HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 1:29 AM

i like my poang

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 1:50 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

your what now?

anyhow spent 3hrs in ikea board outa my mind this morning at the one across from mall of amarica witch i also went over there to go shoping for some other stuff that you can't get at ikea... bleh.. still can't find any stuff for my pentax here even arrg

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:39 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Interesting. I hadn't heard that story before.

I didn't realize the Winnipeg EQ3 store was the flagship store for Canada, it's not much different than the one in Calgary. EQ3 IMO is just as cliche as Ikea, only it's grossly overpriced.

but i guess we are not one of the big boys until we have a massive parking lot with thousands of mini vans roaming about a giant blue box.

That is true, the Ikea thing is a status thing. Most people in Winnipeg would much rather have the Ikea
Yes the Winnipeg EQ3 is a the flagship... as it is a Winnipeg company.. also where they showcase designs and test formats.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:42 AM
I am a typical

I don't know what a Poang is. Does that make me a backwards hick?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:50 AM

THIS IS A poang

mine is black with black leather - its quite comfy

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:13 AM
I am a typical

Oh, it's a queer little chair.

How wonderful for you! I have a 'chesterfield'!

It's old and smells funny, and not comfortable at all!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:22 AM
Mooderator

I have one of those.

Let's burn it and cook lacquer-smoked hotdogs.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 3:36 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
THIS IS A poang

mine is black with black leather - its quite comfy
thats somthing i would get if i ever got my own place

if i had any clue what the house cupple doors over was going for i would grab it instead of going south like i am atm...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:47 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I have one of those.

Let's burn it and cook lacquer-smoked hotdogs.
I have one too. We can chop them into bits, and fire them up in my charcoal weber bbq... Probably won't need any lighter fuel.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 4:41 PM
Im smasher000 xD

Vancouver has two Ikeas = 2mil ppl

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:38 PM
Mooderator

magnificent.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 12:55 AM

Gotta love my poang chair. Too easy to fall asleep in with the ottoman though.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:58 AM

They have great christmas decorations.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:09 AM
surely you agree with me

remember when we didnt have old navy and everyone would go to the states just to fill up on 5 dollar t-shirts....then they opened one here and it was like the biggest selling old navy in north america for a couple of months,....now the place is empty and nobody cares.

thats what would happen if ikea came to town...we have spent decades hanging on every hint and rumour...it will finally come...every house will have bags of tea lights in the closet....every junk drawer will have 10 L shaped wrenches in it....basement rec rooms will be loaded with 99 dollar bent plywood chairs.....and we will all wonder what the big fuss was for so many years.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:10 AM
I am a typical

"remember when we didnt have old navy and everyone would go to the states just to fill up on 5 dollar t-shirts....then they opened one here and it was like the biggest selling old navy in north america for a couple of months,....now the place is empty and nobody cares."

That happens to every Old Navy.

Ours gave out coupons that were only good on the Thursday before it opened!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:10 AM
surely you agree with me

same thing with MEXX...i used to load up on their clothes whenever i was in vancouver...now that we have one, i dont ever shop there because every third guy on the street is wearing a MEXX shirt.

ikea stuff is fine now because it takes some effort to get it....if we had one it would be so common that you would have to search for something different.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 6:31 AM

yeah thats why i would hate to See Target come to Canada - it has a nice cache only being in the states

if it were up here that would be lost

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 7:02 AM

It's basically that way for all stores.

West Edmonton Mall is home to a lot of upper end stores (designer stores, etc) that are the only location of Edmonton. Hype is big at first, but when everyone starts wearing them, the marginal utility diminishes.

Mind you, Ikea is pretty solid. I usually go there every once in a while.

The reason Ikea entered EDMONTON and Cowtown despite not having a large population base in the 80's, is the stores were much smaller in size compared to the warehouses that exist today.

Whether Ikea still operates smaller Ikea stores - I'm not sure.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 10:09 AM

in england they have started to open smaller inner urban city stores

Quote:
Giant IKEA thinks small to expand in town centres

THE furniture giant IKEA yesterday unveiled radical plans for the first in a series of smaller stores in town centres across Britain.

The new shops are a departure for the Swedish retailer, which has previously opted for huge out-of-town warehouses.

An application to build a smaller store at Hillingdon, in West London, is expected to be submitted for planning permission within the next fortnight.

Scott Cordrey, IKEA's UK property manager, said: "The concept will be very different to anything we have built before in the IKEA world.

"This will be a benchmark for retailers in the M25 area, both in flexibility and environmental measures."

The new store, which will include a restaurant, will be about 20,000 sq m in size and laid out over three levels. The development also will include 240 one- and two-bedroom flats, with 170 of them classified as affordable housing.

The chain intends to build between eight and ten of the new smaller stores within the next three years.

A spokeswoman for IKEA said they have no immediate plans for a new store in Scotland, but that they have not yet chosen locations for the smaller shops.

The company already has two large branches in Scotland - one just off the Edinburgh city bypass and another at Braehead in Glasgow.

Last year, John Prescott, the Deputy Prime Minister, refused the furniture chain permission to build a £30 million store at Stockport, near Manchester, because it went against government policy on out-of-town shopping developments.

IKEA appealed to the High Court but the decision was upheld last March. In a statement released after the High Court decision the company said it would continue with its expansion plans.

The smaller stores are seen as a way around the planning policy. The firm has described its new format as "IKEA as we know it" but that it would involve "compromises on range presentation and office space".

Leigh Sparks, professor of retail studies at Stirling University, said: "The smaller size of the stores will inevitably mean a compromise on the number of products available. How they handle that will be an interesting choice, and what works and what doesn't work is something they'll have to find out through experimentation."

Prof Sparks thinks the new stores may make use of IKEA's home delivery service and could act as a shopfront for items that may not be held in stock in the smaller stores but would be available to order.

He added: "Much will depend on the mix of products in store. There is a danger that if existing customers go to the new stores and are dissatisfied with the range they find there then it could damage the brand."

Neil Mason, a senior retail analyst with Mintel, said: "This is an attempt by IKEA to modify its format to get planning consent and make itself more available to consumers in the UK.

"They've been a victim of their own success in some ways - they're just so popular. They have a winning formula and I see no reason why they can't repeat that with their smaller format stores."

He added that the Swedish firm's plan to start selling goods online also would appeal to shoppers who wanted to avoid the crowds in its existing 13 large stores.
http://business.scotsman.com/topics....9&id=669542005

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 5:52 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
remember when we didnt have old navy and everyone would go to the states just to fill up on 5 dollar t-shirts....then they opened one here and it was like the biggest selling old navy in north america for a couple of months,....now the place is empty and nobody cares.

thats what would happen if ikea came to town...we have spent decades hanging on every hint and rumour...it will finally come...every house will have bags of tea lights in the closet....every junk drawer will have 10 L shaped wrenches in it....basement rec rooms will be loaded with 99 dollar bent plywood chairs.....and we will all wonder what the big fuss was for so many years.
That doesn't explain the constant growth of the company though. I don't have the stats but Ikea is much larger worldwide than it was 10 years ago, 20 years ago etc. The founder is now one of the richest men in the world. It first opened in Richmond BC in 1976 in a fairly small (by today's standards) location. After perhaps 8 years they built a new much-larger store on a larger site. That store was then expanded at least 2 times.

Then about 5 years ago, they added the 330,000 SF Coquitlam store to better support the eastern suburbs and Fraser Valley communities. They're obviously doing a huge volume of business with the 2 stores 30 years later.

If what you suggest is true, it probably affirms the fact that there aren't enough youngish families in Wpg setting up shop in condos, townhouses and older homes that want value-oriented and stylish homeware and furniture. And there aren't enough of these types plus singles migrating to Wpg to bolster the population sufficiently. You might call it "churn". I think the Ikea model depends on fresh blood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan