HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 9:57 PM

Escape Rooms seem to popular in Winnipeg. I was surprised when doing a google search on them to find there are 10 in Winnipeg. They seem to be booked solid too..at least the ones I checked online were.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
agreed was there once didnt think much of the place seemed half ass put together
Almost every such outdoor entertainment/amusement place around here seems absolutely half-assed. I'm not expecting Disney quality here, but honestly, so much of what there is looks like home-brew stuff built by some guy who learned by watching Youtube videos.

I'm guessing it's a climate thing given that our months-long deep freeze means that your costs are the same as anyone else's but you're effectively only bringing in money for maybe 5 months of the year.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 8:36 PM

I heard a rumour that Loveday is currently working with the City to find suitable land for a new factory. Apparently they agree that the current setup is not ideal for other people in the area and they don't want to be seen as a burden, but they need to find an option that makes good business sense first and foremost.

With Central Grain now gone, if Loveday were to relocate, there could be some massive positive transformations to that area if executed right.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:01 PM

I was driving by P&M the other night and from what I could tell, it looked like the Scotiabank offices were either vacant or in the process of being vacated... does anyone know what's going on in there? I thought Scotia was staying put even though they're taking up space at TNS.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 2:10 PM
What could go wrong?

Renovations I think.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I was driving by P&M the other night and from what I could tell, it looked like the Scotiabank offices were either vacant or in the process of being vacated... does anyone know what's going on in there? I thought Scotia was staying put even though they're taking up space at TNS.
Scotia is keeping some people there for sure, but not all of the space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Renovations I think.
The new owner is putting his own company in as well, which should account for the higher floors in the future. The building needs renovations throughout, regardless.

Either way, TNS isn't done yet so Scotia hasn't (?) relocated yet... have they?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2018, 7:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=43091

February 8, 2018
MANITOBA INVITES RECOMMENDATIONS TO INCREASE ACCESS TO VENTURE CAPITAL
– – –
Helping Small, Medium-sized Enterprises to Invest, Build, Grow: Pedersen

The Manitoba government has issued a request for information (RFI) for an access to capital strategy and a request for pre-qualifications (RFPQ) for venture capital fund proposals to contribute to the development of a bold and modern new economic growth strategy, Growth, Enterprise and Trade Minister Blaine Pederson announced today.

“Attracting new investment and increasing access to job creating venture capital are a key part of our 10-point economic growth plan,” said Pedersen. “We knew when we formed government there was no provincial economic development strategy. Work is now well underway to change that.”

These next steps build on the government-commissioned report by Deloitte LLP that undertook a comprehensive review of Manitoba’s economic development efforts, and will support the work of Dave Angus, former CEO of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce and entrepreneur Barb Gamey, a member of the Premier’s Enterprise Team, tocraft the new provincial economic growth strategy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:17 PM

Brian Pallister is really delivering to his home riding since becoming premier if you read between the lines a bit. Almost a billion dollars worth of investment into the area announced in less than a year ain't so bad! Roquette: $400 mil and now Simplot ~$450 mil.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...474056263.html

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:25 PM

^It's an interesting move for Simplot to expand operations in Portage La Prairie just as Trump is banging the drum about NAFTA. Speculation was that Simplot was going to open another plant in Washington State, but instead they announced the Portage expansion. From what I understand, this plant make French fries mainly for the US market (McDonalds and possibly other US fast food chains). Can't figure out why a US company would expand in Canada given the uncertainty about NAFTA. Perhaps they know something we don't.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 10:30 PM

Noticed on the Bid Opportunities section of the city website that a large number of the tenders have been revised to add an optional section on Indigenous Identification. They city wants to know if bidders are owned by 51% or more (either singly or a group) by people of indigenous background.

At this time the city says that it is only for statistical purposes and will not count towards awarding of the contract being tendered.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
noticed on the bid opportunities section of the city website that a large number of the tenders have been revised to add an optional section on indigenous identification. They city wants to know if bidders are owned by 51% or more (either singly or a group) by people of indigenous background.

At this time the city says that it is only for statistical purposes and will not count towards awarding of the contract being tendered.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 12:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

stats can is asking for data from civic governments on this stuff these days eventualy prolly would play a role in some contract awarding

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Noticed on the Bid Opportunities section of the city website that a large number of the tenders have been revised to add an optional section on Indigenous Identification. They city wants to know if bidders are owned by 51% or more (either singly or a group) by people of indigenous background.

at my company, all our USA suppliers are classified as "minority owned", "women owned" "veteran owned" and we report this back to the US Feds as part of the military contracts we are awarded. It's nothing new to classify your suppliers.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^It's an interesting move for Simplot to expand operations in Portage La Prairie just as Trump is banging the drum about NAFTA. Speculation was that Simplot was going to open another plant in Washington State, but instead they announced the Portage expansion. From what I understand, this plant make French fries mainly for the US market (McDonalds and possibly other US fast food chains). Can't figure out why a US company would expand in Canada given the uncertainty about NAFTA. Perhaps they know something we don't.
Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with the $8 million they are getting from the province and Manitoba Hydro. From the FP article:

"The province's incentive package includes tax-increment financing up to $6.31 million to assist with anticipated capital investments and road improvements. Manitoba will also contribute $522,000 toward employee training.

Manitoba Hydro will provide $1 million in PowerSmart program funding for electrical and natural gas efficiency projects, based on the plant meeting program guidelines."

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Brian Pallister is really delivering to his home riding since becoming premier if you read between the lines a bit. Almost a billion dollars worth of investment into the area announced in less than a year ain't so bad! Roquette: $400 mil and now Simplot ~$450 mil.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...474056263.html
87 more full-time jobs. Not bad, not bad at all.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
87 more full-time jobs. Not bad, not bad at all.
A strong TransCanada corridor from Steinbach to Virden is win-win for the whole province!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:39 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

WooHoo!

This week or last TD Bank now allows (again) smaller denom. $ than $20.

You can now withdraw 5, 10, 20, even 50 from a TD Bank ATM.

Used to be able to do $10, unlike the other banks.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
WooHoo!

This week or last TD Bank now allows (again) smaller denom. $ than $20.

You can now withdraw 5, 10, 20, even 50 from a TD Bank ATM.

Used to be able to do $10, unlike the other banks.
I understand that BoM is starting to convert some of their ATM's as well to dispense smaller bills. I was told that there is one doing that in the BoM branch at Main and Inkster,

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 6:46 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

police credit union in the exchange does first 20$ in 5$ bills

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
police credit union in the exchange does first 20$ in 5$ bills
Anyone know if they're closing that location? They're building a branch in the skywalk of the new police building but it looks pretty small. At the same time would be weird to continue operating in the exchange when the police have left.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan