HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:37 PM
BANNED

What? The building was just on the list to be designated. Are you sure it is being demolished? Definitely no loss, and this corner deserves a stunning infill.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That actually sounds awesome. The current use of the space always struck me as pretty underwhelming. I mean, the patio is nice, but it should be so much more for a signature corner like that.

In my view, contemporary architecture complements historical buildings quite nicely. The worst thing is faux historic design that makes the area feel like a theme park or stage set.
A square glass box is certainly not going to compliment the immediate surroundings. This parcel of land is the major vista point when standing in Market Square, and this major vista point in a National Historic District is going to be a rather plain glass box? As I said before, if we're going to continue to destroy the Exchange through neglect (Peck Bldg.) and demolition (Coronation Block) then just have the designation rescinded as increasingly it's not deserved.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:49 PM

^ We can't be trapped by the past... the Exchange's character will not be eroded by allowing contemporary design. The area is still a part of the living, breathing city.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:10 PM

Quote:
^ We can't be trapped by the past... the Exchange's character will not be eroded by allowing contemporary design. The area is still a part of the living, breathing city.
Nor can we allow the most uniquely historical built environment in Western Canada (yes, I do think the Exchange more is significant than Gastown) to be ruined by the fads of the present. After thirty years I am still saddened by the grand vista that was once Portage Avenue being ruined by two hulking pedestrian skywalks. Again, this is a National Historic District. And yes, it will be eroded, especially at that location, which arguably is the very heart of the Exchange. Plenty of space to build bland glass boxes in the downtown area south of Notre Dame and Portage Avenues.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:30 PM

Where are the details regarding this project anyway? I'm curious as to what it will look like.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:36 PM

This is Bodegoes being demolished? I don't see that as a huge loss. Just depends on what is going in there.

What type and size of glass box? lol

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
This is Bodegoes being demolished? I don't see that as a huge loss. Just depends on what is going in there.

What type and size of glass box? lol
So Bodegoes is being torn down? Kinda liked their patio in the summer - the parking lot in the winter not so much. But depending on what's being replaced there could compliment that corner.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 6:00 PM
BANNED

Visit any city with a vibrant former warehouse district and you will see plenty of new construction.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Visit any city with a vibrant former warehouse district and you will see plenty of new construction.
I agree. Blending the old and the new is very cool (the forks, waterfront drive, north st.b)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I agree. Blending the old and the new is very cool (the forks, waterfront drive, north st.b)
It can be done very well, yes, but that particular parcel of land is not in north St. Boniface nor along the Waterfront, it is in the absolute heart of a National Historic Site directly across from the major public space in the district. Keep in mind too that Waterfront is essentially a new development, as recently as the 80s there was nothing back there save for an old rail spur, and then if I remember correctly they tore up the track and for awhile it was just a gravel road. The developments along Waterfront have done a relatively good job of blending in with the East Exchange particularly with respect to scale. The Mere Hotel is a sore spot with me, not because I dislike the building, I actually quite it like it, but just not there. The entire river side should have been conserved to eventually become a continuous parkway all the way from the Forks to St. John's Park.

Blending the new with the old can also can create an eyesore. Perhaps one of the best examples is the Pantages addition which unfortunately is situated right on Main Street and across from the stunning Union Bank tower. The addition fits the original structure about as well as a tumour.

The property in question is triangular in shape and adjoins the four storey Western Building. A four story addition that fits the shape of the property and corresponds to the scale, colouring and building materials of the adjacent structures would be ideal. Think of the rounded corner of Breadalbane (Ambassador) apartments adjacent to the SE corner or Hargrave and Cumberland. Spectacular.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Blending the new with the old can also can create an eyesore. Perhaps one of the best examples is the Pantages addition which unfortunately is situated right on Main Street and across from the stunning Union Bank tower. The addition fits the original structure about as well as a tumour.
Haha... while I disagree with your other points, I fully agree with your take on the Pantages addition. It's horrible. But that has to do with the shoddy design of that one project, not because it's contemporary.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:45 PM
BANNED

One of the worst examples is the addition to the former Free Press building on Carlton.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
One of the worst examples is the addition to the former Free Press building on Carlton.
Great example. Atrociously wretched attempt at blending in with old architecture. Something unapologetically contemporary would have looked 100% better. Mind you, it was built in the late 90s when aesthetic standards in this city may have reached rock bottom.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:18 PM

I think symbolically having a new modern glass building right in the heart of the exchange will be cool. Kind of shows that the area is on an upward trajectory.
Hopefully this project is done well.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:25 PM

One positive example imo is the new church inside the walls of st b cathedral. It is elegant and understated..

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 10:39 PM
BANNED

Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Great example. Atrociously wretched attempt at blending in with old architecture. Something unapologetically contemporary would have looked 100% better. Mind you, it was built in the late 90s when aesthetic standards in this city may have reached rock bottom.
Marlborough Hotel

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 12:31 AM

Saw this on Facebook... I presume this is what Curmudgeon is talking about? I think it looks pretty nice! Not spectacular, but an improvement at least.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 1:07 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The demolition of the current 1920s building on site, which was once a gas station and had been used recently as a restauant to be replaced by a glass box to be attached to the Western Building (1901) at 90 Albert Street. A complete disregard for the historical significance of the district and its aesthetics.
That's really too bad. Old filling stations are a wonderful part of architectural history but everything must yield before the onslaught of the glass boxes.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2017, 1:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Saw this on Facebook... I presume this is what Curmudgeon is talking about? I think it looks pretty nice! Not spectacular, but an improvement at least.
Yep, much better than what is there now. Looks good. Ideally it would be a few floors higher, but other than that, love all the glass. Obviously it is a part of 90 Albert.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan