HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 3:33 PM

Question Which would you choose?

Ok here we go, which of the two buildings would you choose between 101 Richmond and Westboro Station? and why?
Bought at 101, less space and cheaper, but now I am affraid of the quality and accuracy of the construction. (Accuracy regarding what we saw versus what we will get).

I just want to make sure I am doing this right. Knowledge is power right?

Thanks everyone
Alexandra

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexsks View Post
Ok here we go, which of the two buildings would you choose between 101 Richmond and Westboro Station? and why?
Bought at 101, less space and cheaper, but now I am affraid of the quality and accuracy of the construction. (Accuracy regarding what we saw versus what we will get).

Thanks everyone
Alexandra
Isn't it late to be worrying about this if you have already purchased? Sounds like you are imposing undue stress on yourself.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Isn't it late to be worrying about this if you have already purchased? Sounds like you are imposing undue stress on yourself.
Well you have 10 days to back out so still makes sense to ask questions. Re your other post on Claridge II this was built by Claridge not by Ashcroft.

You could look at a recently built Ashcroft building to see how it will most likely look in the end.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 5:07 PM

Wink

You are right YOWetal! I know I still have ten days to walk out of it. The reason why I was worried about Claridge, I thought that I read somewhere that Claridge and Ashcroft did some projects together.

I am not expecting everything to be perfect; we are talking construction here, but would like to avoid unnecessary stress. I am just trying to do my homework. And unlike most people, I will listen to good advice and act on it.

Who would be a $100.00 pair of jeans without trying them on? Well I am not totally comfortable with buying a $3??K condo from a model showcase.

Thanks guys
Alexandra

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:43 PM

Quote:
You are right YOWetal! I know I still have ten days to walk out of it. The reason why I was worried about Claridge, I thought that I read somewhere that Claridge and Ashcroft did some projects together.

I am not expecting everything to be perfect; we are talking construction here, but would like to avoid unnecessary stress. I am just trying to do my homework. And unlike most people, I will listen to good advice and act on it.

Who would be a $100.00 pair of jeans without trying them on? Well I am not totally comfortable with buying a $3??K condo from a model showcase.

Thanks guys
Alexandra
Yes and you can try them on again at home and then take them back, or at least that is what women tell me they do.

There are always problems with new construction that is why you get (or should be getting) a discount off of new prices, along with the risk of buying something sight unseen that you can't sell for sometime. If you read lots of the threads here you will see even urban Capital and Charlesfort projects (Mondrian and HP respectively) and even very upscale and expensive developments such as 90 George have problems and delays. It does seem however that people (at least who post here) who bought in them are happy.

Last edited by YOWetal; Aug 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM. Reason: Correcting Charlesfort for Domicile

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
If you read lots of the threads here you will see even urban Capital and Domicile projects (Mondrian and HP respectively)...
HP is built by Charlesfort...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor2Ott View Post
HP is built by Charlesfort...
Yes of course. That is what I mean to say, but Domicile is also probably in the good reputation category.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 11:17 PM
CondoGirl

Quote:

Thanks everyone
Alexandra
Youch... you are honestly comparing a Ford (car division, not truck!) to a Volkswagen, both in terms of price and quality.

Ashcroft's reputation is pretty much below even that of Claridge when it comes to the quality of their interior finishing, but that said I find that many people are blind to things like unevenly hung doors, air spaces in the hardwood floors, exposed nail heads, etc so long as the location and floorplan works for them. You should really be taking a look at some of Ashcroft's finished condos to see how their attention to detail suits you.

Westboro Station is Morley Hoppner's first residential project; they are long time commercial builders and have partnered with the Bourque family to develop this part of the neighbourhood. From what I've seen both inside and out, Westboro Station is in a completely different league (and price range) than 101 Richmond.

Overall, my own experience is that commercial firms build to higher standards with regards to residential projects. A great example of this is KRP Development's Parkdale Market Lofts -- beautifully executed conversion and great attention to detail in the interior finishing.

CG

Old Posted Sep 13, 2009, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Youch... you are honestly comparing a Ford (car division, not truck!) to a Volkswagen, both in terms of price and quality.

Ashcroft's reputation is pretty much below even that of Claridge when it comes to the quality of their interior finishing, but that said I find that many people are blind to things like unevenly hung doors, air spaces in the hardwood floors, exposed nail heads, etc so long as the location and floorplan works for them. You should really be taking a look at some of Ashcroft's finished condos to see how their attention to detail suits you.

Westboro Station is Morley Hoppner's first residential project; they are long time commercial builders and have partnered with the Bourque family to develop this part of the neighbourhood. From what I've seen both inside and out, Westboro Station is in a completely different league (and price range) than 101 Richmond.

Overall, my own experience is that commercial firms build to higher standards with regards to residential projects. A great example of this is KRP Development's Parkdale Market Lofts -- beautifully executed conversion and great attention to detail in the interior finishing.
Don't know alot about Ashcroft but unfortunately I can't agree with the glowing endorsement of Westboro Station. As a new owner I have been very disappointed in the quality though maybe since I bought a Volkswagen and not a Rolls Royce I shouldn't be :-). I definitely think the developer/builder's experience in residential condo construction should be considered when making the decision, and I would put a premium on choosing someone who's been in the business a while and has a strong reputation for quality and service if the finish details are important to you.

Quote:
There are always problems with new construction that is why you get (or should be getting) a discount off of new prices, along with the risk of buying something sight unseen that you can't sell for sometime. If you read lots of the threads here you will see even urban Capital and Charlesfort projects (Mondrian and HP respectively) and even very upscale and expensive developments such as 90 George have problems and delays. It does seem however that people (at least who post here) who bought in them are happy.
I think that is the key ... problems will happen but these purchasers were happy in the end which means these builders must be doing something right!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion