HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 9:43 PM

When will contruction start on the Loyola streetcar line?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 11:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by victortulane View Post
When will contruction start on the Loyola streetcar line?
They are saying June right now!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:46 AM
-

New Projects:

Louisiana Pension Resort Renovation
Dodge Report #201100473554 v. 1

Valuation: $4,000,000
Bid Date: Apr 19, 2011

Orleans Louisiana Hotel/Motel Construction Project
Project Type: Hotel/Motel
Stage: GC Bidding-Invitation
Ownership: Private See More Like This
Type of Work: Alterations
Number of Buildings: 1
Building Frame: Structural Steel
Square Footage: 4,000
Number of Stories: 2

Administration/Inmate Processing/Detention Housing
Dodge Report #200900705216 v. 23

Valuation: $130,000,000
Bid Date: Apr 28, 2011

Orleans Louisiana Prison/Jail Construction Project
Project Type: Office, Prison/Jail
Stage: GC Bidding
Ownership: Public See More Like This
Type of Work: New Project
Number of Buildings: 1
Building Frame: Structural Steel
Square Footage: 419,800
Number of Stories: 9
Architect: Listed
Contractor: Not Listed
Designer: Not Listed
Publish Date: Apr 8, 2011

Also saw that a delicatessen/fresh food store is moving into the bottom of HRIs new mixed income building at the corner of Rampart and Esplanade... that project has turned out really well.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:22 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
I agree... I actually think the change in these neighborhoods will be quite dramatic and the change in Freret tells me these smaller comemrcial corridors are perfect for renewal. Rampart/ St Claude will need to become more pedestrian friendly. I had heard the plan for Rampart was to change it to one lane and a bike lane and that parking on the street would be changed to angular parking... seemed like good ideas to me!
I really hope not. Putting a bike lane next to angular parking is a huge safety hazard - drivers pulling out can't see approaching bikes, because their mirrors are pointed diagonally.

That is, unless the angular parking goes on the left side of the travel lane (i.e. in the neutral ground, sorta like Harrison in Lakeview).

You could also put the bike lane between the parking and the sidewalk - called a "cycle track" or "buffered bike lane". If the city builds one of these, they'll really be on the cutting edge... so far, only a handful of cities in the US have them, and most of those are hippie-liberal college towns like Boulder and Tucson.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:36 PM

Bikes / Rampart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I really hope not. Putting a bike lane next to angular parking is a huge safety hazard - drivers pulling out can't see approaching bikes, because their mirrors are pointed diagonally.

That is, unless the angular parking goes on the left side of the travel lane (i.e. in the neutral ground, sorta like Harrison in Lakeview).

You could also put the bike lane between the parking and the sidewalk - called a "cycle track" or "buffered bike lane". If the city builds one of these, they'll really be on the cutting edge... so far, only a handful of cities in the US have them, and most of those are hippie-liberal college towns like Boulder and Tucson.
Can't put the parking on the neutral ground side because the streetcar will be running in that lane. I don't see how /why they would narrow Rampart to one lane which would also have the streetcar on it. Imagine how much hell it would be to be stuck behind the damned thing as it's picking up / dropping off 50 people at every stop.

That "cycle track" thing sounds freaaaaaaking awesome though. No concerns about getting hit by a car but you'd have to be careful with pedestrians not paying attention to cross from the sidewalk to their parked cars.

Quick story: My friend was leaving downtown on magazine during rush hour (in a car) and the woman in front of her was yelling and cursing at a cyclist, who was IN THE BIKE LANE, about how the cyclist needs to get the hell out of there, he's blocking traffic, yadda yadda.

Pretty nuts if you ask me...she was so bewildered by it she called me to tell me. That was just a few months ago.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 2:45 PM

I really hate people like that...the only thing I get mad at while driving is if I'm in the CBD or French Quarter and a bunch of people try and cross the street when they don't have a cross signal and I have a green light or just arbitrarily walk in the street because they think this is Disney World. I HATE THAT.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 3:22 PM

Healing Center of New Orleans on St. Claude

Before (the old Universal Furniture):

After:

Amazing transformation. I love the purple building on the corner.
Read all about it here:
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ure_store.html

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I really hate people like that...the only thing I get mad at while driving is if I'm in the CBD or French Quarter and a bunch of people try and cross the street when they don't have a cross signal and I have a green light or just arbitrarily walk in the street because they think this is Disney World. I HATE THAT.
That is a huge pet peeve of mine too, its like some people forget common sense when they come here... Just cause its New Orleans doesnt mean traffic signals are just a suggestion!

Took a couple picture nothing special though:

[IMG]http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/61709685@N06/5614129268/][/url][/IMG]

[IMG]http://[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/61709685@N06/5614127216/][/url][/IMG]

OK im having some trouble posting pictures without all the text around it? What am I doing wrong here?

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 12, 2011 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 9:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by camkazaam View Post
Before (the old Universal Furniture):

After:

Amazing transformation. I love the purple building on the corner.
Read all about it here:
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ure_store.html
How did they cover the purple building ?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
I don't see how /why they would narrow Rampart to one lane which would also have the streetcar on it. Imagine how much hell it would be to be stuck behind the damned thing as it's picking up / dropping off 50 people at every stop.
I think you misunderstood the reason for reducing the street by one lane. It would restore Rampart to its original size in order to place streetcar tracks BACK on the neutral ground. Cars wouldn't be competing with streetcars.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
I think you misunderstood the reason for reducing the street by one lane. It would restore Rampart to its original size in order to place streetcar tracks BACK on the neutral ground. Cars wouldn't be competing with streetcars.
exactly, the main point is the street needs to become more pedestrian friendly if it is to have any chance of reaching its full potential.. Freret street, Magazine etc none of these streets are even close to how wide Rampart is. Sam reason Loyola has always had trouble... its too wide!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 10:36 PM
TL;DR

The problem with running the streetcars in the neutral ground is that drivers will perch there while waiting to turn left or go straight across. That blocks the streetcar. If you run the streetcar in mixed traffic, the drivers can't really perch; they have to wait for both directions to clear. The only real solution is to close off each crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
That "cycle track" thing sounds freaaaaaaking awesome though. No concerns about getting hit by a car but you'd have to be careful with pedestrians not paying attention to cross from the sidewalk to their parked cars.
Pedestrians in the CBD aren't the smartest tools in the shed, but they still don't have several tons of steel blocking their view. Plus, there aren't too many tourists on Rampart anyway.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 5:46 AM

[QUOTE/]OK im having some trouble posting pictures without all the text around it? What am I doing wrong here?[/QUOTE]

not sure... is that first picture the new downtown rouses site?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 12:58 PM

WWII Museum expansion update

This report on the WWII Museum expansion also mentions the Poeyfarre Market, an opening date for the market, and some brief shots of its renovation.

http://www.wwltv.com/video?id=119569074&sec=554497

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:03 PM

Rampart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
Gotcha...that makes sense.

Any historic pictures of Rampart the way it used to be? I didn't know it used to be that way.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:05 PM

Curbed is hiring for a new NOLA site:

That drumbeat you hear? Our armies, scouring lands far and near for open positions within Curbed Network. At present, we're hiring an editor for the forthcoming Curbed Dallas, Curbed New Orleans, and Curbed Atlanta—just for fun, we're loosely terming this spree "Curbed's Southern Swing." Which means now is the time for editors who will make the magic happen to step forward onto the dancefloor.

For all three cities: we're looking for local residents in the Dallas, New Orleans, and Atlanta areas who have mainlined into the soul of their city's real estate and neighborhoods universe. This is a freelance gig with commensurate pay; you'll be able to work from anywhere you want so long as it keeps your ear close to ground for all things industry-related. If you think you fit the bill, drop an email to jobs@curbed.com with a brief description about yourself and a paragraph or two about why you're interested. If you've got a blog, please include a link to it as well. And if you consider yourself a foodie but would balk at ever using that word, please head over to Eater Nationalfor the description of the forthcoming Eater Atlanta, Dallas, and New Orleans.

Note for both: No resumes, please. If we like what we see, we'll be in touch quickly. Thanks.
http://curbed.com/archives/2011/04/1...d-dallas-1.php

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillardAlum View Post
This report on the WWII Museum expansion also mentions the Poeyfarre Market, an opening date for the market, and some brief shots of its renovation.

http://www.wwltv.com/video?id=119569074&sec=554497
nice video...thanks for the update.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 5:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
That drumbeat you hear? Our armies, scouring lands far and near for open positions within Curbed Network. At present, we're hiring an editor for the forthcoming Curbed Dallas, Curbed New Orleans, and Curbed Atlanta—just for fun, we're loosely terming this spree "Curbed's Southern Swing." Which means now is the time for editors who will make the magic happen to step forward onto the dancefloor.

For all three cities: we're looking for local residents in the Dallas, New Orleans, and Atlanta areas who have mainlined into the soul of their city's real estate and neighborhoods universe. This is a freelance gig with commensurate pay; you'll be able to work from anywhere you want so long as it keeps your ear close to ground for all things industry-related. If you think you fit the bill, drop an email to jobs@curbed.com with a brief description about yourself and a paragraph or two about why you're interested. If you've got a blog, please include a link to it as well. And if you consider yourself a foodie but would balk at ever using that word, please head over to Eater Nationalfor the description of the forthcoming Eater Atlanta, Dallas, and New Orleans.

Note for both: No resumes, please. If we like what we see, we'll be in touch quickly. Thanks.
http://curbed.com/archives/2011/04/1...d-dallas-1.php
Love Curbed.. if I had more time Id apply...anyone here interested in applying?

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 13, 2011 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:48 PM

Baronne and Poydras

Anyone heard anything about any projects on this corner?

The old run down sign store, Moms Sno balls and cheap nail place have all closed in the last two weeks. Moms moved to a building on St Charles and now the building has large Gibbs construction signs on it.

It is a great corner and surrounded by the Civic Lofts and 930 Poydras- maybe somebody got the hint?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:56 PM

West End

It seems the Corps of Engineers is definitely making Coconut Beach move it's location, with that in mind, I think this is a great time to push for the Regional Planning Commission's masterplan for West End:

http://www.norpc.org/assets/pdf-docu...nd-phs2_ma.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations