HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 4:41 AM

Why thank you kindly Rico. I had a good day yesterday getting some shots around town - one for now:

[IMG]Yates near Broad Street - Sunday, February 4, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 7:16 PM

Cherry blossoms poking out already. Love it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 8:55 PM

As always, gorgeous pics of Victoria from you zoomer.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2024, 11:48 PM
Look at me!

I strolled through the UdM campus again the other day. I just love Cormier's art deco building. from afar it looks sleek, modern and featureless, but from up close you really can tell these bricks are almost 100 years old.

DSC00049 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

IMG_20240121_133651~2 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00055 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00026 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00016 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC09983 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC09984 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC09990 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00003 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00004 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC09977 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00028 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00037 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00041 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00017 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

DSC00035 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:42 AM

Gorgeous pics of UDM Rico. Such a gem!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 1:09 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Oh I didn't even know it was made of brick. Somehow I thought it was concrete.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 2:54 AM

Thanks Davidivivid for the kind words. I agree with Nouvellecosse, from a distance you'd never know there are a million bricks in UDM! Love that last shot and tall he detailed views of a great building.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 3:47 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Great set of images!
Here's something I took last week, taking advantage of what was at the time a rare, once in a blue moon phenomena for us, a blue, clear sky day.,
Sunny Monday by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr
Sunny Monday by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 4:04 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Some downtown Vancouver street scenes from Granville to Davie St.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 6:44 AM

Hey GeneralLeePHLS - love your first shot of blue sky TO, so many shades of blue being reflected in the glass.

Giallo that's a killer Vancouver set! I have to sleep on it and look at them on a big screen tomorrow after I hit Zoomer's Dispensary...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 7:19 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Giallo that's a killer Vancouver set! I have to sleep on it and look at them on a big screen tomorrow after I hit Zoomer's Dispensary...
Thanks, and I didn't even clue into the Zoomer shout out I did in that one photo. I have been into that dispensary before. I was curious as to the layout of the place, and how they packaged the mushrooms. Lots of chocolates and drinks for sale.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 7:35 PM

Cool, although can’t say I’d be interested in their products as everyday life seems fun enough.

All fantastic photos giallo - you really pulled out some interesting colour contrasts, with nice deep shiny blacks and great clarity/context. Good inspiration for me to keep learning/improving that’s for sure. Love this one below - the blackness of the building, a bit of mystery, interesting characters and a development proposal to boot!

van in february -17 by Andrew Rochfort, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 15, 2024, 12:07 AM

Some early February pics from Victoria:

Central Building and Irish Times. February 4, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Broughton at Government Street, Sunday February 4, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Belmont Building - Sunday February 4, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

A fancy car - Sunday, February 4, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

A fancy car - Sunday, February 4, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Douglas Street - Victoria. Sunday, February 4, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Garrick’s Head Pub - Sunday, February 4, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Former Law Courts and Maritime Museum - February 4, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

500 Block of Yates - February 4, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Dallas Road Beach - February 6, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Redfern Street - Victoria. February 7, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr
[/url]Redfern Street - Victoria. February 7, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

View Street - February 7, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Oak Bay Junction - February 7, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Wentworth Villa - February 9, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

The Savoy - Victoria. February 9, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Fungi Reflections - February 9, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

James Bay House and Mini-Library, February 9, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Victoria BC - February 9, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

St. Anne’s Academy - February 9, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Victoria BC - February 9, 2024. by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Oak Bay Home - February 13, 2024 by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Glenlyon-Norfolk School - Oak Bay by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 6:41 PM
Urban Fanactic

Some pictures from my trip to Montreal last October.

pics by me.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2024, 7:05 PM

Zoomer those Victoria photos are chef's kiss, perfection! And you captured so many more areas than usual, not just downtown. I gasped when I saw the girls swimming casually in the ocean! Yes it creates a fun image to play up the mildness in Victoria compared to the rest of the country, but it ain't THAT mild lol, nowhere in Canada is comfortable for being outside without clothes in early February, let alone going for a dip in the ocean. And they look so nonchalant in the picture, not like they were running in on a dare, and then immediately out. The shorts in winter thing is one thing, it's so common in Vancouver too, but getting in the water?!

Some of the historic apartments buildings look a bit run down (photos 6 and 7 in the set). I hope the owners of these buildings keep them up, they are such gems. The historic building stock is so rich in downtown Vic, these kinds of buildings must be kept up. Or maybe they are kept up, and the photos are misleading? Victoria is very lucky to have a thriving downtown, it needs to ensure it doesn't fall into negligence. There's many American towers or cities with amazing historic building stock downtown, but the towns are just dead and emptying. So sad, keeping downtown cores vibrant is a MUST for a place to succeed

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 4:10 AM

Dwils01 - great shot of the Aldred building in Montreal, no doubt a top 5 skyscraper in Canada.

Made me think of an art deco inspired project in Vancouver at 1400 Alberni Street. Does anyone know if this is proceeding or not?

source

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Zoomer those Victoria photos are chef's kiss, perfection! And you captured so many more areas than usual, not just downtown. I gasped when I saw the girls swimming casually in the ocean! Yes it creates a fun image to play up the mildness in Victoria compared to the rest of the country, but it ain't THAT mild lol, nowhere in Canada is comfortable for being outside without clothes in early February, let alone going for a dip in the ocean. And they look so nonchalant in the picture, not like they were running in on a dare, and then immediately out. The shorts in winter thing is one thing, it's so common in Vancouver too, but getting in the water?!

Some of the historic apartments buildings look a bit run down (photos 6 and 7 in the set). I hope the owners of these buildings keep them up, they are such gems. The historic building stock is so rich in downtown Vic, these kinds of buildings must be kept up. Or maybe they are kept up, and the photos are misleading? Victoria is very lucky to have a thriving downtown, it needs to ensure it doesn't fall into negligence. There's many American towers or cities with amazing historic building stock downtown, but the towns are just dead and emptying. So sad, keeping downtown cores vibrant is a MUST for a place to succeed
Thanks for the feedback - keeps me motivated to take more pics

I had to look back to see what the temperature was that day - a high of 10 C on February 6, so warmish in the sun, but not in the ocean! But you're right - they were so casual and hanging out, swimming around, who says girls aren't tough! It's a growing health/commitement trend (fad) to swim in the ocean on a daily basis year round. I mean some old European folks have been doing it for decades, but it's really taken off with the 20 to 40 year old crowd here. And by taken off, not really widespread, but at any beach at pretty much any time of day you'll find people going for a swim. I waited around for five minutes for them to get out of the water to get a more interesting photo, but alas they did not, and it was time for me to move on for new photo ops.

As for the buildings downtown at Douglas and Yates, yes they are a bit run down and it's been that way for decades. That block along Douglas and also along Yates. I mean they're not falling down or in terrible condition but if this continues for another decade or two they might be hard to restore. And maybe that's the intention of the owners or perhaps they're just not in a financial position to invest massive amounts of money for restoration/earthquake proofing especially when they'll not likely be able to add much new rental/for sale apartments. Financially it's tough, especially since Covid and now escalating costs. There was a proposal a couple years back for the Morgan Block (the building to the right) but that seems to have stalled:

But there have been many recent historical restorations and several are underway, although many can be accused of facadism. It's tough as you know with property/construction costs on the west coast especially when you have to factor in building to earthquake standards.

The building in the middle below is currently having it's interior stripped and will be combined with two new builds on either side to form a new Hyatt Centric hotel downtown. Ironically it's directly behind the buildings pictured above on Broad street.

source

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 1:58 PM

Thanks Zoomer for the background on those buildings. And you're right, there's usually very little financial incentive to fix places like that up, based purely on free market economics. Fixing them up would either be a labour of love (ie. a landlord who had a passion for heritage restorations) or if it was mandate by the city. I am not normally a fan of excessive city over reach, but when it comes to heritage (and especially in BC where there is not a lot of heritage to begin with), the city should have a program for keeping these buildings up. You are probably right that the landlord isn't doing any repairs in order to demolish it in the future. These should absolutely be protected! Victoria is doing a lot of heritage conservation, facade-ism or not, it's better than demolition.

Victoria as city and destination get some pretty serious accolades. I just found out it was voted World's Best City in the Conde Nast Traveller awards (the awards are in two categories, small and large, Victoria was #1 in the small category. The rest of the top 10:

10. Dubrovnik, Croatia
9. Reykjavik, Iceland
8. Bruges, Belgium
7. Porto, Portugal
6. San Juan, Puerto Rico
5. Antigua de Guatemala, Guatemala
4. Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
3. San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
2. San Sebastian, Spain
1. Victoria, Canada

It's not insignificant to get this recognition, Vancouver and Whistler usually take the glory and attention in these rankings, so it's a real coup. I sure hope the city leadership keep it going

Those awards are quite prestigious in travel circles and trusted by well healed tourists, they aren't just some random survey on Facebook.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 2:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A walking tour of downtown Moncton by SSP member MaritimerJAB.

Video Link

This video nicely shows the current bones of downtown, focusing on Main Street. By 2030, there should be another six highrises in the core ranging from 15-30 storeys in height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada