HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2008, 5:53 AM
Movin' on up

Soooooooo; IKEA?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2008, 1:01 AM
Dreamer

There seems to be a few naysayers to IKEA here, I've decided to do a little test in our Winnipeg firm to see how thirsty a group of designers are for IKEA. I went there today to pick up some wares for our secret-Santa gift exchange for the office party ... I will see how many times it gets stolen as a measure of judgement.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 4:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
There seems to be a few naysayers to IKEA here, I've decided to do a little test in our Winnipeg firm to see how thirsty a group of designers are for IKEA. I went there today to pick up some wares for our secret-Santa gift exchange for the office party ... I will see how many times it gets stolen as a measure of judgement.

Very scientific If the outcome is positive, you should submit that with the city of Winnipeg's incentive package to aid in IKEA's market research of the metro area's ability to sustain their store.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c vist View Post
Hey, if you're coming home for Christmas, can i place an order?

Just kidding. Sort of.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 4:14 AM
Dreamer

^ sorry my little car has 2 kids and a dog ... not much room.

I find the Free Press online poll interesting ... 76% want IKEA and 21% want an IKEA-less Winnipeg. Why wouldn't people want the 7% tax grab from all those attracted to IKEA from the US, Sask and N. Ontario ... I'm not counting MB because their $$$ would just be spent on something else that generates tax $ ... Jysk or Walmart I would imagine.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 4:27 AM
Starring as himself

Winnipeg would become like a giant student ghetto, with every home in the city sporting the same Sklank shelves, Frondblap chesterfields and Gjonk coffee tables. That is why I would oppose it.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Winnipeg would become like a giant student ghetto, with every home in the city sporting the same Sklank shelves, Frondblap chesterfields and Gjonk coffee tables. That is why I would oppose it.
Your design review process is too rigid!!

When it comes right down to it, you can't mail order the meatballs.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2008, 5:27 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Winnipeg would become like a giant student ghetto
That's a pretty extreme view.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 3:41 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Exclamation IKEA coming to Winnipeg

This Rob Warren guy sounds like an idiot.

Monday, December 15, 2008

IKEA coming to Winnipeg
Furniture chain expected to announce plan to bring location to city

By ADAM CLAYTON, SUN MEDIA

Sweden-based furniture chain IKEA is expected to announce Tuesday that it is planning to set up shop in Winnipeg.

A source, who asked not to be identified, confirmed IKEA is set to announce “something big” Tuesday involving a possible location for the store at Kenaston Boulevard and Sterling Lyon Parkway.

Rumours about the retail furnishings chain coming to the city have popped up a number of times in recent years. In late November, IKEA Canada said it was “looking at Winnipeg in a very serious manner”.

“We are taking a very serious look at the market and there is a specific piece of land we’re interested in,” spokeswoman Madeleine Lowenborg-Frick said at the time.

She could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Last month, she refused to identify the site and said there was “no immediate plan” for a store in Winnipeg. At the time, Premier Gary Doer confirmed the province had spoken with IKEA representatives.

Another source said approximately 20 City of Winnipeg employees are bound by non-disclosure agreements not to discuss IKEA’s plans for the city.

Rob Warren, executive director of the University of Manitoba’s Stu Clarke Centre for Entrepreneurship, said he was surprised to hear of Tuesday's expected announcement.

“I don’t think this is the market for it, unless they have come up with another format style,” he said. “Those stores are huge and I just don’t know how this market is going to sustain it.”

Warren said IKEA stores in Canada appear to have annual sales of up to $153 million.

“I’d be absolutely amazed if you could do that in Winnipeg,” he said. “I would guess a large store in Winnipeg would be lucky to crack $100 million.”

A scaled-down store would be more likely to succeed, Warren said.

“But you’d have to scale it down a lot,” he said. “If you’re talking one of the full-scale ones, I don’t know how it’s going to survive. I just don’t.”

Fans of IKEA have been clamouring for a Winnipeg store for years. A group on the online social networking website Facebook called “Bring IKEA to Winnipeg” has more than 5,700 members.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:19 AM
Starring as himself

Well, IKEAs are huge. They seem to have hundreds of customers in them at all times. I could see that everyone in Winnipeg would go and load up there when it opened, but I'm not sure what would sustain it in year two or three. If the IKEA concept requires $150 million in annual sales and Winnipeg doesn't have the market to produce that, then, no matter how enthusiastic people are about IKEA, it won't work. But that's up to IKEA to decide, obviously, and maybe they're planning to roll out a new scaled-down version.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:23 AM

winnipeg has over 700,000 people doesn't it?

thats enough to support a store not to mention the travellers who will go just to shop at it

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:30 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
This Rob Warren guy sounds like an idiot.
What do you mean? He's just another optimistic Winnipeg supporting private business establishing in the city

Seriously though, this is good news.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:34 AM
I am a typical

It only took them 10 years! Yay!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:44 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
winnipeg has over 700,000 people doesn't it?

thats enough to support a store not to mention the travellers who will go just to shop at it
But if a store requires $150 million in sales, how do you know that 700,000 people + travellers will produce it? Presumably the reason that Prof. Warren says it won't is that he's familiar with the literature on the subject and it says that a city of Winnipeg's size and wealth won't generate that type of revenue no matter how IKEA-crazy the 700,000 people might be.

In any case, we can wait to hear the announcement, whatever it turns out to be.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:46 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
But if a store requires $150 million in sales, how do you know that 700,000 people + travellers will produce it? Presumably the reason that Prof. Warren says it won't is that he's familiar with the literature on the subject and it says that a city of Winnipeg's size and wealth won't generate that type of revenue no matter how IKEA-crazy the 700,000 people might be.

Ah Andy; it's always refreshing to hear your consistent optimistic views on how Winnipeg can do well in so many regards

Are you sure your name isn't Rob Warren

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 5:08 AM
I am a typical

You know it always seems like the people that trash Winnipeg are the people who don't live there...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:14 AM

Well having had a couple of courses taught by Professor Warren, including a, course called Retail and Channel Analysis I can attest to the fact that the man knows his stuff. His attention to detailed research and for finding flaws in business plans can be attested to by any I.H. Asper graduate who has ever taken his New Venture Analysis course.

I think Prof Warren is right in that we might be seeing a new IKEA format rolled out in Winnipeg, a scaled down version of their MEGA stores. Actually I would prefer this as it would give Winnipeg access to a new line of furniture and household accessories but it wouldn't require the same amount of financial drain from other businesses as one of their MEGA stores would require.

I don't think he is being pesamistic I think he is being realistic, and he is just outlining the conditions that he believes IKEA needs to focus on in order to survive and thrive in the Winnipeg Market.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:47 AM

Quote:

salt lake city is only 180,000 with a metro close to 1 million and it has an IKEA store

edmonton and calgary had IKEA stores before they hit 1 million people

etc etc

why would winnipeggers be so anti-IKEA? are they also gonna block H&M?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 6:49 AM

either way IKEA has been exploring a smaller concept store in Europe for a while now - there are a number of them in the UK

at worst it could be the size of crate and barrel and you have to order in some things

surely winnipeg has home depot?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 7:14 AM
BANNED

Thought that Winnipeg's, 5 Home Depot's, 3 Rona's and 3 Brick's had the market cornered on press board crap!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan