HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 2:06 PM

Best Places to hang on Canada Day in Ottawa?

Hey Everyone,
Myself and some forumers are coming down to Ottawa for the Canada Day celebrations. We know about Parliament Hill. But do any of you locals have any suggestions about best places to watch the stuff on the Hill that is not in the hot sun. Or any out of the less famous celebrations that go on, but that are well worth it checking out. Or how about the best place to the watch the fireworks? I heard it is Hull.

Lets hear your ideas.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 2:10 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Best places to catch the fireworks are either from Major's Hill Park, Jacques Cartier Park/Museum of Civilization and anywhere near the water beneath Parliament Hill. They usually fill up quickly, so you'd want to get a good spot early on. Also, we have this terrible luck with it being rainy on Canada Day except for when the fireworks start.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 6:20 PM
Mooderator

I watched the fireworks from the Museum of Civilization one year.. it was a pretty good vantage point. Pretty crowded though.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2010, 6:32 PM
National Capital Region

I went to the Macdonald-Cartier Bridge last year for fireworks... a bit of a walk but a good view.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 2:31 AM
Busy Beaver

There will be so much going on that it will be hard to hang out in one place. Major's Hill Park usually appeals to a younger/family crowd with activities. I usually grab a chicken sandwich there, it's a different recipe every year and it's become my personal tradition to try it. Confederation Park is a bit more for mature tastes, usually jazz and mellower music. Jacques Cartier Park has a definite Franco flavour. Lots of beer tents in the ByWard Market, you can't miss them.

Most people just go with the flow — if you see something interesting linger for a while, if you are bored move on. If you want a bit of planning, check out who is performing and move from one venue to another, enjoying what comes along the way in between.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 3:09 AM

There are always great street performers along Wellington and Sussex, especially in front of the Chatreau Laurier. I would check them out in the afternoon. Hit up a pub for dinner, maybe go a bit down Elgin or Bank into Centretown to avoid ridiculous line-ups; and maybe get a seat on a patio :-). I always make a point to see the evening main act (this year Barenaked Ladies) as well as the fireworks. The rest is up to you....

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 3:44 AM

For a good dinner, I would do what O-Town Hockey suggests. Get away from the crowds where the restaurants are not quite as busy. It is isn't just the line-ups but the quality of service and the meal that can suffer when there is pressure to move too many people through a restaurant on Canada Day. Elgin Street is a good location (south of the end of the boulevard), a bit away from the busyness but still within walking distance of the action.

You are getting some good advice about where to be for the fireworks. One of the worst places is in front of the Parliament Buildings.

Canada Day is an all day event, starting in the morning and running until 10 pm when the fireworks show takes place. There are events on Parliament Hill starting at 9 am until noon followed by a show until 1:30 pm and then the main show in the evening 6:30 pm to 10 pm. Of course, you can spend all day walking around the various venues mentioned by others here. Whereever the crowds are, there is something going on. Here is a useful link http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/canadaday/ . It should be mentioned that the Queen will be in Ottawa on Canada Day this year. I don't know whether there will be any public appearances but usually there are from past experiences.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Jun 11, 2010 at 4:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 10:44 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
For a good dinner, I would do what O-Town Hockey suggests. Get away from the crowds where the restaurants are not quite as busy. It is isn't just the line-ups but the quality of service and the meal that can suffer when there is pressure to move too many people through a restaurant on Canada Day. Elgin Street is a good location (south of the end of the boulevard), a bit away from the busyness but still within walking distance of the action.

You are getting some good advice about where to be for the fireworks. One of the worst places is in front of the Parliament Buildings.

Canada Day is an all day event, starting in the morning and running until 10 pm when the fireworks show takes place. There are events on Parliament Hill starting at 9 am until noon followed by a show until 1:30 pm and then the main show in the evening 6:30 pm to 10 pm. Of course, you can spend all day walking around the various venues mentioned by others here. Whereever the crowds are, there is something going on. Here is a useful link http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/canadaday/ . It should be mentioned that the Queen will be in Ottawa on Canada Day this year. I don't know whether there will be any public appearances but usually there are from past experiences.
I didn't know the Queen was going to be there. In that case, if you want to see her, you should get there in the morning. She'll probably be there for the usual musical ride/changing of the guard/political parts which are usually in the morning (as I recall, it's been awhile since I've been to Canada Day in Ottawa).

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I didn't know the Queen was going to be there. In that case, if you want to see her, you should get there in the morning. She'll probably be there for the usual musical ride/changing of the guard/political parts which are usually in the morning (as I recall, it's been awhile since I've been to Canada Day in Ottawa).
Ya, your right, usually 9 or 10am for royal appearances in the past.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2010, 10:10 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Town Hockey View Post
Ya, your right, usually 9 or 10am for royal appearances in the past.
What if we want to meet her/shake her hand or is that not happening this time around?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion