HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morty McDuncy View Post
We all have our gripes about what DTLA should have been or could have been as i have mine as well. but we get what we get for now.

I'm new here so im not sure how to post video links but if you youtube videos of people walking in london for example, you will see they dont have that many tall buildings but what they do have is vibrancy in the streets.

IMO today DTLA is in better shape with all the new construction etc than it was 50 years ago. There were some gem of buildings that were destroyed along the way but at the same time the future for DTLA looks bright!

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
I’m here for DTLA, I couldn’t care less what’s happening in South America or any other city.
If you're here for dtla then how come you're commenting on what other ppl are keying into this forum? What does that have to do with dt? It's as though ppl are instead tapping into their inner edluva.

this vid shows the new hotel across from the convention ctr in a fairly complete stage. I don't think the 2nd hotel tower to its east is going up....I believe the owner has dropped plans for that part of the proj. The pandemic threw everything for a loop.

Video Link

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Not sure this is the best place to ask this but what's the general consensus for choice for the next mayor of LA on this forum?

I'd personally like to see Caruso win. See if indeed he can make a dent in the homeless problem and encourage more development and density.
My preference is Joe Buscaiano, however, he doesnt have the name recognition and money that Caruso does so i will be voting for him. Never ever will i vote for a progressive again so all the rest of the candidates are a hard no.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 8:22 PM

5/5 on the ground updates

Refocusing from the Citywatch circus and politics to bring some exciting updates from the ground:

8th & Fig (Mitsui Fudosan) is now peeking above Atelier from my view. Will be exciting to see that one now rise as Brookfield has topped out (eager to see how the crown takes shape at Brookfield still)

The Orpheum sign with a beautiful new coat of paint which matches the marquee down on Broadway. Haven't walked by at night to see if it is lit up, but hoping so.

Big tall Malcoms (that is the technical term, yes? lol) have arrived at the Olympic and Hill site for Onni's tower.

Full entitled 845 S. Olive is for sale. Given the graffiti this might be old news, but its the first time I spotted the sign.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 8:30 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Not sure this is the best place to ask this but what's the general consensus for choice for the next mayor of LA on this forum?

I'd personally like to see Caruso win. See if indeed he can make a dent in the homeless problem and encourage more development and density.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Caruso certainly knows the development angle of things. But yes, we should probably avoid political discussions beyond what strictly relates to development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
My preference is Joe Buscaiano, however, he doesnt have the name recognition and money that Caruso does so i will be voting for him. Never ever will i vote for a progressive again so all the rest of the candidates are a hard no.
It's an interesting and worthy discussion so I took the liberty of creating a thread in the non-development part of the forum if you'd like to continue the discussion there.

Who Should Be the Next Mayor of Los Angeles?

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 8:41 PM

From 16:27 onward, both the skid row area & new 6th St bridge are shown in this vid...

Video Link

I've seen vids of how parts of Paris are showing a wild, wild west environment too. They give me a poor impression of that world famous city in France. Then I realize that dtla has it even worse. So if a sketchy reputation is hurting even one of the two biggest hubs of Europe, I doubt that LA will be spared.

New devlpt & city govnt work either hand in hand or at loggerheads with each other. Some of that goes way beyond who is or isn't in the mayor's or police chief's office. But a bad situation can be made even worse.

I notice that NYC is being hit with a lot of vacant storefronts & also way too much graffiti. The economics or investors of that city are hurting it. They refuse to lower commercial rental rates. But their homelessness isn't as visible as LA's, SF's, Seattle's, Portland's, etc, homelessness is.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 8:48 PM

I forgot to add that LA city govnt just approved major funding of creating a park under the new 6th bridge on both sides of the river. I've read some comments at other sites about the place soon being overrun by graffiti, the homeless and gangbangers.

They appear to have given up on the war on graffiti in NYC, so I don't know whether LA will be far behind.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 9:36 PM

I admittedly really enjoy hypotheticals/ predictions, but IMO as a whole, this forum functions best when it is focused on the general development of Downtown/ just a broad catalog of various developments. Project updates are great as well (thanks LAisthePlace!), though I do wish the subpages would get some love too.

Asking questions about specific projects is fine too, but what good does constantly spamming the same takes on the same project do? Or constantly bringing up long-dead projects? It just gets stale and is a downer. As a whole, this thread can be ridiculously doomer about Downtown. I get being hard on something you love, and Downtown absolutely has some problems, but I'm here because I love Downtown. Yeah, it's good to have some constructive criticism, and some light-hearted bashing can be fun, but this place can sometimes come off as a downtown doomer hate group.

To try to actually be constructive, I saw this last week when I was visiting. It was on Broadway next to the Bradbury Building. Has anyone else seen it/ know anything about it? I am guessing it's just a mock-up to try to appeal to buyers, but it would be cool to know if it was something more substantial.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 10:36 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I forgot to add that LA city govnt just approved major funding of creating a park under the new 6th bridge on both sides of the river. I've read some comments at other sites about the place soon being overrun by graffiti, the homeless and gangbangers.

They appear to have given up on the war on graffiti in NYC, so I don't know whether LA will be far behind.
I posted about it yesterday here.

I think as long as residents of the Arts District use the park on a frequent basis, which I think they will since there's literally only one tiny park in the entire area, there shouldn't be a significant issue with vandalism. Once Alloy (520 Mateo) comes online, I think this area will get a lot of locals hanging out, walking, jogging, playing soccer, basketball, etc.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
I admittedly really enjoy hypotheticals/ predictions, but IMO as a whole, this forum functions best when it is focused on the general development of Downtown/ just a broad catalog of various developments. Project updates are great as well (thanks LAisthePlace!), though I do wish the subpages would get some love too.

Asking questions about specific projects is fine too, but what good does constantly spamming the same takes on the same project do? Or constantly bringing up long-dead projects? It just gets stale and is a downer. As a whole, this thread can be ridiculously doomer about Downtown. I get being hard on something you love, and Downtown absolutely has some problems, but I'm here because I love Downtown. Yeah, it's good to have some constructive criticism, and some light-hearted bashing can be fun, but this place can sometimes come off as a downtown doomer hate group.

To try to actually be constructive, I saw this last week when I was visiting. It was on Broadway next to the Bradbury Building. Has anyone else seen it/ know anything about it? I am guessing it's just a mock-up to try to appeal to buyers, but it would be cool to know if it was something more substantial.

Unfortunately, that sign has been up for years and the owner of that burnt down building has no intention of doing anything ever by all accounts from whomever i have spoken to. Its really a god damn shame because that corner can really turn that block around with all the new development around it. I think the owners of Perla tried to buy the lot from him in the past and they were hesitant. Its too bad that our worthless leaders wont force them to do something

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:00 AM

According to LA Reddit, the City Hall observation area has reopened (I don't personally have any details):

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I posted about it yesterday
I think as long as residents of the Arts District use the park on a frequent basis, which I think they will since there's literally only one tiny park in the entire area, there shouldn't be a significant issue with vandalism..
Yes, I saw your post, which is welcome. It's better than sspers complaining about other sspers instead of posting about dtla itself.

I don't know if limiting info in this forum to merely the details of new projs, the design of new projs, how tall new projs are or whether they have parking podiums or not...or a ground floor store or not....is creating too big of a bubble. A bubble that will be even bigger if ppl don't know the full picture....which includes knowing what's going on in other cities & also governmental issues too. DTLA doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Ppl like this add to the health of dt. The owner apparently started from the entry level & worked his way up.

Video Link

^ Certain devlprs may lose some of their confidence in creating new projs in dtla if it becomes way too gritty & chaotic. Other issues such as financing....as what oceanwide has faced for over 3 yrs...adds even more pressure.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelessportsfan View Post
its too bad that our worthless leaders wont force them to do something
vote.

and tell your friends to vote too.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
According to LA Reddit, the City Hall observation area has reopened (I don't personally have any details):
If that pic is very recent, then the large Arthur Will fountain near Grand Ave is still dry. I notice the moat & fountains around the DWP bldg are dry & the waterfall of the Ft Moore memorial is still dry....or at least they were a few wks ago. Are county & city govnts trying to send a message?

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:52 AM

Its amazing to me the nice developments that have popped up around that burnt out husk on broadway, and yet the owner seems perfectly fine with it. And those developments seemed to be ok being neighbors with it. Perhaps they were hopeful.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 3:40 AM

^ Sites like that long burnt out bldg across from the new apt tower on Broadway are a constant reminder that both city govt & too many property owners have treated dtla like a waste bin.

The head of the Colburn school said the property where their new concert hall is going to be built has been a parking lot since the 1950s...or even back to the 1930s. Don't recall exactly the time frame he used. But the land has been no better than a surface lot for at least over 60 yrs. When the site next to it was cleared for the bunker hill redevelopment proj....back around the late 1960s....it would be no better than a parking lot until just the past 3 yrs.

As I watch this, I'm reminded of how...unlike SF....investors started leaving dtla well before the 1950s. NoCal's main dt over the past 70 yrs has held onto more of its original wealth. The sidewalks & bldgs do look cleaner. Same thing with that vid of dt Seattle.

But such places....to me....have an oddly generic or uninteresting vibe about them. But I recall another dtla ssper posting here about 4 months ago about how he had just visited SF & what a great place it was.

https://youtu.be/MErhvD-6-gc

DTLA has to compete with sections of LA that are like this.....

https://youtu.be/9yDxTsJgokM

If I were into shopping as a member of the rich & famous, I'd feel more in my element on Rodeo than on one of the streets up north. The Union Sq area is SF's version of Rodeo.

Dtla has to up its game in order to give an urban layer to ppl in Socal, so LA can have the best of both worlds. Areas like Bev Hills or Venice-Samo by themselves are an incomplete picture. But slowly but surely, dtla is putting more balance into the entire LA basin.

EDIT: I thought the look of that street 13 miles west of dtla was slicker than in the past.....it is, since just about 3 yrs ago. Again, everyone and every place are upping their game. lol. Burned out properties in dt really got to be cleaned up asap.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/loha-design-streetscape-improvements-rodeo-drive

Last edited by citywatch; May 6, 2022 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Full entitled 845 S. Olive is for sale. Given the graffiti this might be old news, but its the first time I spotted the sign.
That's disappointing. That's a fully entitled building with almost no parking. It was Urbanize's project of the year for 2021.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/here-a...-projects-2021

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Refocusing from the Citywatch circus and politics to bring some exciting updates from the ground:

8th & Fig (Mitsui Fudosan) is now peeking above Atelier from my view. Will be exciting to see that one now rise as Brookfield has topped out (eager to see how the crown takes shape at Brookfield still)

The Orpheum sign with a beautiful new coat of paint which matches the marquee down on Broadway. Haven't walked by at night to see if it is lit up, but hoping so.

Big tall Malcoms (that is the technical term, yes? lol) have arrived at the Olympic and Hill site for Onni's tower.

Thanks for posting the photos--I come to this thread to see great posts like this one! I'm loving the color of the Beaudry's facade, the Orpheum sign looks great, and I can't wait to see 8th/Fig and Olympic/Hill grow taller and taller.

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
That's disappointing. That's a fully entitled building with almost no parking. It was Urbanize's project of the year for 2021.

It’s the old version of the project on the sign. The Relevant group filed new plans last year for a new project on that site, which is the one you’re thinking of.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/releva...ial-tower-dtla

Old Posted May 6, 2022, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post

It's been listed for sale for years and I think relevant group bought that site last year. Could be that the signs just haven't been removed or its still in escrow

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations