HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:09 PM
urbanYVR.com

Ikea Winnipeg | Completed

From Tuesday's Winnipeg Sun:

Quote:
Winnipeg is on IKEA's radar, says a prominent local property developer.

Sandy Shindleman says the retail real estate industry is buzzing that the Swedish furniture giant will open a Winnipeg store in 2009 or 2010.

Citing reliable sources from the International Council of Shopping Centre winter conference, Shindleman says Winnipeg is next or second-next for new stores coming to Canada -- in Halifax and Winnipeg.

"I think in that order," he added. "The industry's talking about the fact we're finally on the radar."

A company spokesman confirmed IKEA has expansion plans for Canada, but Winnipeg is not in them.

"It is just a rumour," Cass Hall said of talk of a new store here.

"For now we don't have any plans for Winnipeg we can discuss right now."

IKEA turns 30 this year and is growing as a company. Hall said among its first new moves in Canada will be to expand its Ottawa store.

Winnipeggers are some of the best and most loyal IKEA mail-order customers in Canada, yet have long felt inferior for not having a storefront outlet.

FEASIBILITY STUDY

Their hopes were raised when IKEA conducted a feasibility study a few years ago on the merits of doing business here. At the time, Winnipeg did not have the magical one-million population the company says on its website it requires.

Robert Warren, a retail professor at the University of Manitoba, doubts IKEA will open a store here. The city and its catchment area cannot support the size of big box -- about 200,000 square feet -- IKEA is building now, he said.

"That store has got to do $33 (million) or $35 million in sales," he said. "If you go to their website you will see they never go into a market of less than a million people ... unless they're coming up with some new format.

"I don't think they'd come here in a million years. It's not the first time I've heard 'reliable sources say.' "

But Warren admitted he could be wrong and suggested IKEA may be moving into second-tier markets the way major retailers Wal-Mart and Superstore have done. Both Halifax and Winnipeg are considered secondary retail markets, he said.

Shindleman, whose company counts retail giants such as Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Best Buy, Old Navy and Starbucks among its clients, acknowledges the news may be speculation right now, but believes IKEA will find a home here.

"I always knew it would happen, but I wondered if I would still be in business," he said. "I thought I might be retired."

The president of Shindico Realty Inc. said an IKEA store, which needs hectares of space for customer parking and highway access for deliveries, would likely set up shop in southeast or southwest Winnipeg.

"There's quite a few choices for them," he said, noting he'd be surprised "to see it opening before 2009."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 2:15 PM
Density and complexity

The only thing that makes me roll my eyes more than "will NHL hockey come back to Winnipeg" discussions, is "will IKEA come to Winnipeg" discussions.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:02 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
The only thing that makes me roll my eyes more than "will NHL hockey come back to Winnipeg" discussions, is "will IKEA come to Winnipeg" discussions.
I don't understand why the media wants to get people's hopes up, and then stomp on them like a cheap cigarette. It's quite pathetic on their part.

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. C'est la vie.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Jan 30, 2007 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:16 PM
Derp

Judging by what happened to the last soul who posted a thread about Ikea, I would say some people are starting to tread on thin ice....

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 3:44 PM
urbanYVR.com

well, it was in the paper -- that's the only reason why I posted it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 4:05 PM
Big Dog

I don't understand the part about needing a million population. Edmonton had an IKEA long before it hit a million in population.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 4:14 PM
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaboy View Post
I don't understand why the media wants to get people's hopes up, and then stomp on them like a cheap cigarette. It's quite pathetic on their part.

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. C'est la vie.
It sells papers. It's like a free sales generator that they can only whip out about once a year. Certainly the Sun is not above such crap.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 4:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

bahaha not this stupid talk again last year we deceded ikea was noting but crap

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 4:37 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKAN104 View Post
I don't understand the part about needing a million population. Edmonton had an IKEA long before it hit a million in population.
IKEA used to build much smaller stores. These days, they're only doing these huge 2 storey monsters that make a Home Depot look tiny by comparison. Look up "big box" in the dictionary, and you'll find a picture of IKEA.

It's always surprised me that Winnipeg didn't have an IKEA. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Winnipeg is the perfect market for their product (as evidenced by the huge catalog sales they do). As 1ajs says, though, much of their merchandise isn't exactly "quality", so it all depends on what you're looking for in furniture. It's a neat store to shop in, but 99% of their stuff is, shall we say, "garbage".

To emphasize this, I do a lot of garage sailing in the summer, and since moving to Calgary, I've seen a HUGE amount of IKEA stuff at garage sales. People don't tend to hang on to this stuff for very long - read into that what you will.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 5:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
IKEA used to build much smaller stores. These days, they're only doing these huge 2 storey monsters that make a Home Depot look tiny by comparison. Look up "big box" in the dictionary, and you'll find a picture of IKEA.

It's always surprised me that Winnipeg didn't have an IKEA. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Winnipeg is the perfect market for their product (as evidenced by the huge catalog sales they do). As 1ajs says, though, much of their merchandise isn't exactly "quality", so it all depends on what you're looking for in furniture. It's a neat store to shop in, but 99% of their stuff is, shall we say, "garbage".

To emphasize this, I do a lot of garage sailing in the summer, and since moving to Calgary, I've seen a HUGE amount of IKEA stuff at garage sales. People don't tend to hang on to this stuff for very long - read into that what you will.
lol ya

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 6:00 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKAN104 View Post
IKEA was a much smaller company in the early 80s.

Also the original IKEA in Edmonton was in the WEM and one could justify that there would be quite a bit of tourism business going to that location just because of the mall.

The new IKEA in Edmonton wasnt built until Edmonton (and surrounding areas) hit one million people.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 6:42 PM
GT Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
IKEA was a much smaller company in the early 80s.

Also the original IKEA in Edmonton was in the WEM and one could justify that there would be quite a bit of tourism business going to that location just because of the mall.

The new IKEA in Edmonton wasnt built until Edmonton (and surrounding areas) hit one million people.
Actually the original IKEA was in SE Edmonton, on 50st and Sherwood Park Freeway (Where the purple UofA Bard building is now). Ikea has been in Edmonton since 1979 according to their website, didnt go to WEM until the mid 80s.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 6:46 PM
Community Guy

^and dont forget they moved to whitemud and gateway blvd mid 90's when we were far under 1mil also....but economics have changed yall.

oh and ikea builds 300,000sqft stores now, not 200.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:23 PM

^Unless someone can find the "magic 1 million" number on their website - it is complete bogus. In fact, technically both Edm and Cgy new ikeas were built before officially hitting that number.

Regardless, as I pointed out on one of the other many Ikea coming to Winnipeg threads, there have been several built in the last year in Scandinavia and Russia with similar or smaller pops than the Peg.

http://www.ikea-group.ikea.com/corpo...up_stores.html

Someone in the Peg should write the Sun back - and call this guy on shoddy journalism. First, he gets in touch with a company spokesman, but then gets that stupid 1 million figure from a retail professor at the U of M? And that dude misses the size of the stores by about 125,000 sq ft???

EDIT: I looked this up before...so I did more research than the guy that wrote the article - send this to him to follow-up:

"As well, Ikea has opened recently (2005/2006) in less populated places than Winnipeg:

Amersfoort - 134k.
Kalmar - 230k (in county)
Haparanda (Norrbotten Country - 258k) - the "northernmost" Ikea (65.50 N opened Nov, 2006)"

NOW stop creating new threads on Winnipeg and IKEA

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:27 PM
urbanYVR.com

I think the magic one million is bullshit too.. urban legend that won't die.

I think the reason that we don't already have one has a lot to do with Palliser (NEFCO) being based here, and their stranglehold on the local furniture market. ie. EQ3, Penthouse, Palliser, Thomasville, etc. etc. all owned by the same company.

But perhaps that doesn't matter anymore.. and as much as I hate Shady Swindleman, he would know.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:36 PM
Movin' on up

Never mind Winnipeg; what about Halifax? For hypothetical purposes, let's just say that this rumor is true. The metro Halifax region is around what, 300,000 people? The entire population of Nova Scotia is just under a million people. If the million magic mark is so prevelant in IKEA's requirments, how does Halifax fit into this?

There seems to be some fibbing on someone's part, either on IKEA's part or from someone else. Either way, I 100% agree with Kirk; the media feeds on this kind of opportunity, and we keep buying into it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 8:45 PM
urbanYVR.com

I wonder if they figure a Halifax store would serve all of Atlantic Canada... otherwise I don't see the logic in that either.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 9:11 PM

That is so funny. I had no idea Winnipeg didn't have an Ikea.

As far as the million mark, Edmonton and Calgary had theirs built years ago when they were around half a million. Plus the fact that they are considering Halifax, which is well under a million makes me think the million people mark is something made up.

Why is it Winnipeg never had one? Calgary got an Ikea 25 years ago??

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 9:36 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post

Why is it Winnipeg never had one? Calgary got an Ikea 25 years ago??
Maybe the folks at Ikea are afraid that the people of Winnipeg know the concept of 'value'?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2007, 10:55 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Maybe the folks at Ikea are afraid that the people of Winnipeg know the concept of 'value'?
Hmmm, somehow, I doubt that's the reason. I'm not the biggest fan of Ikea, but you can also get some good deals there if you know what to look for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan