HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:50 PM

Yah I just noticed the clock too, plus the metal screen was part of the west entrance of the old post office (near the flags and Canada Post sign), far nicer homage than what they did with the post office clock by the Westin

https://www.google.ca/maps/@53.54619...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 2:45 PM
Community Guy

A bunch of folks are getting another tour this Friday, will bring a good cam to provide some updates.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 4:13 PM

Good example of wait and see - much better than what I expected from the original renderings.

And I mean much as in italicized, bolded and underlined.

Might even throw in an exclamation point. Okay, maybe that'd be a bit over-the-top.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2016, 5:10 PM
Derp

Went on a brief tour of the mechanical systems last Thursday with a group from the MCA
What an impressive building, the scale was deceiving (for me anyway), absolutely massive display and exhibit areas.
They were testing the heating system while we were there, so the building felt like it was about 80F, nice to know it's working!
Some mechanical highlights for those who may be interested:
The enormous main gathering area has heated and chilled flooring, depending on the demand. I don't recall offhand but there are many thousands of feet of underfloor hydronic lines to make this possible.
As I believe Cold showed in a previous photo post, there is trench heating around the perimeter of the gathering area which we don't see very often here, but does it ever look sharp with the architectural floor grilles
There is a theater space on the second level which employs chilled sails as a means of tempering the space, another very cool, but uncommon method of cooling. Ventilation diffusers are floor mounted under the theater seating
The entire fire suppression system is piped with galvanized steel. The reason for this is, in case there is a leak in the exhibit areas, the damage is limited to clean water only and not rusty water.
Another feature which I thought was very cool, was the use of special mechanical rooms around the building to house all the terminal boxes and humidification systems. There are only air diffusers and fire suppression in the display areas, any heating/cooling systems are confined to dedicated mechanical rooms in the basement or these interstitial spaces.
Almost every air handling unit in the building has 100% redundancy, one of the units is so massive that it had to be custom built around a support pillar in order to accommodate the sheer size.

Lots of stuff that I'm leaving out, it was very informative for an HVAC junkie like myself, but this isn't everyone's cup of tea.
I will say, if the opportunity arises for any of you to tour this facility, I highly recommend it. It's amazing what goes into making a building of this scale function, commendable job done by all involved

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 4:25 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

(More)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 5:32 PM

^ That prairie sky ... oh man.

Thanks for the melt moment.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:11 PM

https://twitter.com/RoyalAlberta/sta...57059904155648

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLytMwYlVwI/

Quote:
Thousands of years ago, mammoths and mastodons roamed this landscape… now, they use Jasper Avenue like the rest of us!
#museumonthemove #yeg #yegdt #mammoth #mastodon #skeletoncasts #iceage #jasperave (Thanks for sharing this great photo, Kevin Cantelon!)

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:14 PM
Urban Advocate

Ha. I saw these on Jasper Ave yesterday. I had to explain to a co-worker that they were just casts, and not actual bones at risk of environmental exposure.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 8:40 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Nov 22, 2016, 8:43 PM

Drove by the other night, they must have been testing some of the lighting concepts. loved the lighting inside and out.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 6:25 PM
Community Guy

Looks like a few of us will be getting a tour next month, curious to see where things are at.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:15 PM
Community Guy

A nice tour today. Spaces are nearly ready to begin outfitting them. Very different experience than our current RAM and a ton more space/display/storage/classrooms etc.

More to come...

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 8:35 PM
BANNED

I've previously said that the museum is "as pretty as an airport" (a nod to Douglas Adams). I now retract my statement, thanks to Ian's picture, as it's entirely unfair to airports.

Man oh man is that one value-engineered bone thrown to us by the PC government. Thank goodness the inside is evidently built to a different standard & the location is great or there'd be no redeeming this edifice of everything meh in institutional architecture.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 1:56 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:34 AM

Looks great... I really like how she turned out.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:18 PM

Far from an airport. I think it looks good. The whole isn't stupendous but it's not awful either.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:28 PM

Not likely to win any awards, granted.

Yet, nothing to be ashamed of either. A mite too institutional for my own liking, but fits with the Law Courts et all across the avenue.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:36 PM

Nothing groundbreaking, but a decent looking building and a great cultural amenity for your city.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 4:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Your pictures continue to support & reinforce my position & your non-rebuttals aren't doing you any favours.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 5:15 PM

Delete.....

Last edited by Black Star; Apr 8, 2017 at 5:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton