HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 10:38 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

What are the worst neighborhoods in Atlanta?

Also, how is the crime rate overall in the city and metro area?

Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 3:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
Also, how is the crime rate overall in the city and metro area?

Thanks.
I think i can help. First, Atlanta HAD the worst murder rate in the 60/70s for a while, & ONE OF the worst crime rates still today.

However, it truly depends on what AREA you're looking at. ATL is split (sort of) by the NORTHERN parts (Midtown, Buckhead, Atlantic Station, Vinings, Sandy Springs, Doraville, etc.) and the SOUTHERN parts (East Point, Downtown, College Park, Hapeville, etc.)

The NORTHERN Parts are nicer, safer, more developed, and the SOUTHERN parts are, how should i say, NOT.

Despite what tourists usually think, the BEST things to do & places to see are NOT downtown - the touristy things like GA Aquarium, Coca Cola, CNN, GA Dome, etc. are great but the real "Atlanta" is in other parts.

Tip - dont go to the southern parts of downtown/MLK neighborhood at night, period. I tried that a few times, once had 3 guys try to overtake my car on Auburn Avenue (MLK's orig. home). Dealers, homeless, crack & heroin addicts, "gangs" and fewer police than you can imagine. It SUCKS there. And if you go West of DT too far you get into even worse neighborhoods, one where i was afraid of driving in the DAY, and never went back. South of there is East Point & College park - they SUCK, period. Last week, a drive by shooting INTO a KFC where i used to work. Sucks.

However, MIDTOWN has only gotten more developed, more upscale, more urban, more hip, with cooler architecture - all in the last 10 or 15 years - TONS safer than then. GA Tech campus (superb), BEAUTIFUL Ansley Park wiht upscale homes, eclectic modern restaurants & clubs - just stay around Peachtree Street & you'd be fine at night.

ATLANTIC STATION is booming, only 3 years old & already has like 12 restaurants (fast food to diners to upscale to modern, all there), sweet architecture with 5 skyscrapers, its own Paris style arch, AWESOME upscale apartments/condos with super cool modern blue, green, orange & red accents on the exteriors. A Target & ATLs only Ikea store. LOVE it there!

Head north on Peachtree you'll be in BEAUTIFUL, beyond upscale, & sophisticated, modern, ritzy, classy & tastefull BUCKHEAD, the Bevery Hills/Upper East Side of the Southeast. $300,000 - 20 MILLION dollar homes, condos, and mansions with some of the larges (on average) yards in the world are scattered over 40 square miles of this area. Peachtree Street is the main focal street of the area, much like Wilshire is to Beverly Hills & Fifth Avenue is to the UES. Over 200 restaurants in the area, the BEST & most upscale in the southeast are here. TWO of the most upscale malls in the South are here, adjacent to eachother in fact: Lenox Mall (new money) & Phipps Plaza (old money). A new developement called Streets of Buckhead is opening next year as the "Rodeo Drive" of the Southeast, & is gonna have nearly 80 restaurants & very upscale retailers. making Buckhead the supreme shopping destination in the city. It also has the best overall hotels, including Mansion on Peachtree ($400/night+), W Buckhead, & the new St. Regis. Toping it off is wonderfully sophisticated architecture that shames even some of the newer developments in cities like LA, Chicago, Miami & New York. This helps to make the new Buckhead skyline the best of the best of all "US subcities". Basically Buckhead is where it's at if you've got money. Oh, and your chances of getting mugged or shot in downtown BH, are about as great as - well it's not gonna happen.

Finally, just north, north west of Buckhead is VININGS & SANDY SPRINGS (not technically part of ATL but wouldnt be anything without us so it's still ATL). These are ALSO pretty upscale, more suburban luxury areas of the city. Lots of highrises, lush townhome developments, beautiful homes & 2 awesome malls, Cumberland Mall & Perimiter Mall.

Oh, yea thanks to the "moneys" heading north from ATL, "metro" ATL has expanded as far north (directly) as ALPHARETTA. Never spent a lot of time there, but if you want true suburbia combined with "white picket fence Mr. Rogers meets 90210 money" - Alpharetta is IT. Farmland was here 10 years ago, but now it's morphed into a wonderful suburbia with thousands of NEW & BEAUTIFUL homes & mcmansions could make even old money Mansion owners of ATL jelous. True place to raise a family, expecially if you want to be FAR from crime!

Point is, in my opinion, Atlanta's BEST places to live/be are around MIDTOWN, ATLANTIC STATION, BUCKHEAD, VININGS, SANDY SPRINGS, & Alpharetta, in those general areas. The money's there, the history's usually there, the LIFE is there. Oh, and look on the picture forums for "buckhead" photos, if you haven't seen it's skyline & architecture yet, it's a can't miss!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 11:36 PM

Gawd, that was annoying. Sorry, I know that wasn't constructive to the topic but I just had to say it. I do not believe that I stand alone with that opinion as well.....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 1:23 AM

Lets see you forget some of the up and coming areas in West Midtown or the Douglas County hill area with easy access to the city from relatively un-congested I-20, or the very suburban and great city to raise a family in (I live here) Powder Springs, or if you want a nice area with tons of trees and for the most part unpretentious people, Hiram or Douglasville or even Marietta. Then in the south metro a true suburb that knocks the pants off Alpharetta, Peachtree City an area with equally Upper Middle class shopping and homes. Or the beautiful and largely unMcMansionized Chattahoochee Hill country. In the southwest of Atlanta the Cascade road areas heading west. Very lush and very very beautiful homes and pretty decent schools. Not to mention the suburbs of Duluth and Sugarloaf some parts of stone mountain. There are fantastic areas to live in from the northern burbs to the south, eastern to the western and yes dare I say downtown and the intown neighborhoods.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 10:58 PM

god damn that's one idiot homer

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 11:54 PM

who me? Sometimes I am.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 7:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTviajero81 View Post
Gawd, that was annoying. Sorry, I know that wasn't constructive to the topic but I just had to say it. I do not believe that I stand alone with that opinion as well.....
GEE, maybe tell us WHY it was annoying, instead of just bitching.

Is it b/c you dont like the fact that i highlighted AFFLUENT areas? Should i have dumbed it down to be politically correct & please everybody? Yea you're right, maybe tourist reviews in forbes magazine should include Compton & South Central as a "must see" in LA & South Bronx for NYC.

???

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 3:59 PM

I couldn't believe that was really happening. I had to read it twice.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 4:35 PM
100% Right 50% Of Time

I wonder what the worst neighborhood of Wheeling is? Oh yeah... Wheeling.

But in all seriousness, do some research if you really want to know why (which is beyond me). Go to the Atlanta PD website & view the crime map. Scroll through neighborhood images on Google Map Streetview. But all you are ever going to get here is a biased opinion, because what really is "worst neighborhood", it's in the eye of the beholder.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 5:35 PM

It is subjective. I can't say I agree with NYClife's analysis completely, but he does make some good points. Atlanta's northern suburbs are gorgeous and are clearly one of this area's strongest selling points.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 5:47 PM

Yes they are nice. I think he brought up good points as well, but the way he devalued all the other burbs and areas in the metro put some off.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 8:37 PM

I wonder what wheeling was wondering by using "worst"? Overall? Highest crime? Accessability, walkability? I guess we are gearing our answers off of overall. There are countless urban neighborhoods in Atlanta with their high and low points. Surely there is some factoring system that brings these to the surface. Consumer Reports does a good job comparing merchandise with an easy to read graph. I'm just coffee-typing. I apologize. Anyway, my point; Buckhead which is surely shiny and booming, is also hell to get around for pedestrians. Alpharetta may be nice, but factor in the distance to the inner-city. I live in East Atlanta, but would I want my kids to go to the schools here? East Point, College Park, and Decatur all have some positive things going for their respectable downtowns (not comparing the three). NYClife does bring a bird's eye view to many neighborhoods laden with bias. Wheeling of Pittsburgh, Atlanta is a great city overall, hence our rapid growth. But as all cities there is ying and yang. Check out some of the above mentioned sites before you are sold on someones personal preferences.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwest281 View Post
who me? Sometimes I am.
no

Old Posted Mar 2, 2009, 1:40 PM

heheh Well cool

So on this threads theme has anyone found any new neighborhoods or areas which seem to be taking off or on the cusp of taking off?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClife2005 View Post

Is it b/c you dont like the fact that i highlighted AFFLUENT areas? Should i have dumbed it down to be politically correct & please everybody? Yea you're right, maybe tourist reviews in forbes magazine should include Compton & South Central as a "must see" in LA & South Bronx for NYC.

???
It was ANNOYING because you CAPITALIZE every other WORD in everything you type, all THE time.

Anyway, bankhead is the worst neighborhood in atlanta. Hands down.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClife2005 View Post

???
NYClife2005 remember to stay on topic and only say negative things about development, archictecture and especially Atlanta and its sprawl and lack of any urban life! hehe

* Note: No positive remarks aloud!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 9:07 PM

Now to answer the question the forum was comprised of.
The west side of the city proper is the worst crime wise, especially the NW side. South side of town near langford is getting a lot of relocation of the former section 8 residents whose communities have been closed. In the main part of the city I think probably the Boulevard corridor is the worst in terms of drug activity and such. My personal opinion is that one of the worst crime areas in the metro is outside the city limits in areas of unincorporated south dekalb county.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantan26 View Post
My personal opinion is that one of the worst crime areas in the metro is outside the city limits in areas of unincorporated south dekalb county.
What's up with that? I know lots of people who grew up in south DeKalb and it used to be a really solid area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta