HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 11:38 PM
R2-D2's army of death

My Trip to New York

I just got back from a short but amazing stay in downtown Manhattan, and good lord. If Ottawa wants idea about how to make a livable, dense city, she could afford to take a lot of lessons from New York.

The simplicity of the road system, the ease of subway use and access, ample transit maps that make sense and endless things for people of all walks of life to do. In Bryant park, they set up an open air bar/club with heaters and couches at every table making it enjoyable even in the dead cold.

And despite what NIMBY's will tell you, It's not that dark or windy with all those actual skyscrapers around that are usually well over 40 storeys tall. New York has also taken a great amount of pride in preserving their old and historic buildings but keeping them open to the public.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 3:10 AM
Elle est déjà vide!

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'v been myself several times and always get a charge out of New York. Any pictures?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 4:41 AM

New York is my favorite city in the world and, having visited it twice, I can't wait to go back a third time. You never run out of interesting things to do and I can spend hours in awe of the skyscrapers and the wide range of architecture. Best building on Earth:

I know I live in Mondrian and not Hudson Park, but you can't argue with the beauty of a nice art deco building (HP included).

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 5:56 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille Sabords View Post
Sounds like an awesome trip. I'v been myself several times and always get a charge out of New York. Any pictures?
Why, yes!

Unfortunately, they're huge and I don't know how to shrink them down. They're on my facebook account and I enabled it so that everyone can see them.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 5:54 PM

God, I love NYC. Been there twice now, and I'm really considering just moving there for something like 4-months in the summer (so I don't have to worry about Visa or other implications), but I need to find a buddy to come with me.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 5:16 AM

hey Jamaican-Phoenix...what hotel did you stay at? im going to New York in May and was booking a hotel soon. Looking for something decent.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 5:29 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post
hey Jamaican-Phoenix...what hotel did you stay at? im going to New York in May and was booking a hotel soon. Looking for something decent.
Our group of students was split between two hotels. Most stayed in the Holiday Inn Express on 29th between 7th and 8th Avenue. I however, stayed at the Hampton Inn which is 116 West 31st Street. Lots of complementary things and their free breakfast ain't bad.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
Our group of students was split between two hotels. Most stayed in the Holiday Inn Express on 29th between 7th and 8th Avenue. I however, stayed at the Hampton Inn which is 116 West 31st Street. Lots of complementary things and their free breakfast ain't bad.
Hey, did you go with uOttawa? I was thinking of going too.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2010, 7:01 PM

new york

The oldest skyscrapers in NYC are the best, we looked up a few from the early 1900's and went inside. Well worth it.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 3:39 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
Hey, did you go with uOttawa? I was thinking of going too.

Yep. It's worth it. Fairly cheap and you can get a lot done.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 2:52 PM
Mooderator

ahhh New York.. you never forget your first time. what a city.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 5:19 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
ahhh New York.. you never forget your first time. what a city.
What a city indeed. I was also surprised how well I fit in. I was asked for help and gave directions more often than I myself needed them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion