wall with foundation or a completed module (kitchen) using various materials based on blueprints I make off my CADD designs and test them in different conditions (ie weather, stress etc.). After completing the each test project I will then make a summary comparison. I will be collecting and recording data from each test project. This will be a 10 year project all together. Based on my previous experience in manufacturing (machine shop, assembly etc), construction, business management, logistics, trucking and a crazy imagination I believe I can really pull this off. Just think of it when APPLE computer first started small from a garage in a single family home. That's what I plan on doing is taking preexisting ideas and make improvements so that the final product will be a home design I could market and use for myself. They say the single largest purchase a person makes in their lifetime is buying a home. In this case, I will not have another mortgage or hiring a builder because I will design/build it myself and save. I really look forward to getting this project off the ground. I'm sure there will be many fun challenges ahead.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 5:59 AM

You should get your engineering degree, then go do this. You will most likely see how a lot of your ideas you have to do for project reports in class.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering