HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 1:52 PM

Continental Might Actually Build Something, but Maybe Not

Residential? In this market? With direct access to the T and in a prime location? The chance to prop up basic principles of critical mass and population before location? Nah. Let's build another POS three story, bland office building! Now I'd be remiss to not mention that the article uses the word "major" to describe the project...but after 15 years of dawdling, I'm positive Continental has absolutely no grasp on what a "major" vision would be. Unless Tequilla Cowboy and Bar Louie are their ambition's apex.

I also know that SAP is not primarily interested in this sight, as their talks are aimed in another of our favorite, bland, non-starting proposed developments.

Good job, sports teams.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 11:10 AM
Hell with the Lid Off.

It seems even if they build an office building it still leaves an option to build a residential development on Mazeroski Way. It won't be river front but no doubt continental is keeping that prime parcel to entice an anchor tenant. I would think any condo developer looking to build in the city would love that location. I just hope whatever they build it looks better than the bland meh which is currently adorning the north shore. I'm not optimistic.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:47 PM

There will be a Planning Commission presentation coming online later today, but some other things of note.

From latest zoning report:

1. This building in Uptown (technically West Oakland) is scheduled to be rehabbed. It will include some residential component.

2. This North Oakland building is requested to be changed from its current six units to 14. Hopefully they'll keep the first-floor retail. It would be a shame to not utilize a historic storefront on Centre Avenue.

Also, it's behind the paywall, but Pittsburgh Business Times is reporting that Brooklyn developers Crow Hill are planning on converting three buildings with 122,000 square feet of space which are part of the Heinz complex into 125 apartments.

Last edited by eschaton; Sep 29, 2016 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

2. This North Oakland building is requested to be changed from its current six units to 14. Hopefully they'll keep the first-floor retail. It would be a shame to not utilize a historic storefront on Centre Avenue.

Interestingly enough if you don't know where this is, check out its proximity to the Park7 Empire project, I circled Mitchell's in red:

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwho View Post
Interestingly enough if you don't know where this is, check out its proximity to the Park7 Empire project, I circled Mitchell's in red:
Yes, I realized that. That's one reason why I think it would be dumb to convert the first floor of that building to residential. The retail demand along that portion of Centre is only going to rise.

My ideal outcome would be if nearby Tamarind moved into that building. I love that place, but the converted house it's located inside is located in a very awkward place which almost assuredly will result in development pressures in the future.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFW523 View Post
Continental Might Actually Build Something, but Maybe Not

Residential? In this market? With direct access to the T and in a prime location? The chance to prop up basic principles of critical mass and population before location? Nah. Let's build another POS three story, bland office building! Now I'd be remiss to not mention that the article uses the word "major" to describe the project...but after 15 years of dawdling, I'm positive Continental has absolutely no grasp on what a "major" vision would be. Unless Tequilla Cowboy and Bar Louie are their ambition's apex.

I also know that SAP is not primarily interested in this sight, as their talks are aimed in another of our favorite, bland, non-starting proposed developments.

Good job, sports teams.
It's a shame what Continental is doing with such prime land along the river. I hope they decide to go residential for that parcel of land.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 7:58 PM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:16 AM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This building in Uptown (technically West Oakland) is scheduled to be rehabbed. It will include some residential component.
That could be cool. It is a pretty neat building in an important "gateway" location

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
The first floor is currently occupied by a dive bar called Mitchell's Tavern. The zoning document lists the owner of the property as Mitchell Dean. So it seems likely the proprietor of the downstairs business also owns the building. In that case, I would bet the ground floor will remain Mitchell's tavern if anything.
As a patron I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 4:13 PM

New Planning presentation. Very behind schedule this week. It's usually posted Thursday afternoon, but there's very little new business...none if you're talking about new construction projects.

What is there? First, there are three "redevelopment area certifications" for Deutschtown (actually including Spring Garden), the Hill District, and the Murray/Forward intersection in Squirrel Hill. These are dealt with in one powerpoint by an outside firm the URA contracted with. Essentially it examines the physical condition and road layout of the existing areas to see if they qualify as blighted under PA law. I'm unclear what defining these areas as blighted actually gains the city/URA, but my reading of state law is official certification of these areas as blighted will allow for "urban renewal" in a more comprehensive manner to take place, which would include but not be limited to demolition of abandoned properties the city/URA has been unable to purchase or seize due to nonpayment of taxes. As a second step before any such "urban renewal" plans, there would have to be a redevelopment plan which was passed, so it's not like any of these historic properties are meeting the wrecking ball yet. I find the use of the old "urban renewal" laws still on the books troubling, but I'm willing to withhold judgement for now.

There are also proposed expansions of three permit parking areas, in Bloomfield, South Side Flats, and Shadyside. The Bloomfield and South Side Flats expansions are very small (a small street and a block) but the Shadyside one is a bit more substantial (four blocks of Howe and two pocks of Kentucky)

Last edited by eschaton; Sep 30, 2016 at 5:09 PM. Reason: Complete rewrite...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 5:19 PM

The 172 and 383 page 2017 pittsburgh capital and operating budgets are out.
http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/mayorpe...tal_Budget.pdf
http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/mayorpe...ing_Budget.pdf

Over on the bikepgr.org message board there is some interesting discussion of bike related line-items and projects. Here is some of what they're discussing.

$3M -- mon warf switchback connection
$200K -- thermo-plastic bike/ped paint line-item in the pavement budget
$380K -- bike infrastructure
$550K --Washington and Allegheny River Boulevard Multimodal Path
$300K -- Trolley Trail Phase 2, West End
$130K -- Emerald View Park: Fort Pitt Tunnel Trail Connection

And other infrastructure projects to note:
* Replacement of a bridge in West Ohio St/Ridge Ave (2017)
* Reconstruction of Smithfield St from Forbes to 6th Ave (2017-2020)
* Replacement of the Swinburne Bridge (2017-2022)
* Penn Ave work from Graham St to Evaline St (2017-2019, with the bulk of the work in 2019)
* Reconstruction of the South Negley bridge over the Busway (2018-2019)
* Replacement of the Charles Anderson Bridge, which carries BOTA from Oakland into Schenley Park. It appears it’s coming down in 2020, and the city will spend a cool $37.6 million to replace it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 5:36 PM

Green First City-Wide Stormwater Assessment
http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/mayorpe...esentation.pdf

This is dated 09/26/16 and is on the pittsburgh website. Not sure who is responsible though or how much weight this carries. The slides are all stamped PGH2o.

It looks like pie in the sky proposals as apposed to green-lit projects. For example, it shows the junction hollow stream restored all the way to the Mon. That includes wetlands replacing the UPMC parking lot off of 2nd avenue near the end of the jail trail.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
It looks like pie in the sky proposals as apposed to green-lit projects. For example, it shows the junction hollow stream restored all the way to the Mon. That includes wetlands replacing the UPMC parking lot off of 2nd avenue near the end of the jail trail.
Of course they are going to need pretty bold (and expensive) action to get into legal compliance.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 11:41 AM
Northsider

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 1:07 PM

Quote:
In 2019, the plan calls for extending East Ohio Street through the plaza in front of the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh and the New Hazlett Theater to join with West Ohio Street. That would restore part of the street plan that existed before the center was built in the mid-1960s and better connect the complex with the East Ohio Street business district.
Nice! In my ideal world they would re-connect Federal too, but I understand that is unlikely to happen now. Still, reconnecting Ohio would be a good start.

Edit: Oh, and I wonder if they could at least connect Federal to Ohio from the north.

Last edited by BrianTH; Oct 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 1:16 PM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Nice! In my ideal world they would re-connect Federal too, but I understand that is unlikely to happen now. Still, reconnecting Ohio would be a good start.
Already seeing opposition to reconnecting Ohio on local neighborhood Facebook groups in reaction to this story.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Already seeing opposition to reconnecting Ohio on local neighborhood Facebook groups in reaction to this story.
Good lord--why?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 4:46 PM

I'm really hoping this starts in the spring, that is such an unattractive place to be around. It would be fantastic to get eliminate as much of this 50 year old mistake as possible.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 1:50 PM

It's All About the Execution

Although McCafferey is saying all the right things here, so I'm optimistic. It's been repeated on here for years (another Brian championed plea) but the concept of Smallman has to change, for that area to realize it's potential. Currently it's about as wide as a 8 lane highway and there is just too much clusterf$%#. Would love to see a concept drawing with all the pieces put together.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFW523 View Post
Would love to see a concept drawing with all the pieces put together.
Me too!

Quote:
Work is expected to include new sidewalks, traffic signals, and crossings to enhance safety as well as a Market Square-like public plaza near St. Stanislaus Kostka Church. . . . Mr. McCaffery said the improvements are critical to the success of the redevelopments. “We’ve got to have places that are safe for people to walk,” he said. “You can’t do anything unless you improve the street.” At the same time, he sees the potential for that section of Smallman to become “a world-class grand boulevard through a historic area.” “It will be a new street but a street that echoes back to the history of the city. It’s still going to be lined with historic buildings. I think it’s going to be just fantastic.”
That is indeed the concept I have long hoped for--now get it done! (and do it well!)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations