HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 12:07 AM

Best SUSHI in town

as a huge sucker for sushi, i would like to know which restaurants you think serves the best sushi. i'm not into the service or ambience of the place, all i care is the food, and food alone!

my favorite restaurant, so far, is Sushi King House. there are two locations: 5333 West Boulevard and 8176 Granville Street. the portions are huge and the price is relatively reasonable as well.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 12:24 AM

gotta try them rolls at bluewater cafe.... very pricey.... but i promise you it's worth it

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 1:29 AM

Sushi Q @ 4385 Dunbar is the only sushi place I visited in Vancouver, but it was still better than every place I have been to in Montreal.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:16 AM
Site 8 Lives

If you're ever in North Vancouver, visit Honjin Sushi. Have a seat at the bar, buy a Labatt's Blue for Mike the chef, and order up the house specialty: The North Shore Roll. It won't let you down.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:24 AM

Shabusen on Granville or Burrard, and Tomagatsu next to Toys R' Us on Broadway.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:40 AM
Registered

Shabusen sushi is terrible at both locations.

Eatery on west broadway has some funky creations.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 3:57 AM

i heard shabusen was pretty good.

oh yea, there's this place called top gun in new west, it's the best all-u-can-eat i've ever tried. they have a huge variety of sashimi and it's UNLIMITED!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 12:51 AM
Im smasher000 xD

Tomagatsu by the Toysrus
I LOVE THAT PLACE

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher000 View Post
Tomagatsu by the Toysrus
I LOVE THAT PLACE
YEA!!!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 5:53 AM
Site 8 Lives

Hiroshi's Sushi Creations

If you're a real foodie, give Hiroshi's Sushi Creations at Oak and 20th a chance.
This is my favorite sushi restaurant in Vancouver, period -- in great part because of the care Hiroshi gives to every one of his rolls. It also represents excellent value.

Hiroshi used to run the Kokoro Restaurant on Lonsdale Avenue in North Vancouver, but has now brought his culinary magic to Vancouver's westside.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:01 AM

It's a tiny little place but Asakusa Sushi in Burnaby across from Metrotown is my favorite. My girlfriend and I eat a lot of sushi but Asakusa has such good quality for a really decent price, whenever I'm out that way I try and eat there.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=l&hl=en...8365&z=14&om=1

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher000 View Post
Tomagatsu by the Toysrus
I LOVE THAT PLACE
funny you guys are all mentioning this place.... cuz over on the 'restaurants NOT recommended' thread, if you open that pdf file, you'll find that your restaurant's been shut down by health inspectors before...

that's assuming tomagatsu & tomokazu (on broadway) is the same thing......

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:27 AM
Dérive-r

^They're probably different, there are enough sushi places in this city, and along Broadway, for there to be two with similar names.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:33 AM

tomokazu is one block west of oak, on west broadway.... sounds like the same place.....

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:43 AM

well let's face it, unless it's first class dining what asian restaurant hasn't been shutted down before because of health reasons? i've been to a ton of sushi restaurants, and Tomakatsu/Tomagazu is one of the better ones.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 8:31 AM

wow there are so many to choose from, i just hope most of them are within sensible price range ;P

Old Posted Sep 30, 2007, 7:57 PM
sparky

octopus' garden on cornwall is very good (but pricey).

toshi's at main and 16th has good sushi. ajisai in kerrisdale is also pretty good (but very small, hard to get a table)

the eatery is somewhere to go for a good time, not for their sushi.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 2:07 AM

Thumbs up

TOYO SUSHI on Cambie at 6th, (just west of the bridge). Simply amazing sushi and an undeniably reasonable price. Very honest Korean family owned and operated. On par with Tojo's at half the price (they have the same sashimi supplier). Unfortunately cambie construction has really hurt in terms of business, so give them a hand if your in the neighbourhood!

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 5:21 AM

Alright finally the thread I've been waiting for.

I've lived in Marpole, Downtown, Kerrisdale, Kitsilano, and UBC. I've had great friends in North Van and Burnaby. I must've been to a hundred different sushi restaurants around the lower mainland.

And here is the verdict:

Biggest portions (but slightly average food): Sushi King (mentioned earlier in the thread)

Best and most creative original rolls: ASA Sushi on 41st avenue and Yew.

Most savoury creations that make you glad you paid extra: Blue Water Cafe and [b]Bistro Sakanav - both in Yaletown

Best overall fish and widest selection of obscure selections that won't disappoint: Toshi on 16th and Main

And the number one sushi restaurant in the Lower Mainland...

The place I go to for lunch probably 3 or 4 times a week, and a few times for dinner, and never leave disappointed...

The place where I have no idea if anything BUT the nigiri and the sashimi are any good but why even bother getting anything else...

The place where you'll pay 1.50 for your average nigiri, only you'll find that it's easily two or THREE times as big a piece of fish as you'll get anywhere else and it is the most delicious raw fish you've ever had...

And the place that will get your order wrong easily 25% of the time but you can't stay mad at them because they're so so SO SO good....

Momo's Sushi in Gastown almost right on the corner of Water street and Richards, a step and a half away from the Steamworks.

If you go there, and i _HIGHLY_ recommend that you do, try their Wild Sockeye Salmon, their Toro, their Saba, and their Unagi.
TO. DIE. FOR.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2007, 4:04 PM

Well i'm certainly going to have to give Momo's a try. Sounds great. And thanks for the heads-up on Hiroshi. I used to frequent Kokoro on Lonsdale and noticed the drop in quality with the new owners.

Gen Sushi at 21st & Lonsdale in NV is something of a local institution. Their box lunches are large, with great variety, and cheap at $7.50, although i don't think much of their sashimi.

Take Sushi just east of Willingdon on Hastings in Burnaby is my new favourite - high quality, good prices, clean, and it even has great service. Been open for about a year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining