HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 4:20 AM

Thanks for the info Appleby. Much appreciated...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Would comparing McIver to Duerr be a fair statement? Sure we'd save some money but pretty much nothing significant would be moving forward?

Edit: I guess we should move this talk to the election 2010 thread.
I think people forget how much was done during the Duerr days before the city had any capital funding at all from other levels of government. Today the city gets just over $600 million dollars a year in transfers from Federal Gas Tax, Provincial Gas Tax, MSI, and GST offseting.

Duerr secured a big win when he was able to get an agreement that was the first direct no strings transfer of money to a municipality. It set a huge precedent nation wide. On top of that, he was able to saddle the province with Deerfoot and the ring road, instead of just taking the money to implement ourselves.

During the later Duerr years we started to extend the LRT again, and build interchanges. The generational upgrade to the watertreatment system begun.

Duerr was at least honest about his positions, and didn't double talk. When he held taxes low, he actually held them low over the objections of the cities major departments: roads, emergency services and transit. He didn't try to fake it that we could have both low taxes and Cadillac services.

McIvor is like a fire wih all light and no heat. Not really useful except as a symbol.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 4:54 PM

One other positive about the Duerr years is that we seemed to be scoring a lot of corporate relocations from other provinces during that time. Not sure how much of that was due to Provincial vs. municipal incentives, or other factors entirely, but in general that is a front on which we seem to have lagged during the Bronco years IMO.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 6:53 PM

Didn't we get Imperial Oil under Bronconnier? Or was that just before he took office?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 7:08 PM

Yes, I think Imperial came under Bronco - although being that Calgary is the Oil & Gas centre of the country, that move was common sense.

I am thinking more about when I lived in Ontario, in the early to mid-90s, there were a number of companies lured to Calgary and there were complaints of Alberta and Calgary in particular "poaching" companies from other parts of the country - culminating in the move of CP Rail.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 10:53 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

To me the question with McIvor is whether his seemingly 'the bottom line is the the only thing of importance' is more to get him the Mayor's job, and he will tone that down once he's achieved that, or if that's really just what he's all about.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 5:50 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Just so everyone knows, Plan-It is going to Council tomorrow. Big decision time.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:41 AM

Joe finally outlines his platform in detail! ;-)

Enjoy!

http://telljoe.ca/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:52 AM

With Joe is thinking of running for Mayor, this is exactly what he needs to be doing. To think that 2 years ago his arm needed to be twisted to run for Alderman!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 3:56 AM

Joe stands no chance, he's a nobody.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 4:21 AM

Joe's a shoe in. He stands for cowboy values and has many pictures of skyscrapers on his web page.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:49 PM

I liked his questions on his survey. He has forward thinking, or good marketing to make us think he does.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:41 AM

Why Bronconnier will lose:
-Pedestrian bridges
-Pedestrian bridges over budget

This is just the start

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 4:45 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by korzym View Post
Why Bronconnier will lose:
-Pedestrian bridges
-Pedestrian bridges over budget

This is just the start
Thanks Hank H. By the way, what if the pedestrian bridge comes in on budget by the proposed design changes?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:11 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Thanks Hank H. By the way, what if the pedestrian bridge comes in on budget by the proposed design changes?
Or if the majority of Calgarians (or actually, just a plurality remember) think that Bronconnier did a good job at things like the West LRT. Or his overall strategy for the City. Or numerous other issues that people consider when electing a mayor. Personally, I don't love Bronconnier, but I don't see anybody who would do a better job. Right now it looks like only Connelly is looking at making a run (speculation of course), but I would imagine McIver would as well. Nothing like good ol' vote splitting to ensure an incumbant wins. I would like to see Gord Lowe run, but that would take votes away from Bronco.

Maybe we can head hunt Richard Daley from Chicago. Thoughts?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:56 AM

You guys would'nt like Daley because he never came off as very intelligent or a good speaker. Having said that, Daley knows the city better than anyone else in Chicago. Most important, he loves Chicago and is very passionate about the city. In the 21 years he's been in office the city made great strides in improving it's image as a "world class" city, (it allready had a pretty good start). Sorry, I know it's off topic

Last edited by bob1954; Nov 18, 2009 at 5:58 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 6:37 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Bronco will eventually lose or not run, and the idiots will proclaim how right they were in their predictions.

Similarly, I've been hearing for 25 years how the PC are going to be voted out of Edmonton "in the next election" due to issue A, B, C, D, E, F, G... you name it, it's been claimed. Yet here we are.

Bronco was supposed to be voted out in a landslide last election, for meaningless one-issue things like the pedestrian bridge. They were so insignificant that I can't even remember what they were last time, and neither could anyone else - because he won.

If you make constant "predictions" about something, eventually you'll be correct. Much as a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 6:48 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 2:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 7:13 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
^You mean things are more complex than the election hinging on a couple of small and supposedly polarizing issues?
Well, I do have misguided faith in the democratic process.

But yeah, if I had a nickel for every time I've heard people swear that person X will be voted out of power solely over issue Y, I'd be very, very rich.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 7:32 AM

It's different this time, many Calgarians have had enough with the current aldermen and mayor. Last election there wasn't a clear opposition, just alnoor but he failed miserably and really didn't have any issue to ride on other than transit.
This time you have McIver who's really the only friend of taxpayers in city hall, and given the liberal reputation city hall has he will fare much better than alnoor. People are actually upset with bronconnier this time around and they have particular issues to cling to, the pedestrian bridge is just the start and will likely be the main over-bearing negative issue that Bronconnier will somehow have to defend. The bridge issue is a mascot for how liberal the guy is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy