HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 7:15 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Izod is now owned by Van Heusen - it was never owned by lacoste but they had a partenership and some license agreements
Explains why I now see Van Heusen stores all over outlet malls in the US - and why I enjoy at least some of their clothing.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc2mb View Post
I think the magic one million is bullshit too.. urban legend that won't die.

I think the reason that we don't already have one has a lot to do with Palliser (NEFCO) being based here, and their stranglehold on the local furniture market. ie. EQ3, Penthouse, Palliser, Thomasville, etc. etc. all owned by the same company.

But perhaps that doesn't matter anymore.. and as much as I hate Shady Swindleman, he would know.
sorry, you are more than wrong. NEFCO does not own Palliser and if any one company actually had a 'stranglehold' on the local retail furniture market, both Leons (Toronto) and The Brick (Edmonton) would have been prevented from entering it in the late 1980's. Further to that the Shindleman or Swindleman family as you refer to them do commercial real estate in the city and it is the Adelman family who is the owner of Penthouse/NEFCO and they only sell Palliser manufactured products and have zero ownership otherwise-Palliser and EQ3 are entirely De Fehr. Also, Thomasville is an American owned and operated company. Nice try though.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 7:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the most common answer to that is that in the 80's and early 90's the defehr family, who own palliser furniture, the largest furniture manufacturer in canada and the second largest in north america, muscled any potential franchise investors out....not sure how they did that exactly but that was what was commonly reported.

winnipeg and ikea is all about status...who really cares....i prefer to have the flagship EQ3 store, but i guess we are not one of the big boys until we have a massive parking lot with thousands of mini vans roaming about a giant blue box.

they should put it in the top floor of the Bay downtown.....imagine that?
I wish to highlight the word 'common' in commonly reported lol-and as for Palliser being the second largest in all of North America...well...we can dream I suppose but that pinnacle has yet to be reached.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 7:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
EQ3 is palliser...ours was the first and when they do new lines and concepts it is tried here first...the defehrs are good community citizens...they actually stole 3 or 4 of the top people from ikea when they started it up...including a couple designers.....its a nice store, but they havent reached their goal of being an ikea competitor quite yet.

i agree about the overprice...i bought a cabinet from EQ3 and paid like $400 for it and then had to put it together myself?...for that money i want it to be put together properly by a craftsman or at least a machine....not by me on my living room floor with an L shaped wrench.

you are right...most people in winnipeg salivate over ikea....cheap crap...its like the store was made for winnipeg...there would be 3 poang chairs in every house for a 200 km radius around the store.

good corporate citizens indeed. and the De Fehr family also doesn't demand their name be put up in neon lights on facilities they donate to. modesty can be so attractive.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 10:29 PM

For those interested, I have recently learned that Ikea owns land just east of the Waverley Auto Mall. Roll # 03-065042800 maybe (just a guess)? Does this mean we are getting an Ikea? No, it just means they own land here.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:11 AM

I heard rumours they're interested in a big lot on the SW corner of Pembina and Bishop Grandin.
But I'll believe it when I see it.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:11 AM

I hate to admit this, as I never really was a proponent of IKEA. Of course, I never was an opponent, just neutral. However, with the current rise in prices I am turning to cheaper alternatives, and thus I would welcome an IKEA with open arms.

One would think that with the current escalation in prices - or the crunch on other goods, created by energy costs - that discount retailers (albeit, not in the housing-start industry, a la Home Depot) would be in expansionary phase, looking to oligopolize a massive market segment looking to save a buck.

Anyways, is that the land near Convergys? Or on the other side of Bishop Grandin, adjacent to Whyte Ridge?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 1:33 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
For those interested, I have recently learned that Ikea owns land just east of the Waverley Auto Mall. Roll # 03-065042800 maybe (just a guess)? Does this mean we are getting an Ikea? No, it just means they own land here.
It's just a speculative hold. They're going to keep it until prices skyrocket then sell it for profit.

They have no interest in Winnipeg at all!

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 2:50 AM
ABOVE people like you

Ikea grade beams started

While driving home I could see the construction workers pouring the grade beams for the new Ikea store. Looks like she's going to be big.
The general contractor is Mirage Construction from out east.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:26 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB-MAN View Post
While driving home I could see the construction workers pouring the grade beams for the new Ikea store. Looks like she's going to be big. The general contractor is Mirage Construction from out east.
Are you talking about Edmonton or Winnipeg?

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's just a speculative hold. They're going to keep it until prices skyrocket then sell it for profit.

They have no interest in Winnipeg at all!
If they have (or had) no interest at all, why bother buying land? Really? Obviously Winnipeg had crossed their mind at some point. I doubt they go around buying land randomly, in hopes it may make some cash.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 12:58 PM

I see Penthouse furniture has re-opened itself in the Exchange as Penthouse Life or something like that. The glossy flyer I received today doidn't have a couch for less than like $5k. What a complete opposite than IKEA. Some say 'peggers are cheap but not if they are shopping there. $5k would get you 1/2 of the inventory in an IKEA store.

Old Posted May 8, 2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
sorry, you are more than wrong. NEFCO does not own Palliser...
Does NEFCO just sell Palliser stuff then? We proudly have new theatre seating from Palliser (I say proudly, because we try to buy most of our furniture from Canadian companies...Palliser and True North seemingly being our favourites)...though, there was a mark on the leather, and I had to call to get it looked at - the number I had was for NEFCO.

Anyway, EQ3 stuff looks far better than the stuff at Ikea - if you like that modern look (not my style). I've learned the Ikea lesson the hard way...it might be inexpensive, but its also cheap. I think Winnipeg has too many other great furniture options that Winnipegers should be thankful for not having the largest of big box stores in their city.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:02 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Does NEFCO just sell Palliser stuff then? We proudly have new theatre seating from Palliser (I say proudly, because we try to buy most of our furniture from Canadian companies...Palliser and True North seemingly being our favourites)...though, there was a mark on the leather, and I had to call to get it looked at - the number I had was for NEFCO.

Anyway, EQ3 stuff looks far better than the stuff at Ikea - if you like that modern look (not my style). I've learned the Ikea lesson the hard way...it might be inexpensive, but its also cheap. I think Winnipeg has too many other great furniture options that Winnipegers should be thankful for not having the largest of big box stores in their city.

IKEA is so over rated i spent several hours in one last year i could not wait to get out......... blah........

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 12:58 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
If they have (or had) no interest at all, why bother buying land? Really? Obviously Winnipeg had crossed their mind at some point. I doubt they go around buying land randomly, in hopes it may make some cash.
My post was sarcasm, as evident by the green smilie eating a fly with it's long, frog-like tongue. Welcome to the intarwebz, G.

IKEA is crap. It's no better than the cheap furniture you can get at Wal-Mart or Zellers. They just happen to have a larger selection and a restaurant that sells mostly meatballs and hernekeitto.

If your furniture is to be put together by allen keys, you've been had!

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
My post was sarcasm, as evident by the green smilie eating a fly with it's long, frog-like tongue. Welcome to the intarwebz, G.

IKEA is crap. It's no better than the cheap furniture you can get at Wal-Mart or Zellers. They just happen to have a larger selection and a restaurant that sells mostly meatballs and hernekeitto.

If your furniture is to be put together by allen keys, you've been had!
I will say that it probably has its place...if its you've just moved out of parents home, gone to college, etc., it's probably better than getting a "Don't Pay Til 2010" deal at the Brick or Leons - most of there stuff is crap as well, and at least Ikea is simplistic trendy and mostly functional (which, does appeal to a lot of younger folks).

It's also easy to pick up and move around (if it doesn't break doing so)...we do have one bed frame from Ikea that's moved with us at least 5 times in the past 7 years...its surprisingly held up well. Any of the solid wood stuff will last (vs the simple beech-veneered crap they sell)...it just won't ever look like you spent more than $50 on it.

I will add though, that our Palliser seating isn't pricey at all. Defehr isn't too much more money - though, I do believe a lot of their stuff is "Made in China" anyway.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 2:08 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post

IKEA is so over rated i spent several hours in one last year i could not wait to get out......... blah........
That's because you still live at home with your mom and dad.

For most people first moving out IKEA is a cheap way to equip an apartment rather inexpensively.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 2:23 PM
the first stamp is free

^ true. When my wife and I first moved into an apartment, we went to visit my sister in Calgary, and came back with half of IKEA in the back seat of the car...

That being said, after having owned this furniture for a number of years, we have both sworn off IKEA product completely (except the kitchen gadgetry of course). We bought the "higher end" solid wood stuff, TV stand, kitchen table, chairs, coffee table, etc. and 4 years later the stuff looks absolutely beaten to hell.

It's dented, pitted, scratched, chipped. It is slowly ending up in the back lane for the junk collectors to grab. Our kitchen table was basically ruined after ONE poker game (splashing the pot with clay chips dents the table!)

If you are young, starting out my advice is to AVOID IKEA furniture. If you do buy it, get the cheap shit, cuz it will be garbage in a couple years anyway. I recommend looking for used stuff, go to antique places... get creative.

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 2:29 PM
Movin' on up

Bought a dresser drawer at IKEA in September; started to fall apart by February.

IKEA: never again!

Old Posted May 9, 2008, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ true. When my wife and I first moved into an apartment, we went to visit my sister in Calgary, and came back with half of IKEA in the back seat of the car...

That being said, after having owned this furniture for a number of years, we have both sworn off IKEA product completely (except the kitchen gadgetry of course). We bought the "higher end" solid wood stuff, TV stand, kitchen table, chairs, coffee table, etc. and 4 years later the stuff looks absolutely beaten to hell.

It's dented, pitted, scratched, chipped. It is slowly ending up in the back lane for the junk collectors to grab. Our kitchen table was basically ruined after ONE poker game (splashing the pot with clay chips dents the table!)

If you are young, starting out my advice is to AVOID IKEA furniture. If you do buy it, get the cheap shit, cuz it will be garbage in a couple years anyway. I recommend looking for used stuff, go to antique places... get creative.

Yeah, fully agree. Though, I still have friends that come out from Winnipeg and go back with a load of Ikea stuff...pushing 40 and they still like it.

They do have a lot of "okay" decorating accessories, etc, but it's still cheap. I'd rather go to Home Sense for that stuff. And even kitchen stuff - same thing, I'd rather spend more money at Williams-Sonoma that will last (heck, even Sears or the Bay), than cheap out.

I agree with your advice though, buy as much as possible elsewhere (at least the big stuff). Spend $1000-1500 on a table and chairs vs $300. We bought some of the solid wood pieces, and had the same issue. I'll also say though, that we cheaped out at Urban Barn, and quickly payed the price too (especially since the tables were made with an Asian wood that needs humidity to keep shape...not good in Calgary ;-) I think the general rule is you get what you pay for, period.

There is a large warehouse-style antique store just east of Lockport that we've been to a few times...only bought some accessories there, but the prices aren't bad - but you have to be into the styles they have to appreciate it (i.e. not modern).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan