HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
It's 300km across that one photo and some 8 million people are living in that area.
8 Million in that photo? Would that not forcibly include Seattle?
Not to contradict, but Seattle's further south, below the entrance to Puget Sound, south of the San Juan Islands, and off the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
What a weird rant. No one cared about the west coast when the border was made, not even Canadians. The only reason they even bothered with a border was because of the gold rush - before that there was no clear division between USA and Canada. It's not like there were hundreds of thousands of people that lived here and failed to get a good border because of our lack of a bloody civil war.

Borders meant a lot less back then to regular people. You crossed it if you wanted to.
That's largely true, but there were border disputes prior to the arbitrary choice of the 49th parallel.
There was the Oregon Boundary Dispute, too, which would have seen "Canada" (British North America) extend down the Columbia River!!
You might find this link interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_1818

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
8 Million in that photo? Would that not forcibly include Seattle? Not to contradict, but Seattle's further south, below the entrance to Puget Sound, south of the San Juan Islands, and off the picture.
I don't think my comment left anything unclear and Seattle's location is accurately indicated in the captions.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2014, 9:31 PM

Quote:
I don't think my comment left anything unclear and Seattle's location is accurately indicated in the captions.
Eeeeyikes, yes! Went back and saw the whole photo. Excuse me, please.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 3:45 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
That's largely true, but there were border disputes prior to the arbitrary choice of the 49th parallel.
There was the Oregon Boundary Dispute, too, which would have seen "Canada" (British North America) extend down the Columbia River!!
You might find this link interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_1818
Most of us read about that in high school. Of course there were border disputes, but Bellingham and Point Roberts were not the focus. We got slaughtered in negotiations because no one cared about the west coast back then and hardly anyone lived here before the gold rush. We're still an afterthought to most Canadians to this day.

I wonder if Richard Pakenham ever got closer to BC than Washington DC. It seems like he hated his job and/or North America, gave up early on our border, then said "fuck it I quit" when given the task of negotiating with/about Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pakenham

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 1:37 PM

Quote:
What a weird rant. No one cared about the west coast when the border was made, not even Canadians. The only reason they even bothered with a border was because of the gold rush - before that there was no clear division between USA and Canada. It's not like there were hundreds of thousands of people that lived here and failed to get a good border because of our lack of a bloody civil war.

Borders meant a lot less back then to regular people. You crossed it if you wanted to.

Quote:
Most of us read about that in high school. Of course there were border disputes, but Bellingham and Point Roberts were not the focus. We got slaughtered in negotiations because no one cared about the west coast back then and hardly anyone lived here before the gold rush. We're still an afterthought to most Canadians to this day.

I wonder if Richard Pakenham ever got closer to BC than Washington DC. It seems like he hated his job and/or North America, gave up early on our border, then said "fuck it I quit" when given the task of negotiating with/about Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Pakenham

- No one cared about Vancouver, no one really lived in Vancouver back then? Maybe the British in England (where the political power was located) didn't care about it. How about Seattle just 200km south of the border? Were there just so much more people living in that part of Cascadia region? Why did Americans care and passionate so much about drawing a line so far north, if "borders were meaningless for regular people because they could just cross it"? I think it was because it was to be part of THEIR LAND, while Canada was just some colony for resource extraction and as a strategic military post where of course some good loyal dogs live over there across the ocean.

- I don't hate the Royals, but let me talk about the Royal visits (Kate and William). They didn't even visit Vancouver of "British Columbia". They, instead, visited Los Angeles of the amazing United States with their own money (as you know, Canadian tour and entertainment was all paid by Canadian tax payers money).

Also, speaking of the West or East, I'll tell you one thing happened in the Eastern Canada that you might already know. The reason why Montreal, the mighty and beautiful former heartland of Canada, is taken over by French-only-and-only lunatics (long after the war of plains of Abraham) and Canadians had to build their new central in Toronto, the former hogtown, is because the British didn't sincerely care and look at what was happening in that distant place called Canada. Canada got its full political power to take care of itself in the 1970s in Ottawa, but it was too late to take preventative measures.

Why did this happen? Of course, the British in the homeland (England) must have thought Canada (the Province of Quebec to be exact) was a French language zoo at a corner of the British world, not everywhere. So that is fine and cool (division of those people's communication? possible separatism and struggle? who cares. It's an "interesting" zoo that we can visit). Would they have allowed the same thing even begin to take place in London? Hah!

Last edited by skyscraper03; Oct 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 2:05 PM
See ya down under, mates

http://www.ushistory.org/us/29.asp is your answer to why America cared. They wanted the 54th parallel.

As for the rest, this is going way off topic. I'm not a royalist either.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2014, 4:45 PM
Vancouver Moderator

This is so

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 12:54 AM

Back on the topic. Some photos I took back in July from the roof / 35th floor of One Wall Centre hotel tower (the one along Burrard Street).

St. Paul's hospital from above.

West End

West End panorama

English Bay direction.

The two churches at Nelson and Burrard.

Burrard street urban canyon.

Lions Gate Bridge

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 1:05 AM
See ya down under, mates

I didn't know St Pauls went so far back, and I was born there.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 1:15 AM

Quote:
I didn't know St Pauls went so far back, and I was born there.
I have never been inside, but it is a big complex. One full block.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 3:00 AM
More Towers

It will be interesting to see what the final footprint will be for a new hospital there.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 5:28 PM

Great shots - the canyon photo is impressive!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 2:09 AM

In Vancouver we may not see white Christmas, but one has to still love the effort some people put in lighting up the darkness.

Few houses along 12th Avenue in Kensington area take this season very seriously.

Canuck Place in Shaughnessy is a legendary display with around 60 000 Christmas lights.

4967 Chalet Place in North Vancouver is something to behold. Approximately 100 000 Christmas lights makes it one of the biggest in whole Metro Vancouver.

Happy holidays everyone!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:33 AM
Ach, du.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:13 AM
Reason and Freedom

Nice. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 8:47 AM
See ya down under, mates

Took this one tonight on Chalet Place in North Van:

My new phone is much better at night time than my old one. Hopefully day time is better too (Nexus 6).

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Took this one tonight on Chalet Place in North Van:

My new phone is much better at night time than my old one. Hopefully day time is better too (Nexus 6).
That's actually pretty damn good with a phone. You have been able to keep your phone very stable while taking the photo. Here's a DSLR + tripod version.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 10:30 AM
See ya down under, mates

Well I think it's clear I'm the better photographer between us.

I didn't even know about this place until my wife met the owner by chance at her work. Jim Pattison needs to step his game up now.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Well I think it's clear I'm the better photographer between us.
Obviously.

What do you mean with Jim Pattison? He also has Christmas lights on somewhere?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 1:04 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Obviously.

What do you mean with Jim Pattison? He also has Christmas lights on somewhere?
He was the reigning champ of north shore Christmas lights, you could (can?) see his British Properties place easily while going north on Lions Gate, but I don't think he's bought anything new since the 80s. It used to be impressive but he's been thoroughly outclassed since

Jimmy Pattison's House by TylerIngram, on Flickr

He's on King Georges Way and Eyremount Drive

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos