HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
Thank for all that. I'm pretty well up on BW history but hardly knew any of this stuff about I. Magnin, especially about it and BW being THAT exclusive.
Well I Magnin merged with Bullocks sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. My grandmother worked for the president of the Bullocks/I Magnin chain Walter Weaver candy Jr,and Kate Irene Winnet Candy...Walter pretty much married Kate out of money and power.They sold out to some company in the early 60s where Walter would stay on as president(Mr Winnet who was in his 80s disapproved was the founder of Bullocks along with Mr. Bullocks and Mr. Muir)Anyways the Candys had a apartment right near the LA country club,and a house at 1111 San Vincente Bl in santa monica,and one in Malibu.I have the original keys to BW,the 3 houses,and some other personal property of The Candys. The winnets...Mr Winnet is center Kate Candy far right 1959

Walter and Kate

[URL=http://s292.photobucket.com/user/unihikid/media/Candy/027.jpg.html]Walter and Kate at the Malibu estate.

all phots by me

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I wasn't being sarcastic T2. I thought your post was really interesting. You put a lot of work into it is what I meant to say.
__
Sorry Boss, my feeble attempts at humor really don't work over the net. Thank you for the compliment.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:04 PM

While snooping around the north main street area looking for the location (in vain) of Richfield Gas Station No. 16,
I came across the old Edison Electric Co. Steam Power Plant built in 1903.

view from the 5 Freeway

gsv

gsv

The last time we visited this beauty was way back on page 50.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=3979

I also came across this empty art deco building at 1910 N. Main Street. I would have bet money that this was a defunct WPA era post office.

gsv

entrance/address

detail

Well, it turns out this was part of the Los Angeles Brewery as well.

early 1950s

lincolnheightsla.com

Here it is with the brewery buildings next door. (looking east along N. Main St/it curves)

gsv

below: I've outlined the empty art deco building in red. I'm guessing this was an administration building for the brewery.

google aerial

I outlined the original 1903 Edison Co. Steam Plant in blue.

The brewery became a Pabst Brewery in 1953. (this photo is dated 1954)

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=80404

http://beercanhistory.com/

Name changes of the brewery throughout the years. (list from http://www.lincolnheightsla.com/)

Los Angeles Brewing Company (aka Eastside Beverage Co.) 1897-1920
Zesto Beverage Company 1920-1926
Los Angeles Brewing Company (aka Eastside/Mission Brewing) 1933-1953
Pabst Brewing Company 1953-1979

Here's an earlier post on the Los Angeles Brewery by tovanger2.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10485
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:23 PM

The brand lasted until '79, but only as Eastside Old Tap, a bargain beer.

A little more here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=14180

Thanks for finding that photo of the administration building with the signage. I've never seen that one before.

Something else to do in Exposition Park this year:

LA County Natural History Museum
http://www.nhm.org/site/explore-exhi...ng-los-angeles

Becoming Los Angeles

"In July 2013, we’ll open Becoming Los Angeles. The new 14,000-square-foot exhibit will offer a unique take on Los Angeles’ stories — how land and people interacted, and how those interactions affect the city we live in today. Powerful storytelling, contemporary design, exceptional objects, and multi-media will allow visitors to interact with the exhibition, and by extension, contemporary Los Angeles, in real time.

Inside a suite of four galleries in the Museum’s newly-renovated 1913 and 1920s buildings, a visually striking canopy will symbolize the sweep of history and lead visitors through the exhibit’s major sections or historical eras: the pre-Spanish landscape; Mission Era; Mexican Rancho Era; the early years of the American Period; the emergence of a new American city in the late 19th and early 20th centuries; and L.A. as a global city of the 21st century.

This canopy will touch down at four points, triggering the walkthrough experience from once section to the next. Iconic objects at these trigger points include a cross from Mission San Gabriel and an inscribed sword from the Mexican war of independence. Other important objects in the exhibit include a wooden oil well pump from a 1920s Los Angeles city oil field, and Walt Disney’s animation stand that was built in his uncle’s L.A. garage in 1923. (Disney used it to film “Steamboat Willie,” the first cartoon released that featured Mickey Mouse.)

Why We Can Tell These Stories Best
NHM has been collecting Los Angeles history for generations, and will use a wide spectrum of material culture — family heirlooms, everyday housewares, tools, toys, cars, movie- making equipment, and other machines dating back to before the founding of the city in 1781 — creating a visceral experience of Angelenos and their stories. In fact, throughout much of the Museum’s nearly 100-year history, it was the only place pioneering L.A. organizations and families could donate their historic treasures.

A number of extraordinary collections came to NHM from the Chamber of Commerce, for example, and families including the Coronels, Temples, and del Valles. Rare objects, many of them never before displayed in public, will be on view from the Native American, Spanish colonial, Mexican, and early American periods, the emerging motion picture industry, early L.A. city and county government records, automotive and aviation history, and photographs that document the landscapes and communities of Southern California in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

The design and multimedia components of the new exhibition will give visitors the opportunity to get up close to the objects and hear the first-person stories that bore witness to the historic events that have shaped Los Angeles. Some of these stories are well-known, such as how the acquisition of water through the construction of the Los Angeles Aqueduct in 1913 influenced our contemporary suburban sprawl. Other natural and human influences might surprise visitors: how cattle, the Gold Rush, floods, plagues of grasshoppers, railroads, and outlandish booster campaigns all played a part in transforming the region into an agricultural empire."

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:31 PM

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 18, 2013 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:40 PM

originally post by unihikid

This photograph of Walter and Kate is beautiful. -thx for sharing.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
It was the entrance to the elevator:

c. 1904 closeup:

USC Digital Library -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si...id/2722/rec/25

D'oh! Seeing now how the tunnel and the elevator lined up here, I'm surprised I never put 2 and 2 together before. The Court House is being demolished at this time.

LAPL

In its later years, the tunnel was evidently used as storage space for court records of some sort. Seeing this rather less-than-ideal arrangement, it kinda makes me wonder why this stuff wasn't kept at, you know, the Hall of Records next door?

LAPL

LAPL

LAPL

Are those actually Sanborn maps that gentleman is perusing?

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 10:49 PM

So excellent! great finds Scott!

A very early postcard.

ebay

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 11:16 PM

Great pix Scott! Thx

The one below looks positively unsafe, not to mention claustrophobic and certainly unsuitable as a handicapped entrance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
Quote:
I love it e_r. How wonderfully cheerful :-)

Last edited by tovangar2; May 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 12:40 AM

This is one of my all time favorite photographs of Los Angeles bridges.

Eric Lassiter at http://www.flickr.com/photos/el-imag...n/pool-lariver

I believe we're looking south toward the 4th, 6th and 7th Street bridges respectively. (the photographer doesn't say)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 19, 2013 at 12:58 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 12:45 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6133468]This is one of my favorite photographs of Los Angeles bridges.

Sweet picture and so industrial with elegance of the bridge.

I have to say THANK YOU to all of you who post these pictures and stories and all the detective work, I look forward every day to what is posted here.

thanks!!

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 1:02 AM
I Like Turtles!

And not a Hyundai Dealer in Sight

Chuckaluck, I went looking for the Gardner Building that you posted a pic of....

and was pleased to find it still standing in fine (if not original) form.
Google.com/maps

You also posted the Wood & Jones Building and Saxon Dealer....

[/QUOTE]

The Wood & Jones Building is still there, at 139 West Colorado, just a couple of doors up from the Gardner Dealership. It looks as though they expanded the building at some point.
Google.com/maps

The former Saxon Dealership building is still there, too, at 127 West Colorado. Notice the uneven banks of windows on each half of the Saxon building, which exactly matches the old photo.
Google.com/maps

The former Ford Dealership is long gone, but it looks like much of the rest of the block is still holding the fort!

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco View Post
I have to say THANK YOU to all of you who post these pictures and stories and all the detective work, I look forward every day to what is posted here.

thanks!!
-glad you're enjoying noirish Los Angeles jaco.
__

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 1:36 AM
I Like Turtles!

Question Very curious

[QUOTE=MartinTurnbull;6132894]This is another image I found in the 1950 book "The Los Angeles Book." (Photographs by Max Yavno, text by Lee Shippey)

The fact that it was a Hebrew Christian Synagogue really caught my eye so I've been doing some googling but haven't turned up much other than the fact that it was established by someone called Arthur U. Michelson whose autobiography was called "Out of the Darkness into the Light: Life Story of Arthur U. Michelson." But I haven't been able to track down an address for this building.

Anyone...?

I wonder what they did after service....walk down to the deli for some Kosher bacon?

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 1:43 AM

I posted this earlier in the thread. -same place.

postcard/ebay
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 19, 2013 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 1:58 AM

It looks like the Mozley Detective Agency ordered up a sign to hang over the entrance to the 'Hollywood Citizen' Building.

from the Federal Heath Sign Co. archives

http://www.federalheath.com/

6362 Hollywood Boulevard today (I thought maybe we could see the brackets where the sign was attached) -if it was ever installed.

gsv

I failed to find 'Mozley Detectives' in any of the Los Angeles City Directories.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 19, 2013 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 2:48 AM

Quote:
originally post by unihikid

This photograph of Walter and Kate is beautiful. -thx for sharing.
No prob ER, i think i have enough BW stuff to write a book,so instead of that when ever its mentioned ill post something

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 3:33 AM

Quote:
This is one of my all time favorite photographs of Los Angeles bridges.

Eric Lassiter at http://www.flickr.com/photos/el-imag...n/pool-lariver

__
e_r, thank you so much for this one. Coming home by train from our many trips south to see cousins, my kids would be so excited to cross the river just south of E Washington before making the parallel run along their beloved river on the last leg to Union Station. They would be hopping up and down, counting off the bridges, watching fo their favorite bits of graffiti, squealing with anticipation, before the long, slow, somber loop around the Twin Towers and the slide into the station. They were always so thrilled to be home. Really happy memories for me. Absolutely beautiful. Thx.

In the photo it looks like all the graffiti has been painted out and the concrete drilled for plants.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
Thank for all that. I'm pretty well up on BW history but hardly knew any of this stuff about I. Magnin, especially about it and BW being THAT exclusive.
Absolutely. If you have the time to go scrolling back through this site, there are pictures of both stores. There are two good books on I. Magnin, one on the chain and one on the San Francisco Union Square store. There's another on BW. All three of them are full of exterior and interior photos. The stunning thing about BW and I. Magnin was that they took a contemporary approach to luxury - none of the faux French furniture and antique chandeliers. The fixtures were clean, modern, and stunning. We won't see the like of them again.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 5:52 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos