HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:58 PM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the plans are for the site for the existing courthouse building if the new building is approved? Is the plan to demolish the existing courthouse? I can see this becoming a major piece of real-estate given its proximity to the MCC and being on Broadway.
I haven't heard anything. My guess is they would keep it for other Federal Agencies (Social Security, Corps of Engineers, etc).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 10:38 PM

10th & Jefferson

The Nashville Post reported that MDHA has targeted late summer to start construction on a 54 unit apartment building at the corner of 10th and Jefferson Street.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2...eet_apartments

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 3:09 PM

Monroe Investments out of Chicago have revealed their plans for development of a large property on the east bank of the river about a mile north of downtown.

...per the Nashville Business Journal...

The plan shows a mixed-use development of a currently developed industrial and warehouse area. It will feature several 16 +/- residential buildings and similar sized office buildings. It will also include retail and a large building to support recording and provide sound stages for TV and movie production.

It is not a dense development and will include surface parking. But it will be a large improvement over what is there now.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2015, 12:07 AM

Cambria Suites Hotel has released a rendering for its Hotel on 8th Avenue at McGavock, 1/2 block from the Music City (Convention) Center. Apparently, they intend to start within a few weeks.

Edit; Apparently, the rendering a local business paper used without comment was of an existing Cambria in Washington DC. Fool me once...

Last edited by MidTenn1; Feb 21, 2015 at 3:45 PM. Reason: Wrong rendering.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 1:06 PM

An update on First Tennessee/Nashville Sounds Ballpark construction....

Due for a mid April opening; Home of the Oakland A's AAA Affiliate

Area construction...

Carillon Apartments (prime real estate ceded to the ball team owners for participation in ballpark construction financing)

Guitar shaped scoreboard under construction.(From the Tennessean).

Old Posted Feb 28, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Preach.

I'm not the biggest fan of BRT, at least as a primary form of rapid transit (I think that in Nashville's case it would be much more efficient in the long run to introduce street cars or light rail now rather than later), however AMP would have implemented the idea of rapid transit along West End which is what will be needed eventually.
I always thought the best part about AMP was the fact that it wasn't a regional system. It wasn't designed to get people in Madison or Bellevue or Antioch out of their cars, which is kind of a futile attempt at making suburbanites want to use public transport. Its elegance was that it focused on the city and only the city. We can all debate whether it should have been rubber or steel wheels (fair enough), but I think its route was fairly good. It didn't end in Belle Meade, it ended at White Bridge Road, which is a collection of midrise hospital and residential facilities. It was the viable end point, as would have been Green Hills if it chose that route.

The problem going forward is how to deal with the extremism coming out of the state government. They did pass a law (which I think if challenged in court could be thrown out, btw) that made it literally illegal to build public transport in the middle of a street. This is an entirely different layer of roadblocks to transit that had nothing to do with local, municipal opposition from the country club types on West End Ave who didn't want a bus getting rid of their turning lane (which many of those were probably Democrat for all I know, I doubt many of them care about the politics of transit per se, they just wanted their extra turn lane come hell or high water).

The biggest problem with the AMP failure - because of the state gov't's extreme action - is I worry how it affects other cities in Tennessee. Memphis already has a central rail circulator that is in process of renovation, it needs funding YESTERDAY since the trolley renovations aren't yet complete. LOL At least they can't retroactively create a law that makes a form of transit that already exists to be illegal... Since the state government has become a corrupt house of anti-government radicals, you can bet that any future transit project in Nashville, Memphis, Chattanooga will not follow traditional development models. It used to be 25/25/50 for a long time between local/state/federal spending. Transit projects in Tennessee will likely follow a 50/50 model: 50% local/municipal-county spending, 50% federal. That means higher property taxes are coming to Tennesseans across the board just on this issue alone, not even thinking of other issues.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Feb 28, 2015 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2015, 11:01 PM
Future God

Another week, another big announcement in Nashville. This time, it comes in the way of a 350K square foot, 24 story office building complete with underground parking and 24K square feet of ground level retail. It will be directly across from the new amphitheater and park on 1st Ave. What's even better, is that it will be eating one of the last remaining large parking lots in Sobro. A rendering has yet to be released.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...wn-office.html

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Another week, another big announcement in Nashville. This time, it comes in the way of a 350K square foot, 24 story office building complete with underground parking and 24K square feet of ground level retail. It will be directly across from the new amphitheater and park on 1st Ave. What's even better, is that it will be eating one of the last remaining large parking lots in Sobro. A rendering has yet to be released.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...wn-office.html
Should be a nice location for a 24 story building. However I cringe every time I read a developer stating that it will be a "world class building." Seems like every time that's said it ends up being another building that resembles something we've seen everywhere. I hope this time it will truly be a building that is unique and intriguing. In the Tennessean article I believe they used the term animate to describe how it will address the area. I'm not sure what that means either, but I'd really like to see something completely out of the box for that site. Especially as a back drop to the amphitheater.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 7:51 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Should be a nice location for a 24 story building. However I cringe every time I read a developer stating that it will be a "world class building." Seems like every time that's said it ends up being another building that resembles something we've seen everywhere. I hope this time it will truly be a building that is unique and intriguing. In the Tennessean article I believe they used the term animate to describe how it will address the area. I'm not sure what that means either, but I'd really like to see something completely out of the box for that site. Especially as a back drop to the amphitheater.

I couldn't agree more. It seems as though any time a project design is billed as "world class," it's almost as if they're trying to convince themselves of it.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I couldn't agree more. It seems as though any time a project design is billed as "world class," it's almost as if they're trying to convince themselves of it.
I know what you mean. This building will be 24 stories but it seems 350,000 square feet is a bit small for something that tall. Hines is known for quality, but nothing edgy or remarkable. Their project at 2525 West End gets mixed marks, not just because of its horrid parking lot in front. They build just what they have to build per zoning. The presence of Mr. Hayes in this project may not be anything more than his partial ownership by virtue of owning the site. From his comments on UP it's not possible to know if he truly is a design maven.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 8:27 PM

Regarding the 222 2nd Avenue Bldg...

AND....here's the world class rendering;

Um....?

2015 version of Parkway Towers...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM
Future God

Yeah...to say that it is an uninspired design would be an understatement. I'm not even sure I'd give it the distinction of calling it a 2015 version of Parkway Towers. Maybe a 1986 version of Parkway Towers, at best.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 2:18 PM

The "render" was for massing purposes ONLY.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2015, 10:02 PM

Huge sigh of relief about that thing not being the actual rendering. Think some of the Nashville built environment geeks were going to picket Gresham Smith.

After seeing the Shanghai tower that Gresham Smith designed and confirming that this isn't the actual rendering, I'm kind of excited to see the final design. This is such a visible piece of property that it practically demands something eye-catching.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2015, 7:32 PM

A home-made photoshop of how the proposed, 60 story Paramount would impact the downtown skyline....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
A home-made photoshop of how the proposed, 60 story Paramount would impact the downtown skyline....

Nashville is going to look like a brand new city. Just imagine how many logos have the Batman building dominating the skyline and now we are going to have the Paramount being the main focus.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2015, 10:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 1:17 PM

A couple of summaries of recent and proposed developments in Nashville.

The one in the lower right, crude rendering is the Crescendo. No begin date announced. The lower left is the recently opened, 12/12 Luxury Condos in the Gulch.

Does not include old Noel Hotel conversion and a few Boutique hotels planned around town.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2015, 3:50 AM

Small project at 15th and Church, but more infill. From the Tennessean..

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:03 AM

Some news about a proposed new development for the west side of downtown. Lifeway (formerly know as the Southern Baptist Convention) has put their 15 acre campus up for sale and apparently have reached a deal with a buyer'. An earlier article in the NBJ indicated the deal could be worth $125,000,000. Lifeway will use some of the money to build another office building somewhere downtown for its 1,300 employees.

From the Nashville Business Journal...

Quote:
“Although the buyers are still finalizing a master plan for the site, I understand their intention is for it to be a mixed-use development including office, retail, residential, entertainment and hotel,” Rainer said.
The 'Vatican City for the Baptist' includes quite an odd collection of building stock, much of which, I would presume to be removed if the development occurs as suggested in the article.

The Campus...

So downtown looks to get not only a 15 acre mixed-use development, it appears there will be another significant office building going up sometime soon.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Mar 25, 2015 at 7:58 PM. Reason: Per comments regarding actual scope.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations