HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Bill, I checked out the other photos you have on your Flickr link. Very nice!
Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbo0 View Post
I've been reading this topic for years but still didn't succeed in picking up on the large amount of posts passing here. I'm somewhere halfway I guess lol. I've posted some then/now's before but now -about a year later- I have a few more I'd like to share with you, especially some aerials. If they are posted before I apologize.

More to come!

Sources:
The Regents Of The University of California.
USC.
Love "then/now" sets, or putting the "then" picture in the "now" picture. I often look at what's there now when folk post old shots here.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Love "then/now" sets, or putting the "then" picture in the "now" picture. I often look at what's there now when folk post old shots here.
Here's one for you Bill. I drove by 45 S Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena the other day and was intrigued by this building.

GSV

Here is the "before" when the address was 45 S. Broadway (with plaster and top deck).

HDL

I love those trucks.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Fantastic post Jumbo0!! Thank you so much.

In #7, it appears the wonderfully distinctive building is still standing. I don't recall seeing it before.
It makes me wonder if the arched top portion of that grand doorway is still there, hidden under that awful siding.

If only we could walk inside and look up.

_
It looks like they took a couple of feet of the building

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 4:26 PM

Winsel Gibbs Seed Catalog, Los Angeles [1925]

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Charles Winsel was born in Belgium in 1868. He came to the US in 1887. He and his partner had a retail seed store in the Rueder block on Main Street downtown. They also had a nursery at 509 E. Third, and from the info on the sign, another at Main and 49th. Charles Winsel, in 1920- 1930 lived with his wife Bertha at 642 N. Jackson, Glendale. The Glendale address appears to be apartments now. The 509 E. Third address is parking lots, and possibly part of the property of the Buddist Temple.

Robert Gibbs was born in June of 1894. He had been an employee of Charles Winsel and after he served in WWI, he became the junior partner in the seed business. His house, where he lived in 1930 at 4301 Kenwood Avenue, in Los Angeles, is still there and appears to be in good repair. This house was only a dozen blocks or so from the location of the nursery at Main and 49th
oldstuff, I almost forgot to thank you for the information on Winsel & Gibbs. THANK YOU.

Winsel-Gibb also had a small store at 211 S Main Street. (from the same 1925 seed catalog)

ebay

mentions "Our Store" at lower left.

mailer

The Winsel-Gibb store space today.

gsv

directly across from St. Vibiana's

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 12, 2017 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 4:58 PM

This intriguing photograph was published in the April 21, 1908 Los Angeles Herald (without an accompanying story)

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc

I was god-smacked by the extreme depth of this tunnel....1,300 feet!

So did this tunnel have anything to do with the old Buena Vista Reservoir that was built in Elysian Park in 1876
or is this 'tunnel' connecting to Silver Lake reservoir?

And where, pray-tell, was the pump house located? I thought it would be some distance from Elysian Park. (or maybe I'm not understanding how reservoirs work)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 18, 2017 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Another January 15 approaches – and if Elizabeth Short doesn’t define noirish – I’d be remiss if it passed unnoticed.

Up to the last Hollywood address of Elizabeth Short. The Chancellor (at 1842 Cherokee Avenue.)

A tale of two Chancellors?

The Chancellor is listed as "Apartments" in several '30s and '40s CDs. Apparently unrelated, there is another "Chancellor," some five miles away, at 3191 West Seventh Street. (Seventh and Berendo.) The "Chancellor Hotel" structure has been there since '24. Wonder how many cabbies exclaimed, "I thought you meant the other one."

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/68586

https://cdngeneral.rentcafe.com/dmsl...333&scale=both

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/32880

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 9:02 PM

1842 N Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

Continuing the theme, here is the Chancellor in 2017, 70 years after the Elizabeth Short murder. It suffered a parapet correction, ditched the signage, gained some greenery and got a new name, "Chateau Hollywood":

gsv

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 11:22 PM

Black Dahlia

Don't think anyone here has mentioned the brand-new book about the Black Dahlia. The improbably named British author and TV producer Piu Eatwell claims (as most of them do) to solve the murder of Elizabeth Short in "Black Dahlia, Red Rose."
Eatwell fingers a suspect I was not familiar with named Leslie Dillon, and thinks the murder was committed at The Aster Motel on Figueroa Street.

The Aster Motel, a definite step down from the Chancellor.
https://ladailymirror.files.wordpres...ng?w=684&h=483

I've only read some reviews of the book, but apparently she claims that Dillon was a friend of the infamous Mark Hansen, part-owner of The Florentine Gardens nightclub, whose home on Carlos Avenue was a kind of rooming house for attractive young women. Eatwell believes that Hansen was intensely jealous of Short and ordered his psychopathic accquaintance Dillon to get rid of her. (Sounds like a shaky premise to me). Supposedly Hansen had dirt on members of the police department, who in turn arranged a cover-up when attention turned to Dillon and his connection to Hansen.
Eatwell has impressive credentials and The Times of London gave her book a good review - but the L.A. Times' Larry Harnisch totally dismisses her theory, thinks it's preposterous...and so it goes.

Here is a very sensationalized review of "Black Dahlia, Red Rose" in The Mirror UK:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...blood-11161233

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Eatwell has impressive credentials and The Times of London gave her book a good review - but the L.A. Times' Larry Harnisch totally dismisses her theory, thinks it's preposterous...and so it goes.

Here is a very sensationalized review of "Black Dahlia, Red Rose" in The Mirror UK:
Larry Harnish says HE has the last word on the murder and probably doesn't appreciate others' opinions.

The Times (London) review is at:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...well-lhvptx2pn

(Man, I so don't have a dog in this fight)

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 13, 2017 at 2:03 AM. Reason: spelling. I can't

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Continuing the theme, here is the Chancellor in 2017, 70 years after the Elizabeth Short murder. It suffered a parapet correction, ditched the signage, gained some greenery and got a new name, "Chateau Hollywood":

gsv
There an excellent photo of the Chancellor on Cherokee Avenue from 1947 on

http://www.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Don't think anyone here has mentioned the brand-new book about the Black Dahlia. The improbably named British author and TV producer Piu Eatwell claims (as most of them do) to solve the murder of Elizabeth Short in "Black Dahlia, Red Rose."
Eatwell fingers a suspect I was not familiar with named Leslie Dillon, and thinks the murder was committed at The Aster Motel on Figueroa Street.

The Aster Motel, a definite step down from the Chancellor.
https://ladailymirror.files.wordpres...ng?w=684&h=483

I've only read some reviews of the book, but apparently she claims that Dillon was a friend of the infamous Mark Hansen, part-owner of The Florentine Gardens nightclub, whose home on Carlos Avenue was a kind of rooming house for attractive young women. Eatwell believes that Hansen was intensely jealous of Short and ordered his psychopathic accquaintance Dillon to get rid of her. (Sounds like a shaky premise to me). Supposedly Hansen had dirt on members of the police department, who in turn arranged a cover-up when attention turned to Dillon and his connection to Hansen.

Nice theory, but Betty Short mostly sponged off acquaintances. She wouldn't have la
sted a day n that place.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
There an excellent photo of the Chancellor on Cherokee Avenue from 1947 on

http://www.theblackdahliainhollywood.com/
Thx BDiH. Nice.

(about 3/4th of the way down the page in the right-hand column)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 11:28 PM

Whoa... I walk past this place every day. Thank you for the great find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
Here's one for you Bill. I drove by 45 S Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena the other day and was intrigued by this building.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 6:09 AM

S Raymond Pasadena

If I'm not mistaken this building went from Victorian to Deco.....wonder what happened to the bowling alley inside? I may have to go snooping.

HDL

GSV

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 6:51 AM

686 Carondelet, 1902-1976

The Feuerborn home was on the NE corner of 7th and Carondelet, which jogs to the west above 7th.
The following two images are from the January 26, 1902, Los Angeles Times:

ProQuest via LAPL

Here is the front of the house, from Carondelet:

This is the back of the house, with the garage at right, from 7th Street:

(Both) The Inland Architect and News Record Vol 45 No 3 April 1905 @ HathiTrust

1904 LA City Directory @ fold3.com

1906 Sanborn:

ProQuest via LAPL

1950 Sanborn; I don't know when 686 Carondelet became a restaurant:

ProQuest via LAPL

In 1963, 686 Carondelet was a french restaurant:

July 29, 1963, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

February 9, 1964, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Boccard's gave way to Helene's:

June 17, 1966, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Here is 686 Carondelet at the center of this 1968 aerial that looks NW:

DW-87-54-B26-ISLA at USCDL

The demo permit for 686 Carondelet is dated April 16, 1976. t2 already showed us what's there now
(the wide building just below center):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I wanted to note that there is a whole village of pretty buildings extending south from the Hayward-Thomas Building and Carondelet House, along Coronado and Carondelet and on W 7th Street. It doesn't look much from the air, but the streetscape is excellent.

google maps

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Oct 3, 2018 at 3:46 AM. Reason: stupid photobucket

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 8:33 AM

Yes, that's Parkview Terrace Apartments, for seniors I'm told. Thank you FW for the history of the site.

gsv 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
In #7, it appears the wonderfully distinctive building is still standing. I don't recall seeing it before.
It makes me wonder if the arched top portion of that grand doorway is still there, hidden under that awful siding.

If only we could walk inside and look up.

_

Did we discuss the barrel-shaped building to the right of the garage in the 1932 image before?

The auto body shop is now vacant and "ripe for redevelopment", as they say:

gsv 2017

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post

GSV

Here is the "before" when the address was 45 S. Broadway (with plaster and top deck).

HDL

I love those trucks.
Good one! As recently as 2006, this used to be my gym, back when it was a
Bally Total Fitness; it closed and became vacant after Bally closed and was bought out by 24 Hour Fitness.

And, I used to work with someone who told me that in the 1970s, this building used to be a high-end car dealership, but she didn't remember what brand; I think it might've been a dealership owned by Rusnak, who has other dealerships in Pasadena on Colorado Boulevard, near the western end of Old Town Pasadena.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:21 AM

Dr. Meyers Nervine and Mdme. Brady's Female Compound

Browsing through random Calisphere.org pictures I found the following, captioned "1957 - candidate for slum clearance, 1st and Central":

calisphere.org

It looks like the Brunswig Square building is peeking over from the next block, so we're looking at the SW corner of 1st and Central:

GSV

I think that water tower has been seen in other photos here. A few letters are legible: "__C PUR_". Looking for a Sanborn map of where I thought the tank would be, I found:

lapl.org

This shows a tank belonging to the Purepac Corporation, which was a pharmaceutical manufacturer based in New York. The lettering is hard to read, I think it might say "45,000 gal steel spklr ?? Elev. 60' abv ?? filled from city main by 120 gpm elec cent pump tank not in use"

The Purepac Corporation had a mixed reputation, being the object of enforcement actions and court cases:

US Nat'l Library of Medicine

As a physician, I'm intrigued by such things as Dr. Meyers Nervine and Mdme Brady's Female Compound. I am guessing the former caused bromism (chronic bromine intoxication) which paradoxically causes the symptoms it purportedly was used to cure.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:34 AM

Hey guys, this ghost sign was revealed last week on Broadway during the conversion of a space to WSS Shoes.

545 S Broadway - 'HARTFIELD'S' - I can't find any vintage images showing the space or that sign. Would love to see some.

WSS Shoes / Hartfields? by Hunter, on Flickr

WSS Shoes / Hartfields? by Hunter, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos