HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Central South East False Creek in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
This was discussed when the project went through the UDP, including input from Onni's Beau Jarvis, Bruce Haden the architect, and the project's structural engineers. A column-free design was indeed the preferred design and the genesis of the project concept. The orientation of the project maximizes the number of units with west and northwest facing views while simultaneously maximizing privacy of the units from overlook. The diagonal placement of the 'bridge' element creates northwest facing views for all of the bridge units on the north side. It's also important to note the site is rectangular, with the thin edge facing False Creek, unlike the Toronto project where there is three to four times the width facing the water. An alternative placement where Central's slabs would be located on the north and south side of the site with the bridge slung east-west would have created a more narrow separation between the two slabs, greater overlook into the units from the office building and from adjacent residential buildings, and the shorter (length wise) bridge would have contained fewer units skewing the pro-forma. Were the bridge to be widened to retain the same floor space and unit count, it would have resulted in far less efficient, deeper units and a more overbearing tabletop-like bridge.

Regarding the presence of columns, they were randomly spaced in the design when it came through the UDP, as opposed to being in two neat rows. An angled arrangement of 'chopsticks in a cup' column placement was discussed as the design team's preferred column solution, but it was unachievable due to the inefficiency it would have introduced to the parking structure levels and the negative impact on the project's proforma due to complexity of construction. As to why a true bridge were not pursued, it was due to cost and site constraints. The price point of the building (residential units and commercial lease rates) and the additional structure in the slab podiums to carry the weight of the bridge did not warrant Onni pursuing a steel-frame bridge section. A thick concrete transfer slab would have allowed a free-floating bridge but that would require the forfeiture of a level of residential in the bridge to remain within the site's zoned height limit and significant additional load-bearing structure would have been required inside the slab podiums reducing their floor space through inefficiency. The building with columns reaches the very limit of the already-raised height regulations for Southeast False Creek and it's worth noting that no view cones regulations apply; height limits and view cones regulations are not synonymous. The project could have redistributed the density lost to structure from the bridge and slab podiums to other locations, but this would have led to deeper, less efficient and desirable residential units in the residential slab podium and additional office space in the office slab podium, which presumably their proforma didn't support, and a wider bridge with deeper, less efficient units in the bridge, the extra weight of which would have required even more load-bearing structure in the podiums.

The columns were the only way that the building would work within its pro-forma while adhering as close as possible to its design intent. For what it's worth, the land value of the Toronto Project was likely far less per square foot than what Onni paid for its SEFC site, and the Toronto neighbourhood where it's located is what I would charitably call desolate. The next door neighbour to the site is this listing, healthcode-closed, seasick-inducing fish and chips restaurant: http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/t...arge.promo.jpg
I just want to parrot NewWester - thank you for the insightful, well-written post. It sounds like Onni had very good reasons for going down the design route they did; I only fault them for the clunky transition where the bridge's transfer slab connects with the residential block. Without the nasty step down, the bridge would still have cut a clean profile. That being said, unlike other posters, I'm happy the project went ahead as-is: the SEFC formula of 15-storey tower with a 5-storey streetwall podium is already getting tiresome, and Central presents a break from it when viewed from any given angle.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:10 PM
Reason and Freedom

A night shot from Flickr:

Photo by Jerry Meaden: https://www.flickr.com/photos/sworld...n/photostream/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2014, 1:53 PM

that looks very nice, especially with the "extra" column hidden

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 3:56 AM

Now that this building is basically done and I've lived with it in the scenery for a while I gotta say this building is incredibly bad. The city really screwed up by approving this design.

I can't think of a worse building in Vancouver.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2015, 8:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukmuk64 View Post
Now that this building is basically done and I've lived with it in the scenery for a while I gotta say this building is incredibly bad. The city really screwed up by approving this design.

Noticed on MLS there are so many listings for sale. 1 bedrooms at 600,000 listed since the summer and no price drop. Crazy! they will have to drop another 100,000 in order to sell, soon they will lose their view with the Concert False creek when that gets built out. Also, they will probably never sell the top floor under the skybridge overlooking canada customs. No direct sunlight, it's like living in a tunnel. yuck!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver604 View Post
Noticed on MLS there are so many listings for sale. 1 bedrooms at 600,000 listed since the summer and no price drop. Crazy! they will have to drop another 100,000 in order to sell, soon they will lose their view with the Concert False creek when that gets built out. Also, they will probably never sell the top floor under the skybridge overlooking canada customs. No direct sunlight, it's like living in a tunnel. yuck!
I was looking at this building on the BC Assessment site a month ago. At that time, it looked like one (or a handful) of investors purchased most of the units currently on sale. Compared to the current assessment, they did get it at a profitable purchase price, assuming the assessment price reflects a fair market price. I am assuming this individual(s) is now try to unload their entire holding in the building

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukmuk64 View Post

I couldn't agree more. Just a complete mess.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 12:33 AM

I think the building is great

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I think the building is great
Me too. Went there (had to go to the Nexus office), it was pouring rain and we stayed a bit to chat and relax under the bridge, near the water: I was impressed, friends who came with me too.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 2:39 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't mind the building at all, just wish they'd clad the columns in the metal sheeting that was in the renders, or at least the damn faux tree trunks.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds88 View Post
I was looking at this building on the BC Assessment site a month ago. At that time, it looked like one (or a handful) of investors purchased most of the units currently on sale. Compared to the current assessment, they did get it at a profitable purchase price, assuming the assessment price reflects a fair market price. I am assuming this individual(s) is now try to unload their entire holding in the building
the assessed value is about 25% higher. bc assessment confirmed that it was higher than what it should be so i doubt the investors will get what they are asking for.

been living here for over 2 months now. i must say the standard single bed floor plan is much better than any of the surrounding buildings and the view from the skybridge is amazing. being so close to the skytrain is great, i dont even need to use my car any more. can't wait for summer to see how the space under the bridge will be used.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxstock View Post
the assessed value is about 25% higher. bc assessment confirmed that it was higher than what it should be so i doubt the investors will get what they are asking for.

been living here for over 2 months now. i must say the standard single bed floor plan is much better than any of the surrounding buildings and the view from the skybridge is amazing. being so close to the skytrain is great, i dont even need to use my car any more. can't wait for summer to see how the space under the bridge will be used.
You are on the skybridge? Let's get some pics of the view.

How do you like McDonald's being right in front? Is there a lot of foot traffic trickling over? The space under the bridge would be the perfect place of random people to loiter and eat their burger

I don't mind the building, but do agree that it should have had the metal cladding on the columns. Wonder why they didn't do it (cheaped out?) I like how it is close to the skytrain, but I'm not a fan of being in the middle of two busy streets (quebec and main). How's the traffic noise like?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds88 View Post
You are on the skybridge? Let's get some pics of the view.

How do you like McDonald's being right in front? Is there a lot of foot traffic trickling over? The space under the bridge would be the perfect place of random people to loiter and eat their burger

I don't mind the building, but do agree that it should have had the metal cladding on the columns. Wonder why they didn't do it (cheaped out?) I like how it is close to the skytrain, but I'm not a fan of being in the middle of two busy streets (quebec and main). How's the traffic noise like?
not much foot traffic from mcdonalds (if any) since most comes from the skytrain side or by car/drive thru. it's some distance to walk around since it's fenced and there's plenty of space inside and outside of the mcd.

no road noise since i haven't had the windows open much but at the skybridge height and the traffic being slower with the intersections, I don't expect it to be bothersome.

maybe because I walk by those columns up close everyday, they look fine the way they are to me. others viewing the building probably give it more attention

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamo View Post
Me too. Went there (had to go to the Nexus office), it was pouring rain and we stayed a bit to chat and relax under the bridge, near the water: I was impressed, friends who came with me too.
That's probably the only nice thing about the development (the little covered area by the waterfall (but that's it). The inside looks a bit shoddy, there's a long long hallway with a bunch of units on the skybridge (what they call it) and there are tons of settlement cracks in the ceilings.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 5:59 PM

Not a fan of this building, but hey to each their own.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:07 AM
A hole being Doug

In case it has not been mentioned by word or photograph, there is a water feature underneath the span of this building.

It's a big square pond/fountain, with wooden walkways criss-crossing and benches surrounding

It would still be better with some simple swings made of rope and planks.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:09 AM

I didn't know what to expect when I went to check out Central up close from the ground but I was pleasantly surprised.

Here is what you'll see if you check out the bright and airy inner courtyard. It's a quiet and peaceful sanctuary away from the noise of Main and Quebec Streets. A lot of pics but there are so many angles and surfaces and ways to look at it. And yet it's a relatively simple design.

March 30 '15, all my pics

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:13 AM

Great pictures, thanks!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:51 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Those are good angles, and the courtyard does look really nice.
Hopefully whatever building goes in the adjacent property also helps close in that side sympathetically, as the Mc Donald's parking lot and fence aren't great to have right next door.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 6:30 PM
victory in near

Nice! And it will look even nicer when those trees mature a bit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver