HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good girl. Bravo?

Why aren't paralympians at the Olympics (in their own categories) again?
Logistics mostly.

More realistically, why aren't the Paralymics done prior to the Olympics? They get to test the facilities as well as not getting swept under the rug once the actual Olympics are finished.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Logistics mostly.

More realistically, why aren't the Paralymics done prior to the Olympics? They get to test the facilities as well as not getting swept under the rug once the actual Olympics are finished.
I won't scream too loudly but it seems like borderline discrimination to me to have them apart like that.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon
Canadian Finals Rodeo moving from Edmonton to Saskatoon. That's a huge blow to Edmonton and a big win for Saskatoon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...year-1.3689374

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
Losing the CFR is actually a blessing for Edmonton as it allows the oilers Entertainment Group to bring in events like the PBR (annually) and UFC plus other events with a strong partnership with WME-IMG which will both be announced sometime in August.
I'm not sure how Professional Bull Riders would have to supersede Canadian Finals Rodeo that's been held in Edmonton since 1974, you would think they could just have both like Saskatoon.

Just means that now Saskatoon gets both the CFR plus also the PBR 2016 World Championship Qualifier in Saskatoon, SK.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2839535/ca...-to-saskatoon/

First the Rush Pro Lacrosse team's move to Saskatoon earlier this year and now this, sounds like Edmonton tax payers are losing out with new arena..

Old Posted Sep 15, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
IIRC, this is only our second gold ever.

Grats, girl!

We've come a long way - from questionable citizenship and last-place finishes lol:

http://m.thetelegram.com/Opinion/Col...the-Olympics/1
Woo! Hometown girl taking the gold!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
I'm not sure how Professional Bull Riders would have to supersede Canadian Finals Rodeo that's been held in Edmonton since 1974, you would think they could just have both like Saskatoon.

Just means that now Saskatoon gets both the CFR plus also the PBR 2016 World Championship Qualifier in Saskatoon, SK.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2839535/ca...-to-saskatoon/

First the Rush Pro Lacrosse team's move to Saskatoon earlier this year and now this, sounds like Edmonton tax payers are losing out with new arena..
The PBR world championship qualifier is to give a chance for Canadians on the Canadian PBR circuit to qualify for the big show. The PBR event in Edmonton is the big show with the top 20 in the world along with the top 10 on the Canadian circuit. It's also has the second largest purse in the world next to Vegas. All the bull riders at the Canadian finals rodeo will only be dreaming of even having a chance to compete for the big PBR money in Edmonton.
3+ billion in investments to the downtown core is hardly losing out.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
The PBR world championship qualifier is to give a chance for Canadians on the Canadian PBR circuit to qualify for the big show. The PBR event in Edmonton is the big show with the top 20 in the world along with the top 10 on the Canadian circuit. It's also has the second largest purse in the world next to Vegas. All the bull riders at the Canadian finals rodeo will only be dreaming of even having a chance to compete for the big PBR money in Edmonton.
3+ billion in investments to the downtown core is hardly losing out.
That sounds like an amazing accomplishment for Edmonton then!!..
Hopefully PBR in Edmonton can get support from the general public though, It could be an up hill battle with all the hard feelings from the bull riders judging from the reader's poll conducted by CTV Edmonton with the public that was actually interested in reading the story.

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/professio...2017-1.3013394

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Great (not so great) Moments in Canadian Sports History

The miracle that never was. I will always remember this team as the one that should have delivered the Miracle on Ice that the USA did in 1980. I still remember the fluke length of the ice goal versus Finland that killed the dream. This was the team of kids that initially exposed the Soviets planting doubt in their mind before the Americans were able to complete the job.

Haunted by Ghosts of 1980
Steve Simmons - Toronto Sun Mar 3, 2005

There was no movie made, no anniversary to celebrate, no miracle for them.

Twenty-five years later, they can view reminders of what could have been on the nightly news, rent them from their corner video store, hear about the Miracle On Ice again on radio.

Just not their miracle.

Everyone loves to relive the wondrous upset story of Lake Placid, but the Canadian Olympic hockey team of 1980 left behind a different kind of upset all its own.

"We had the better team. They had the better ending," Lorne Davis, one of the three Canadian coaches, recalled yesterday from Regina.

"We played them eight times before the Olympics, beat them five times. I don't think anybody remembers that.

"Do you?"

People don't remember much of anything about the 1980 team, except they happened to play bystander to history. They don't remember that twisted circumstances -- a fluky flip-shot goal from 100 feet and a rare hockey win by Holland -- pushed Canada to a disastrous sixth-place finish.

"I tell people all the time, I was with the miracle that didn't happen," said Ron Davidson, the crown attorney from Peterborough, who centred a line with Glenn Anderson and Jim Nill at the Olympics.

"For the longest time, I had to distance myself from (Lake Placid). I couldn't even bear to think about it. My picture was on the front page of The Globe and Mail after scoring a goal against the Russians. My parents took steps to buy it but I didn't want that picture. I didn't want any reminders at all."

For a team that went nowhere at the Games, individually the players went somewhere after Lake Placid. In all, 4,070 National Hockey League games were played by the 12 Team Canada members who would play at least one night in the big leagues. There would be 14 Stanley Cup celebrations.

The accomplishments away from the rink were even more impressive.

Davidson became a lawyer; Randy Gregg became a doctor; Stelio Zupancich became a banker. Paul Mac-Lean was a 30- and 40-goal scorer before becoming a successful coach. Anderson, one day, may be able to call himself a Hall of Fame member.

"It was an amazing group," said Nill, now the assistant general manager with the Detroit Red Wings. "Everybody has been successful. We're talking good people here. You don't think about it when you're going through it but you can see it 25 years later. We've had success -- just not the kind anyone talks about."

More than anyone, Bob Dupuis has had to live with the ghost of 1980. He was the goalie -- fresh from senior hockey of all places -- who didn't look to the stands to make eye contact with his father. He was the scapegoat who allowed a flip shot against Finland to deflate Canada's hopes.

"Looking back, and I've looked back a lot, we should have spent more time getting a goaltender," Davis said. "You couldn't really blame Bobby. He played really well for us. He was probably just the wrong guy for the job."

That wasn't the only mistake Team Canada made. Over Christmas, two months before the Olympics, the decision was made to split the team in two. Half went to a pre-Olympic tournament in Lake Placid, the other half went to a tournament overseas. One month before the Games, Team Canada travelled to Japan to play. They never quite recovered from that trip.

"We peaked too early," Davidson said.

"In Japan, Bob (Dupuis) hurt his hand badly. I don't think he made the coaching staff aware of how bad he was hurt. He'd come this close, he didn't want to have it taken from him."

At Lake Placid, the long, slow goal hurt as did a 3-1 lead the Canadians couldn't hold over the famed Russians.

Video Link

But strangely, other Canadians undid the last chance this team had for a medal, the Canadians who held Dutch passports.

"The way it worked out in the round-robin was, if Poland beats Holland, the way it should have, we go to the medal round. When Poland lost, we were absolutely shocked," Davidson said. "We would have played the Americans and Sweden in the medal around. We had done well against both. Who knows what would have happened if Poland wins that game?"

There are tentative plans for the 1980 Olympic team to get together this summer for a reunion, swap old stories, tell some lies. If only they can find the time and the place.

"There's lots to talk about," Nill said.

So much still unspoken.

---

TEAM CANADA, 1980

GOAL
Bob Dupuis (1), Paul Pageau (1)

DEFENCE
Randy Gregg (474), Tim Watters (741), Terry O'Malley, Warren Anderson, Don Spring (259), Brad Pirie, Joe Grant

FORWARDS
Glenn Anderson (1,129), Paul MacLean (719), Jim Nill (524), Dave Hindmarch (99), Kevin Maxwell (66), John Devaney, Dan D'Alvise, Ken Berry (55), Kevin Primeau, Ron Davidson, Stelio Zupancich

CO-COACHES
Tom Watt, Clare Drake, Lorne Davis

(Number of NHL games played are in brackets.)
Here's a couple of blasts from the past to precede the WC game tonight.

Thank Canada for legendary game in 1980 Winter Olympics
STEPHEN WHYNO The Canadian Press Feb. 19, 2015

Tom Watt still has a video tape of the “Miracle On Ice,” with his own voice as part of the soundtrack. One of Canada’s coaches during the 1980 Winter Olympics, Watt worked the television broadcast of the legendary game between the United States and Soviet Union after his team didn’t reach the medal round.

Two days earlier, Canada fell just short of a miracle of its own. The Canadians blew a two-goal lead to the Soviet Red Army team late in the second period, and a 6-4 loss marked the end of their run in Lake Placid, N.Y.

Thirty-five years later, the rag-tag Americans are being celebrated for one of the most memorable upsets in sports history on their way to an improbable gold medal, while Canada finished a forgettable sixth.

“We had a better team than [the United States] had,” Watt said this week. “There’s no question in my mind. But, hey, the Olympic Games are all about being right on the right day.”

Back before NHL players took part in the Olympics, Canada’s talent-rich team featured 12 future NHL players, including Glenn Anderson (then 19), captain Randy Gregg, Kevin Primeau, Jim Nill and Paul MacLean. They had a winning record over the U.S. in exhibition play but never got to prove that superiority at the Olympics.

Instead, Watt still laments a 150-foot fluke goal by Finland that ultimately cost Canada a spot in the medal round – he remembers the puck sliding past goaltender Bob Dupuis and will “see it till the day I die.” Loss to the Finns aside, the Canadians had their own chance to beat the Soviets to move on.

Even though Friday marks 35 years to the day of that game, players remember it like it was yesterday. One player’s back spasmed, leading to Alexei Kasatonov’s two-on-one goal with 13 seconds left in the second period that cut Canada’s lead to one.

“Games are decided in the moment on very small things,” said Terry O’Malley, the oldest player on that team at 39.

The “Mighty Red Machine” scored twice more in the first 65 seconds of the third and then twice more after Canada tied it again. As Nill said, “it’s a game that could’ve gone either way.”

“I think that game kind of showed that you know what, boy, these guys, they can be beat,” said Nill, now the general manager of the Dallas Stars.

U.S. captain Mike Eruzione learned a lesson about the Soviets from Canada’s game.

“I thought the Canadians had them on the ropes and let them off,” Eruzione said Wednesday. “In my head, I’m thinking, ‘If we ever had them in that position, we wouldn’t let them off.’”

The U.S. did just that, taking the lead midway through the third period and finishing off the upset to the sound of broadcaster Al Michaels’ call of, “Do you believe in Miracles?”

Gregg is at peace about the defeat 35 years later.

“A loss is never a loss unless you learn something from it, and I think we learned a lot from that,” Gregg said, pointing to the many players who went on to have success in hockey and other fields.

Nill is similarly convinced that things worked out for the best. He surmises that he might not have a job in Dallas today had the “Miracle On Ice” not happened.

“In the end, probably the best thing for hockey was the U.S. team winning, to tell you the truth,” Nill said, referencing the Cold War and struggling American economy. “The NHL was big in Canada, it wasn’t big in the U.S., and I think when the Americans won, these college kids won, hockey, it gave the people in the U.S. something to grab onto.”

Where are they now

Glenn Anderson
Canada’s best player went on to a Hall of Fame career and won the Stanley Cup six times.

Jim Nill
Nill played 524 NHL games. Nill won four Cups as a Detroit executive and is now in his second season as general manager of the Dallas Stars.

Paul MacLean
MacLean played in parts of 11 NHL seasons. He served as an assistant to Mike Babcock in Anaheim and Detroit before coaching the Ottawa Senators. He was fired in December.

Randy Gregg
The captain turned down a deal with the New York Rangers to play at the Olympics. He later won five Cups.

John Devaney
Canada’s second-line centre turned down a minor-league contract with the Oilers to go back to the University of Alberta. He never made the NHL but found success as an accountant.

Tim Watters
The blueliner played 741 NHL games and spent one year as a Bruins assistant coach.

Tom Watt
One of the team’s three coaches, Watt has spent the decades since coaching and managing. He’s now a scout for the Leafs.

Terry O’Malley
O’Malley never made the NHL but is in the IIHF Hall of Fame.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 1:13 PM

Katarina Roxon Gets Her Own Way
http://vocm.com/news/katarina-roxon-gets-her-own-way/
Quote:
A gold medal Paralympian from this province says she's blown away after having a road named after her.

Katarina Roxon arrived in St. John's yesterday after winning gold in the 100m breaststroke in Rio.

The Kippens native has been honoured by having a portion of route 490 named after her. It will now be known as Roxon Way.

Roxon told reporters at St. John's International Airport she's delighted to be back on home soil.

A motorcade is planned this weekend through Stephenville and her hometown of Kippens.

Roxon will pay a special visit to students at Hazelwood Elementary in St. John's this morning.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 5:32 PM
The New Republic

24,000 Expected Today for the Panda Game

The Panda Game is arguably the 3rd most anticipated football game in Canada after the Grey Cup and Vanier Cup. The game dates to 1955 and has seen a huge resurgence the last few years with the Carleton football program re-instated after a 15 year absence.

It won't be the only big college football game this weekend. The University of Regina host the University of Saskatchewan today to inaugurate the new Mosaic Stadium in Regina. The upper bowl will be closed so they're expecting about 16,000 fans and a full lower bowl. The following day Laval hosts McGill, so the Saskatchewan dual amazingly might only rank as the 3rd biggest college football crowd this weekend.

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 1, 2016 at 6:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 9:55 AM
The New Republic

Carleton Bring Pedro Home in Panda Game

Carleton University beat cross town rival University of Ottawa to win the Panda Game in front of 23,329 fans at TD Place.

Courtesy of Ravens

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 6:12 PM

Lance Stroll who's from Montréal has won the F3 series. He will be the next Canadian to drive a F1 car. probably in a Williams.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Lance Stroll who's from Montréal has won the F3 series. He will be the next Canadian to drive a F1 car. probably in a Williams.
Wow, you beat me to it, I was just about to post it. This is truly an amazing story and news to me as I don't follow motorsports too closely.

Video Hauraney: Chances are good Stroll could be full time F1 driver next year

17-year-old Montreal native Lance Stroll had an incredible season in FIA F3, dominating all year and claiming the 2016 FIA Formula 3 European Championship. TSN racing analyst Tim Hauraney weighs in on if he could be a full time F1 driver next year.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 2:40 PM
ハルウララ

It seems likely he'll be picked up by Williams. Doesn't hurt that his father and/or family is super rich. Pretty much required in today's F1. Aside from that you can't deny Stroll's driving ability at this point and he does seem destined for an eventual ride in F1. I'd be pretty surprised if he managed to land an F1 seat for next season and I think testing for Williams next year would be more likely. Silly season is still ongoing with lots of seats still open so we'll see what the next few weeks bring.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 4:08 PM

He's been on the Williams's Test Driving team since last year.

With Massa retiring at the end of the year, there's a spot available in Williams (2 if you count that they haven't confirmed Bottas for 2017), so I wouldn't be surprised if Stroll gets his shot next year.

With the success of Max Verstappen this year, looks like they are going to give more spot for the young guns to prove themselves.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 5:52 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
He's been on the Williams's Test Driving team since last year.
I mis-spoke. I meant a position as a free practice driver/backup during race weekends, not as a developmental driver.

It would be pretty shocking if Bottas wasn't going to be returning to Williams. All the other open seats would be a step down for him at this point.

I have no doubt Stroll will be on the grid in the next few years I would just be surprised if it was next year. Never know.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 12:44 PM

According to his father, Lance Stroll will be in the F1 next year.
No info as to whether or not it will be as a official or test driver, but judging by how happy is father sounds, it must be the real deal.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...1-lan-prochain

Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 4:48 PM
Go Chiefs!

Awesome news regarding Lance Stroll. Even if he's only a test driver, within 2-3 years max, he will be a regular (and hopefully Williams keeps improving the car until then).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 9:57 AM

Introducing U Sports
U Sports Staff

A new name, a new logo and new branding will take Canada’s governing body for university sport into the future, it was announced today.

U Sports is the new name and brand for the organization, replacing Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), which had been in place since 2001. U, as in United. Unbeatable. Unsurpassed. Undaunted. Unrelenting. One title, instantly recognizable and identical in both French and English.

As well, a new, simple and elegant logo is being unveiled to wrap the 12,000 student-athletes, 500 coaches, 56 universities, 21 national championships and 12 sports into one brand. The logo was inspired by the bold, angular letterforms found on university athletics logos, varsity jackets and jerseys. The maple leaf within the new logo was evolved from a unique leaf found on an old CIAU (Canadian Interuniversity Athletic Union) letterhead from the 1980s.

“This is a landmark day for us. Effective today, we are U Sports,” said Graham Brown, the CEO of U Sports. “This is an important step towards a total transformation of our organization which started almost a year ago.

“Although the mission and the passion remain the same, the new brand will shine the spotlight on our dedicated student-athletes at our 56 universities across the country. Today’s announcement also aims to create a massive change in the way university sports are consumed in a fast-changing digital era.”

The U Sports brand was created by the firm of Hulse & Durrell, which has put together numerous brand launches over the years, including the Canadian Olympic Committee, Swimming Canada, Curling Canada and most recently Equestrian Canada.

“It needed to be different than anything that had been tried before in the organization’s 100-year history. But, at the core, it was essential that everyone understands this brand,” said Hulse & Durrell partner Ben Hulse.

“We hope this becomes a rallying point for the organization,” added Greg Durrell.

Beginning today, the organization’s website will be found at www.usports.ca. The new U Sports website will officially launch in early 2017. U Sports’ social media channels also will take on the new brand: twitter.com/usportsca, Facebook.com/usportscanada, youtube.com/usportsca and instagram.com/usportsca. In the coming months, U Sports will also be featured in all branding initiatives, highlighted by its staging of national championships from coast to coast.

“This is an exciting day for Canadian university sport as we unveil our new branding and logo,” said Michael Mahon, the chair of U Sports board of directors, and the president at the University of Lethbridge. “The work put in by Hulse & Durrell on the U Sports launch should be commended as they created a modern impact that is in perfect sync with the current transformation of our national body to provide the best possible experience for our student-athletes and university teams across Canada.”

U Sports will become the brand of record for university sport in this country, covering all aspects of the sport with comprehensive guidelines that align the brand with U Sports’ extensive network of partners, sponsors, broadcasters and stakeholders. The new name and look also will apply to a myriad of other branded assets that include but are not limited to U Sports’ national championships, merchandise and marketing materials.

CIAU Central was the first name of Canada’s university sport’s governing body in 1906. The Canadian Interuniversity Athletic Union name was established in 1961. In June 2001, the membership of the CIAU voted to change the name and logo of the organization to Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 10:48 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I like this new U Sport name.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 2:28 AM

Lumenpulse.com & Greg Gallinger

Looks like Saskatoon will be helping Winnipeg's True North Sports & Entertainment in bid for World Juniors bid for 2019.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...398448441.html

Saskatoon hosted twice before, last teaming with Regina in 2010 for hosting the World Juniors. Initially Winnipeg withdrew plans to bid for the hockey tournament but has teamed with Saskatoon's help to place a bid.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2732695/ho...world-juniors/

Other viable bid hosts for Canada's next turn in hosting for 2019 are Vancouver/Victoria and Edmonton/Calgary.
BC last hosted the event in 2006 & Alberta last in 2012.

Last edited by SaskScraper; Oct 26, 2016 at 2:44 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada