HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 7:37 PM

Lawson Lumber 276 Dunsmure | ? | 3fl | Proposed

https://www.thepublicrecord.ca/2021/...tal-townhomes/

Developer to Remediate Dunsmure Road Site for New Rental Townhomes

The last industrial site between King and Main Streets is going to be remediated as part of a residential development which will see 64 new rental townhouses built on Dunsmure Road directly to the west of the CP rail site.

Hamilton City Council is expected to approve a $629,184 grant to the developer of 260 and 276 Dunsmure Road towards the estimated $1.875-million costs of remediating the site which “contains five vacant industrial/commercial and administrative buildings associated with its historical use as a lumberyard for Lawson Lumber Company Ltd.”

The City expects the site will increase municipal taxes from $37,399 to $118,742 per year. The grant represents 80% of this increase over ten years.

The project requires minor variances. A construction timeline was not included in the grant report.

Demand for ground-oriented housing is extremely high. It is reasonable to expect construction to begin as soon as the Site Plan is approved by the City of Hamilton

https://www.tcarch.ca/276-dunsmure-road-townhouses

I notice that from the architects table to the realistic rendering the fun and colour has been sucked from this project. No intention of including the heritage type building that currently sits on the site.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Aug 9, 2021 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 8:26 PM

Wish they could incorporate some of the existing buildings, but at least it's a positive development and in a good area (demand wise). Close to lots of things, and of course the park.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Wish they could incorporate some of the existing buildings, but at least it's a positive development and in a good area (demand wise). Close to lots of things, and of course the park.
Glad it's rental too. Will open up housing options in the area. Wish it included less surface parking though. It's also a little bit low density considering proximity to LRT stations and Ottawa St. Would be nicer to have a solid mid rise of maybe 4-5 storeys.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2021, 9:20 PM
Ham-burgher

This is great. The site is basically invisible to all except those who live in the area or use the local streets (you can see it from King, but it's 'blink and you missed it' especially if you're the driver)

There are probably quite a few properties like this all across the older parts of the city. They don't have to become low-to-mid rises. Narrow townhomes or stacked townhouses would be great density for very residential blocks, and probably quite current-resident-friendly too.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 8:38 PM
Hamilton Historian

I actually don't mind the design

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I actually don't mind the design
I like the architects original more colourful design personally. Hamilton really lacks hip new developments. Things that Hamilton and Ottawa have got plenty of.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 11:05 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Lots of parking...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 5:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I like the architects original more colourful design personally. Hamilton really lacks hip new developments. Things that Hamilton and Ottawa have got plenty of.
Honestly most of the colour was just in the doors - people can always replace the doors - other than that not a lot was changed from the original drawings. That and they generally work with existing materials that can be bought.

I'd rather see actual craftsmanship other than lego bright colours lol..

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Honestly most of the colour was just in the doors - people can always replace the doors - other than that not a lot was changed from the original drawings. That and they generally work with existing materials that can be bought.

I'd rather see actual craftsmanship other than lego bright colours lol..
These are rentals, not owned townhomes, so renters will likely be unable to replace the doors.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 7:05 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
These are rentals, not owned townhomes, so renters will likely be unable to replace the doors.
Maybe they can paint them - in any case lack of painted doors isn't the end of the world.. but I get what you're feeling. So many times character is just stripped out for a sense of modular sameness.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 7:37 PM
Ham-burgher

At least it appears they're varying the earth tones.

They could do something just like this -- a similar build, on a similar site less than a kilometre away -- and it would be an acceptable addition to the rental market but boring as heck: https://goo.gl/maps/i9yrfJ1Zh4FVwEuT8

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 9:24 PM
It's a nickname from work

and as quickly as the proposal came, demolition is well underway.

I think we can update the thread now.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 11:28 PM
Ham-burgher

Before construction, I wonder how much remediation work is needed, and how long that will take.

You wouldn't think a lumber yard would require an extensive cleanup, at least not the same way lands devoted to heavy industry would, but I guess it also depends on what was on that site prior to Lawson.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 8:33 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Before construction, I wonder how much remediation work is needed, and how long that will take.

You wouldn't think a lumber yard would require an extensive cleanup, at least not the same way lands devoted to heavy industry would, but I guess it also depends on what was on that site prior to Lawson.
Its right next to the tracks so that in itself could require some remediation. There was once a track or two going onto their property to service them as well.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 10:24 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Its right next to the tracks so that in itself could require some remediation. There was once a track or two going onto their property to service them as well.
Thanks! I never noticed it when I first looked at the site's satellite view, but you can see the remains of one spur and where it connected to the CP line; the ties are longer where a switch used to be.

https://goo.gl/maps/YvGVjBiruHaVmTDE7

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 1:36 PM
It's a nickname from work

I wasn't able to get a photo in time, but the office building hasn't been touched in the other demolitions, which have now finished with the actual demolishing part of the process.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 11:04 PM

Today

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:32 PM

Hi SkyscraperPage community,

Tyler from Tibro Properties here - 'love to see the interest in our newest project. I've included a couple of renderings below that haven't been released to the public yet. I'll try to get some more details and images in the coming weeks but wanted to leave a little something here for the moment.

In regards to the existing site: unfortunately we were not able to utilize the existing structure but we recognize the significance of the site. We will be installing a plaque to acknowledge the history (design TBD) and have named our site after the yard - The Lawson Towns.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 4:19 AM
Hamilton Historian

Hey Tyler welcome to the forums, glad to see your project moving along.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 5:26 PM

Was hoping to see the Lawson Lumber office building incorporated some how. I noticed some brick and stones from the entrance were saved before demolition.. Is there plans to incorporate them in the project?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton