HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 7:51 PM
Frigidus Maximus

And there's ANOTHER chick lying on her tummy in the background!

No wonder that guy is smiling...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 10:34 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post

Love how that chick it watching the Lakers. Lord knows the Knicks aren't doing anything. Lol.

But this tower is one of the few towers that HAS to go up. This is the first time I can honestly say that this tower is flawless.
Looks like they're playing the Knicks.

And what exactly is that guy eating that's so good he can't wait to sit down?
They should all be obsessed with the view.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 11:07 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Doesn't look like the coziest place in the world, though... a nice observatory, yes. But a place to live?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 12:24 AM
Ascension

That looks to be some sort of common area.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 12:39 AM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
That looks to be some sort of common area.
Looks more like a loft.

The floor height of that one looks to be over or in an around 20ft. I am anxious to see what a 1 bdrm would go for. I'm sure it would be out of my price range right now, but always something to think about.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 7:30 AM

I just noticed that the height of this tower is 1150'. From the renders I thought it was much less, so this will be really stunning in the skyline.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2008, 11:16 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Doesn't look like the coziest place in the world, though... a nice observatory, yes. But a place to live?
Like anything else, it would be as cozy as you make it. I find it more spectacular than most interiors.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 2:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Destined to join the 53rd Street canyon...
(January 6, 2008)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

An awesome canyon that is about to get more awesome!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:01 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This photo is simply OUTSTANDING!!! I'm sure I've posted on this thread before, but this photo .....I am awestruck. This will have as much an affect on the Manhattan skyline as Bank of America, if not an even greater impact.
This is one skyscraper that I am praying and crossing my fingers, that it will be constructed.

Hey New York, way to retaliate against Chicago!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 6:57 PM

Yeah, This Pic Is Just Awesome!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 1:50 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...j8c&refer=muse

Nouvel's Super-Tall MoMA Tower Represents Ode to Zoning Abuse

Review by James S. Russell

Jan. 9 (Bloomberg) -- Architect Jean Nouvel has designed an implausibly thin obelisk that would rise in crooked facets almost as high as the Empire State Building.

Thank New York zoning laws for this chic behemoth, which could cast some of Midtown's most prized and densely built blocks into darkness. Someday such abuse may become illegal.

The 75-story hotel and condo would be wedged between the Museum of Modern Art and 1330 Sixth Ave., a drab corporate tower typical of the 1960s. It's meant to rise to more than twice the height of nearby Museum Tower, which MoMA built in the 1980s, and will define a whole new scale in the neighborhood.

Its 1,200-foot (365-meter) height would cast MoMA's sculpture garden into almost perpetual shadow. Perhaps that's fitting, since MoMA sold the 17,000 square foot lot to developer Hines for $125 million a year ago. The deal allows the museum to add 50,000 square feet spread over three levels of the new building.

The real art in this deal, however, is the zoning. When MoMA Director Glen Lowry started talking up the sale, he said the site would support a development of about 210,000 square feet. Although much about the mix and final size of the building is still being worked out, a size greater than 500,000 square feet is bandied about.

How does Hines do it? Company officials wouldn't explain except to say that the buildable square footage already has been legally established. Exactly how it's done won't be publicly known until Houston-based Hines files for a required special permit, which it intends to do early this year.

Transfer of Rights

The building's height is mainly accomplished by a zoning device called transfer of development rights. This allows unbuilt space to be moved from above nearby landmark structures to Hines's site.

That said, Nouvel (who designed the 40 Mercer condominium in SoHo with Hines and Andre Balazs) offers up a glittering image of Manhattan in the comic-book image of Gotham.

Instead of opening onto a lobby, visitors cross a bridge suspended dramatically over sunken restaurants and bars. In what Hines calls a "seven star'' 100-room hotel, a spa pool slips between the dark diagonals of the building supports.

The zoning protects some daylight at the street frontages by requiring setbacks as the tower rises. In stacking some 120 condos in 53 floors atop the hotel, Nouvel bends and facets the surfaces to keep within the ever-narrowing, legally buildable envelope.

At most, one unit will fit in each of the super-luxe top 20 floors. Some will be united as duplex or triplex units to deliver enough useful space to justify the staggering (though not yet determined) prices.

Saving Daylight

Perched above Midtown, Nouvel's aeries will offer endless panoramas on two or three sides of each room. Nouvel's defiant coup de grace is to carry a skeletal spire above the penthouse to the point at which the planes of the setback lines meet.

For me, the trouble with Nouvel's design is not so much its great height -- those skinny high floors won't block many views or much light -- but the thick, looming, lower floors. It's not even leavened by the wind-scoured plazas that gather a few puddles of welcome sun along Sixth Avenue. It extends a worldwide trend toward thin, super-tall buildings that mix residential and commercial uses.

I'm drawn to Nouvel's imagery -- the Hines tower could make an extraordinary impression on the skyline. Still, it's time to stop the abuse of this zoning device in the latest race for the sky.

(James S. Russell is Bloomberg's U.S. architecture critic. The opinions expressed are his own.)

To contact the writer of this story: James S. Russell in New York at jamesrussell@earthlink.net .

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 4:56 PM
World Machine

Well I don't want sound like the 'Grim Reaper', but there is a chance we can kiss this one goodbye (or atleats some height).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:18 PM

This one isn't getting built for sure, I love the design though!
Instead, they should put it in that stupid gap in the skyline.

By the way, how is demand in Lower Manhattan for Commercial development?
The last I heard, there was none, hence the controversy over the New WTC.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 5:25 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
By the way, how is demand in Lower Manhattan for Commercial development? The last I heard, there was none, hence the controversy over the New WTC.
Have you been living underground for the last few years? The only time when there was a threat of commercial space vacating Lower Manhattan was directly after 9/11. In present time, there is high demand down there altering the construction of new residential and office towers. Many millions of commercial space is being constructed Downtown between the WTC and other office towers, as well as other corporations staying put, signing lease extensions.

Demand is getting higher than it has ever been all over the island, which is the reasoning behind the boom.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 7:55 PM

That's about as skinny as a 1200-footer can get. That thing is incapable of casting "blocks of prized Midtown land into perpetual darkness". Geez. Funny thing, those people usually happen to be the same whiny yuppie assholes that complain that Asia's development is way ahead of that of the United States. There is a number of various factors that make that statement true, but perhaps one of them is because they don't have as many whiny bastards that cry "Doom!" over anything taller than two stories.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 9:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
By the way, how is demand in Lower Manhattan for Commercial development? The last I heard, there was none, hence the controversy over the New WTC.
Please, if you're going to be that stupid, don't even bother to post.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 9:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Well I don't want sound like the 'Grim Reaper', but there is a chance we can kiss this one goodbye (or atleats some height).
Why would you say that? There is not height limit, which was the point of the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom
That's about as skinny as a 1200-footer can get. That thing is incapable of casting "blocks of prized Midtown land into perpetual darkness". Geez. Funny thing, those people usually happen to be the same whiny yuppie assholes that complain that Asia's development is way ahead of that of the United States.
Just someone bitter that there is no legal way to block this building from reaching that height. As we know, buildings in New York are usually limited in size, not height.

Quote:
Thank New York zoning laws for this chic behemoth, which could cast some of Midtown's most prized and densely built blocks into darkness.......Its 1,200-foot (365-meter) height would cast MoMA's sculpture garden into almost perpetual shadow.

The real art in this deal, however, is the zoning. When MoMA Director Glen Lowry started talking up the sale, he said the site would support a development of about 210,000 square feet. Although much about the mix and final size of the building is still being worked out, a size greater than 500,000 square feet is bandied about.

How does Hines do it? Company officials wouldn't explain except to say that the buildable square footage already has been legally established.

The building's height is mainly accomplished by a zoning device called transfer of development rights. This allows unbuilt space to be moved from above nearby landmark structures to Hines's site.

The zoning protects some daylight at the street frontages by requiring setbacks as the tower rises. In stacking some 120 condos in 53 floors atop the hotel, Nouvel bends and facets the surfaces to keep within the ever-narrowing, legally buildable envelope.

For me, the trouble with Nouvel's design is not so much its great height -- those skinny high floors won't block many views or much light -- but the thick, looming, lower floors. It's not even leavened by the wind-scoured plazas that gather a few puddles of welcome sun along Sixth Avenue. It extends a worldwide trend toward thin, super-tall buildings that mix residential and commercial uses.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 9:33 PM
Frigidus Maximus

"It's meant to rise to more than twice the height of nearby Museum Tower, which MoMA built in the 1980s, and will define a whole new scale in the neighborhood.

Its 1,200-foot (365-meter) height would cast MoMA's sculpture garden into almost perpetual shadow. Perhaps that's fitting, since MoMA sold the 17,000 square foot lot to developer Hines for $125 million a year ago. The deal allows the museum to add 50,000 square feet spread over three levels of the new building. "

Excuse me, but since is spitting distance of the Trump Tower and Rockefeller Center considered a low rise neighborhood?

This building isn't an abuse of zoning, it's an artful response to it. So the sculpture garden will be in "perpetual darkness." Most of the "art" there deserves to be in the dark anyway, and at any rate, statues don't really need sunlight in which to grow, do they? (sarcasm intended)

I'm shocked that an architecture critic of all people would object to this stunning true work of art for NY's skyline on the basis of zoning conformance.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 9:38 PM

The author is all confused. He is stating the allowable base zoning for that small site.

You can reach the planned square footage by transferring large blocks of air rights (like from the rest of the MOMA site, which covers most of the very long block between 5th and 6th).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive