HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 3:12 AM

Alright, nice! That's a pretty cool building coming up, and MoMA is a fantastic museum. Good stuff!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:57 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 12:08 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

How far up would you say they are now based on that model?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezrezc View Post
How far up would you say they are now based on that model?
I would put it around 750 ft or so...

dansshots

Stiller Beobachter

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:18 PM

Verre's construction has tapered up into a very thin section . .
It doesn't look as if this building has that much further to climb . .

I am a little shocked by this design-paragon's quality . .
the renderings were simply revolutionary design . .
So I originally thought we were getting this super high-quality building
made from structurally robust corten-like steal . . angled crossbeams
much more dominant & prominent on the facade than what's going on here . .
with high-quality super flat, darkly tinted glass . .
and of course much taller . . (thanks Amander !) . .
This building will be barely visible, if at all,
from most vantage points in Central Park . .

So here we have this tinny surface metal, that's thin & cheap . .
It's paler than I envisioned from the original renderings . .
Concrete crossbeams sheathed in tan-tinfoil ? . .
and cheap bubbly reflective mirrored glass . . really ? . .
I mean, huge let down . .

But most important to to me, is a buildings shape on the skyline . .
and this tower seems to be delivering on that front . .
thank God . . now I'll tell you how I really feel . .

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:25 PM

^^ facade's quality-wise, just about how I feel!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

umm, yeah.

perhaps.

perhaps not.

i am going to withold judgement and wait and see.

in particular for this building more so than for others, it's not really the type of facade that looks its best mid-construction...!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:51 PM
New Yorker for life

The facade is fine. The building is fine. There's a critic for everything. But make no mistake, this one is definitely a beauty and future landmark. I can't think of a building going up anywhere better suited to its city design-wise.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2...l_bascomb.html

Quote:
You probably know, and can clearly picture, the now-classic, art deco style of the Chrysler Building: the steel-clad arches, the sunburst triangular windows, the hood ornament-style eagles, and the hubcap friezes. (It was made for a car guy, after all.) But it’s doubtful you’ve even heard of the Manhattan Co. Building. This is probably because it’s now called 40 Wall Street or the Trump Building, but also because the design just never took hold in the public consciousness. This was not the case when the buildings were first completed. The Chrysler Building was universally panned and the Manhattan Co. Building got great reviews from architecture critics.

Again, there's a critic for everything.

(repost from earlier)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbkXvGOg...=parisian.mode

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:20 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

who can really complain about gotham getting an actual batman approved tower such as this? not to speak for the batman, but, CAHMAAN! BATMAN WOULD FREAKIN LOVE THIS! i defy anyone to tell me they can't picture the batmobile popping out of the garage here. amirite?!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:42 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The facade is fine. The building is fine. There's a critic for everything. But make no mistake, this one is definitely a beauty and future landmark. I can't think of a building going up anywhere better suited to its city design-wise.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2...l_bascomb.html

Again, there's a critic for everything.

(repost from earlier)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BbkXvGOg...=parisian.mode

You're not the be-all-end-all of criticism and opinion. It's not fine for everyone. Though it is a splendor to my eyes, it can be so-so and less so to others.

The facade is very John Hancock-esque to me. It'd probably fit just as well in Chicago as it does in NYC.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
You're not the be-all-end-all of criticism and opinion. It's not fine for everyone. Though it is a splendor to my eyes, it can be so-so and less so to others.

The facade is very John Hancock-esque to me. It'd probably fit just as well in Chicago as it does in NYC.
I am the end. And I'm not just talking about the facade.

Quote:
I can't think of a building going up anywhere better suited to its city design-wise.
Read the statement correctly. I'm talking about the tower itself when it comes to the city. And no, this isn't a tower that screams "Chicago", nor would it particularly fit there.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The pic's don't do justice. This is a gem. Its also unique because quite frankly, there isn't a tower close to it in the city or even remotely analogous to it. This, and if I may use a smaller example, Ingel's Pyramid, stand out due to their uniqueness. It also deviates itself from neighboring towers.

The only bad part about this tower is the location. Too busy for it to really stand out. It falls short of its presence as its swallowed up 2/3's by the mass that is Midtown. Had something like this risen in DoBro or suppose along the East River, it would of had more of a striking hit on the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 3:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The pic's don't do justice. This is a gem. Its also unique because quite frankly, there isn't a tower close to it in the city or even remotely analogous to it. This, and if I may use a smaller example, Ingel's Pyramid, stand out due to their uniqueness. It also deviates itself from neighboring towers.

The only bad part about this tower is the location. Too busy for it to really stand out. It falls short of its presence as its swallowed up 2/3's by the mass that is Midtown. Had something like this risen in DoBro or suppose along the East River, it would of had more of a striking hit on the skyline.

Location is bad for prominence, but from the right angle you can get both of those towers...

AreKev

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
in particular for this building more so than for others, it's not really the type of facade that looks its best mid-construction...!
Completely agree! Holding off until can get some squeegees n windex over those windows/panels.

Also, do we know if the surface materials are expected to weather/patina, not sure what finish they decided on the metal, it appears not.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 1:19 AM
New Yorker for life

It's not the tallest, but it'll still have great views!...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcDpm7qBwqj/?tagged=53w53

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 10:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post

agree about the facade to some extent, but the design of the bldg, which is the bigger deal, is clearly neo-gothic, so its more appropriate for gotham city.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 4:58 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You have to admit though, the facade would be 10x better if the cross-bracing was embossed from the glass as it was at the base (and like the John Hancock Building). Regardless I still think it's amazing.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
You have to admit though, the facade would be 10x better if the cross-bracing was embossed from the glass as it was at the base (and like the John Hancock Building). Regardless I still think it's amazing.
It might look a little better, but even then, just barely. From some if the other renders, I don't know that to be the case. Anyway, it's the tower's form that is the most striking thing about it. You could see it without the bracing being clearly visible at all, and it would be just as striking.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:26 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Plus the added feature--assuming it's still a go--of the tri-colored apex.

Gold on one side, silver on the other and all black in the middle.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive